Is Rachel Rubin Being Named Interim AD a Good Sign? | The Boneyard

Is Rachel Rubin Being Named Interim AD a Good Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it a good sign for realignment that Rachel Rubin was named interim AD? Does it mean UConn has something in the works and Susan Herbst wants to keep everything under control so the process is followed by a formal offer from a P5 conference? Or, is it a sign that a bureaucrat is going to take over as the permanent AD and focus on cost management and conforming to policies and regulation?

The Courant reports Herbst says: "Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an Associate Athletic Director and is currently Chief of Staff in my office, will serve as interim AD."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a good or bad sign for CR. I think President Herbst would prefer someone to serve as Interim AD who is already embedded in the university fabric. With all of the B12 movement, it would be a terrible time to bring in someone from the outside to serve as Interim with all the catch-up work that person would have to do just to get to Square 1.

Judging from the quick response from President Herbst, she and the school have been planning on the departure for quite a while and probably already have a list of candidates put together that they want to interview. I cringe at the thought of someone other than Herbst as our school President. She has her together.

Reaction Score
Is it a good sign for realignment that Rachel Rubin was named interim AD? Does it mean UConn has something in the works and Susan Herbst wants to keep everything under control so the process is followed by a formal offer from a P5 conference? Or, is it a sign that a bureaucrat is going to take over as the permanent AD and focus on cost management and conforming to policies and regulation?

The Courant reports Herbst says: "Rachel Rubin, who began her career at UConn as an Associate Athletic Director and is currently Chief of Staff in my office, will serve as interim AD."
Reading too much into it with this post...I expect Herbst to hire a AD who has the same metrics that Warde Manuel had when she hired him. Rubin is a very good choice for the acting AD spot...she has worked in the athletic department and was key in getting Herbst to take a close look at Hathaway...exposing him for the useless that he truly was. She IS Susan's right hand and knows EXACTLY what is going on and where UConn stands in CR right now. She probably also has regular contact with Mike Tranghese as well. She is on the search committee and this thing will move quickly.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
How often are job posting get listed on the net. That might get us an idea on who Sue is looking at or is it just too soon?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It doesn't mean anything - somebody has to do the job.

Paul Pendergast took over after Hathaway was fired and he was the interim athletic director for about six months, so don't expect anything to develop too quickly. Hiring an athletic director seems to be the most deliberate thing a school can do these days - takes a while.

Of course, this always seems to happen when expansion is in the wings, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
I don't know if there's anything to read into, but I will tell you from personal experience working with her during the push for the Jazz Memorial; there is NOBODY better on the UConn campus to take care of things while we find our new AD. She is incredible, detailed, competent and bleeds blue through and through. A great person to work with and that statue doesn't get done without her help and determination. I am thrilled and not in the least bit surprised that Susan chose her. We are in great hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom