Is MoJet | The Boneyard

Is MoJet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
the best all-around point guard in the history of the Huskies? (and, if so, does that mean she is the best point guard in the history of wcbb>) Why or why not?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I believe that MoJet received the highest Hoopgurlz Rating of any point guard - 98.

Reaction Score
I'll take Sue and Diana in my backcourt, thanks.

Have to see how next year goes before deciding vs NPOY Jen Rizzotti.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'll take Sue and Diana in my backcourt, thanks.

Have to see how next year goes before deciding vs NPOY Jen Rizzotti.

Sue Bird won the Naismith, AP POY, and Wade Trophy in 2002. Plus the Lieberman Award 3 straight years . In terms of individual awards, she's certainly the most decorated UConn PG.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird won the Naismith, AP POY, and Wade Trophy in 2002. Plus the Lieberman Award 3 straight years . In terms of individual awards, she's certainly the most decorated UConn PG.
And DT won the Lieberman twice while not even being listed as our point guard. And, as VG mentioned, Rizzotti was NPOY. We're holding Mo to a pretty high standard here. How about getting her to WBCA AA first, getting her shirt on the wall, then go from there.

Reaction Score
the best all-around point guard in the history of the Huskies? (and, if so, does that mean she is the best point guard in the history of wcbb>) Why or why not?
MJ can't compare to Taurasi, but nobody can.
As a sophomore / junior Sue Bird was better (watch some old games), but I think MoJet's defense has put her in the conversation and by her senior year she may be at the head of the class if she keeps improving.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Diana was really a 2 who played some PG. When you include both ends of the court MoJett has to be right there in any conversation of best all time PGs at UCONN.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The reason why folks are talking about MoJeff as the best ever is because they know what they see with their eyes. While we certainly historically have some point guards that are quite accomplished... Jen Rizzotti, Sue Bird, DT (shooting guard / PG extroadinaire)...on a lessor note Rita Williams, Renee Montgomery, Maria Conlon... MoJeff's talent and on court bedazzlements are proceeding those eventual accomplishments. While achieving those accomplishments help to pad the resume and build the case...there can be no denying what the eye sees. For example, what if an exceptional point guard from another team were to win the Nancy Lieberman Award for the next two years depriving MoJeff from ever winning it (not that I believe that is going to happen)...would that change the fact that anybody can see that we have a point guard who can handle, pass and shoot the ball with the best of them? MoJeff rarely turns the ball over (3.0 A/TO ratio), she is probably the fastest point guard in the country with the basketball, she is shooting threes at an unbelievable percentage (49.2%) and she is emerging as a vocal leader for the team. She has two rings and could possibly win 1 or 2 more...I think MoJeff deserves to be in the conversation at this point albeit a little to early to conclude anything...but, truth be told we are witnessing the break-out of what very well may be the best point guard we have ever had. Remember Geno's words regarding MoJeff..."Moriah's probably the best point guard we've had here in the last 30 years," Auriemma said. Chris Daley said,"We've never had another one like her."

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She may well be, but I'm not ready to give that to her just yet. We need to complete the four years, but if she keeps going the way she's going...... WOW

Reaction Score
The reason why folks are talking about MoJeff as the best ever is because they know what they see with their eyes........Remember Geno's words regarding MoJeff..."Moriah's probably the best point guard we've had here in the last 30 years," Auriemma said. Chris Daley said,"We've never had another one like her."
Didn't he say that to Sue Bird, as a jab?

Reaction Score
It would be a grave injustice if she were not named to 1st team AA this year
Totally agree. Be prepared tho, voting for teams and players can be really wierdly political in womens bball. Any excuse to vote against UConn seems to be the norm. If you can't beat us, hurt us.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I do know is Moriah at her current rate will be in the top five in total assists and will have a much better assist to turnover ratio than I think anyone in the top ten with a lot of room to spare. She will not end up with as many points but her shooting percentages from 2 and 3 will be among the leaders as well.

For her career she is at about 2.5 A/TO and she has a chance to challenge DT for total assists. The last two years the A/TO ratio is around 3.0, last year she had 195 assists and she should be close to that this year. If she does the same next year, watch out DT!

Steals she will not come close to the record but should be top ten.

Points - she'll be somewhere over 1200

And she will probably have as many or more NCs as anyone, and as many wins.

Definitely in the discussion.

Reaction Score
If MoJeff continues injury free and on the pace she's now on, she will rank statistically by the time she graduates with the best PG's UCONN has ever had! There are parts to Taurasi's, Sue's, Jenn's, Renee's, games that make each stand out, but MoJeff WILL BE considered their equal especially if she reaches 3 or 4 NCAA Championships!
As I stated on another post Stewart/PowerF, Tuck/C, KML/SmallF, and MoJeff/PointG should all be named 1st team AA's as each is the best player in the nation at their position by a wide margin, but the voters have no balls and will only put Stewie on the 1st team! Jewell Loyd should be the ShootingG on the 1st team AA!

Reaction Score
I believe that MoJet received the highest Hoopgurlz Rating of any point guard - 98.
I wouldn't use Hoopgurlz ratings as conclusive evidence of anything. They've missed the boat on numerous occasions, either by rating too low or too high on players. This is not to say that in this particular case, it's borne out that her their ratings proved to accurately rate her as potentially one of the best women's point guards of all time. I'm just saying Hoopgurlz ratings aren't criteria I would use to substantiate anything.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as context: A/TO
Sue: 2.11
DT: 1.84
Jen: 1.57
Rene: 1.80
Rita: 1.10
MO: 2.46 (and that is so low because her freshman year she had 69 assists and 49 TO - she has been much better since and should finish up around 2.70 or better.)

For her career Mo is at .530/.391 shooting. DT =.469/.362, Bird = .481/.459. Ralph is the the best wing/guard in terms of field goal percentage at .579 for her career (pretty amazing!), but as a pure guard Moriah may leave with the best percentage for her career.

Reaction Score
I love MoJeff - love her but right now her career isn't better than Bird. As some posters said "let's wait." Bird had three years playing her soph to sr years. MoJeff hasn't had that opportunity. What if we don't win a title these next two years and say ND beats uis both times and she plays awful? Is she "Sue Bird?"

Like what the poster cferrar says to paraphrase "look at her with your own eyes." I do it - though a bit different than him. I recall MoJeff's frosh year as "solid." I recall last year as very, very, very good. But with my own yes I saw BOTH Stanford and ND leaving her WIDE OPEN. Deliberatley doing so. From what I can recall - if you left Bird wide open like I think Penn State - she made them pay while MoJeff didn't really make ND or Stanford "pay." Now she can - so let's see what MoJeff does in tourney games. The next two year we are going to be the favorites more than likely. If we get beat once and she's bad but strong in the others okay - anyone can have a bad game. But if we don't win titles next two years and she is bad in the games we get beat and mediocre-to-just-pretty-good leading for a game or two in NCAA's leading into those games- then I'm sorry "stats" don't tell the whole picture. The stats would tell us she is great and yes she still would be- but imo not Sue Bird great. THAT - the big game pressure- I would be able to tell "with my own eyes."

With MoJeff the book hasn't been written yet. Like what Al Pacino said in the movie "Scent of a Woman", "I'm just getting started!" Or Gladiator when he says "I will show them something that they've never sen before" MoJeff is staring to "forewarn" us she is "just getting started/ show us something we have never seen before." IMO she needs to show in big game tournaments now.

Reaction Score
Right now, she is certainly in the conversation of all-time UConn point guards.

If she continues on her current trajectory, she is on PG Rushmore with Sue and Jen. Right now I consider Sue Bird to be the top PG in UConn history, but Jefferson is making quite a case for herself and if she remains on this torrid pace, or makes another leap in performance in her senior year, "Oh The Humanity"!!!

The only reason I leave DT out of the PG conversation is because she wasn't locked into the position during her UConn career and since she's the greatest female basketball player of all-time, is in a league of her own.

Reaction Score
There are great shooters and great players, but MoJett is a superhero. Wally East made me think of one in particular. Remember how Flash started to learn how to use his speed? Took a while, just like MoJett. In a recent interview she made the comment that she was just beginning to learn how to go fast "effectively." After the SC game, MoJett is simply in a league of her own, even among the other UConn greats. With her rebounding and inside out passing she is making up for the loss of Steph (5'7") Oh my Gosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom