Is Paige a Great Defensive Player? | The Boneyard

Is Paige a Great Defensive Player?

Reaction Score
We often overlook this aspect of her game, especially in games like last night, where several of her "and 1s" were highlight reel worthy. That is unfortunate because she is truly a great defensive player. There are several things she does that are just exceptional. First is her anticipation not just for the next pass, but for the one after that. The same is true for her anticipation of the next offensive movement of the player she is guarding.

Second, and part and parcel with the first, she has great court vision on defense and you will see her sliding into a position away from her man to stop someone else's man from having a clear path to the basket. She did it last night when Ash was being beaten baseline for example and the DePaul player had to pass the ball out.

Third, she switches flawlessly, as many as 3 times in a row, and does not allow an open lane when she does.

Fourth, she boxes out textbook. She is way out of position as a 4, but rarely gets into foul trouble because she does not foul to get rebounds. She does it the old fashioned way.

Fifth, she moves her feet laterally with great ease and speed and her hands never stop but rarely reach in and foul.

Sixth, and perhaps most importantly, is between the ears. If you haven't seen her play live from good seats, you are missing a great college defensive player. Just don't follow the ball like you would usually do, follow her. It's a pleasure to behold.

Reaction Score
I place defenders into 2 categories...on ball and off ball. On ball she's good and off ball she's a lot better, possibly great. She has long arms and she's a lurker. I suspect if she didn't have to carry so much of the offensive load, then she would be flat out even more aggressive.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I place defenders into 2 categories...on ball and off ball. On ball she's good and off ball she's a lot better, possibly great. She has long arms and she's a lurker. I suspect if she didn't have to carry so much of the offensive load, then she would be flat out even more aggressive.
I actually think Paige has become a great on ball defender this season, particularly when you consider that she’s frequently defending the opposing team’s power forward.

Reaction Score
I actually think Paige has become a great on ball defender this season, particularly when you consider that she’s frequently defending the opposing team’s power forward.
Good point. In that match up she usually has the speed advantage along with those long arms.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good point. In that match up she usually has the speed advantage along with those long arms.
Yes, but It’s the way she battles in the low post when an opposing forward tries to muscle her that has really impressed me. Credit to Andrea Hudy for all the work she’s put in with Paige in the weight room over the past few seasons.

Reaction Score
When you consider what Paige is asked to do offensively, then her defensive effort and impact really come into focus. When you look at other players who contribute offensively like Paige does, then her defensive ability really becomes elite.

Reaction Score
What I like about Paige is she wants to compete on that end. Part of loving the game is loving both sides of the ball and I believe she whole heartedly loves the game. I probably wouldn't go as far as great but I think she is very good.
I agree with the categories and analysis. She's done an admirable job defending 4s and I'm pretty sure would be best in normal scenarios guarding 2s and 3s. She does gamble a bit and obviously will be overpowered in some matchups but she competes.

Reaction Score
In short, Paige is great BB player. To be a great player you need to everything well and Paige certainly does that every night out. The original post outlines her skills very well and are all great points. To me her ability to impact the game on offense and defense without turning the ball over is what makes her the best player in the country.

Reaction Score
What impresses me is her body control and lack of foul trouble game in and game out. She blocks shots, makes steals, deflects passes and makes up for teammates defensive miscues. All that playing out of position. Damn.

Reaction Score
Paige leads the team in blocked shots this year. It was great to see her add that to her defensive game this year.
Considering that she is covering a 4, who is usually much taller and thicker than her, and also that she picks up as an interior player, someone driving from the other team who got past her man, it is an absurd statistic. Her excellence is so subtle at times that it goes unnoticed. I watched her in person at both the away games at Seton Hall and Villanova from very good seats. Once you start, it's hard to take your eyes off her.

Reaction Score
I don't believe she's a great on-the-ball defender. Off-the-ball she does a good job of getting into the passing lanes and anticipating the pass. She's also adept at blocking shots without fouling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom