Is it the play calling? Or do we have the worst OL/RB's in country? | The Boneyard

Is it the play calling? Or do we have the worst OL/RB's in country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Call me old fashioned but I think a halfway competent and competitive OL and running back core should be able to get a yard or 2 up the middle in 5 chances with a game on the line. I think most coaches would also call runs in these situations and most would be able to score as a result and certainly would not get as badly stuffed as we did in 5 tries

Whose fault is it? The play calling or soft players? Both? Seems Diaco is taking the brunt of the blame and probably deserves it but I don't recall weak OL and soft RB's like this even when I was sitting watching 1-AA UConn teams in the 90s.

Reaction Score
The play calling sucks.

We don't have the worst OL in the country but they're not very good.

Really not that complicated.

Reaction Score
The Oline stinks, the QB is not very good, we have a secondary who cannot cover, but yes the play calling is our biggest issue (eye roll).

This team has very serious talent issues, it is hard to win games when you line up guys not as good as the guys across from you.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The OLine and the QB are not great, and I don't think that even the most optimistic person (me) could argue that. But my God with that f#$king playcalling! The guy in front of me and I were having a little game together where we were seeing how often we could be right by calling out a QB-keeper for Shirreffs.

We were both right way too f#$king often... :mad:

Reaction Score
I started coaching football when I was 15 years old. I'm no expert, but I've been around great coaches. I've broken down a lot of film. This offensive line is the root of all evil. They ARE the worst in the country. That SU defense had four starters out on defense. They gave up over 800 yards of offense to Louisville. I know we're no where close to Louisville, but when you're as big up front as we are (one of the biggest in the country) and you can't get 2-yards, that ain't good. There is talent on this team and BS is flawed, absolutely. But, he can make plays when given time. This offense starts and ends in the trenches. Those guys are awful. They rarely create running lanes and on pass plays there is never a clean pocket. I agree the play calling has been questionable, the defense gets gashed often, but when the offense sputters, it's directly related to the offensive lines inability to do there job. They look like Tarzan, but play like Jane. I also believe that the "playing not to lose" mentality of HCBD fosters that. It creates a passive, unaggressive style of play. Teams that win consistently, and I've been involved with winning programs on all levels in multiple sports, put pressure on their opponents. Winning is not about talent. Talent helps, but winning is a mindset. If you fear failure (losing), you've already lost.

Reaction Score
The OLine and the QB are not great, and I don't think that even the most optimistic person (me) could argue that. But my God with that f#$king playcalling! The guy in front of me and I were having a little game together where we were seeing how often we could be right by calling out a QB-keeper for Shirreffs.

We were both right way too f#$king often... :mad:
I've asked the question several times. Is that coaching or shirreffs?
Last comment was that it's on shirreffs.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've asked the question several times. Is that coaching or shirreffs?
Last comment was that it's on shirreffs.

Many of the calls were clearly options for Shirreffs to use. Whether he kept or he gave, it's the same damned play. Over and over and over again. If I can predict what's coming from section 201, imagine what the opposing defense can do with that type of info???

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Many of the calls were clearly options for Shirreffs to use. Whether he kept or he gave, it's the same damned play. Over and over and over again. If I can predict what's coming from section 201, imagine what the opposing defense can do with that type of info???
Really??!!! Give yourself more credit bro lol

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I set it in another post but just like the NHL did they had the one in game with no announcers I think we should have one game with our coaching staff

Reaction Score
The Oline stinks, the QB is not very good, we have a secondary who cannot cover, but yes the play calling is our biggest issue (eye roll).

This team has very serious talent issues, it is hard to win games when you line up guys not as good as the guys across from you.
That's not accurate. There are very capable players on the team. The coach's job it to get the ball in their hands. We have very good TEs, Newsome is a very good (not great) back. Noel is as good as any receiver out there. It's not that hard to get 310 pound lineman moving back lighter/smaller opponents. That is on coaching. We are bigger (but slower) than most SEC teams. No. We are wasting what talent we have by coaches stuck in their scripted philosophy rather than adapting to maximize assets. They suck and anyone defending the staff needs their head examined for Stockholm Syndrome.

Reaction Score
Yeah no matter how incompetent the coaches are it's the players fault. Maine had great talent too.

Reaction Score
That's not accurate. There are very capable players on the team. The coach's job it to get the ball in their hands. We have very good TEs, Newsome is a very good (not great) back. Noel is as good as any receiver out there. It's not that hard to get 310 pound lineman moving back lighter/smaller opponents. That is on coaching. We are bigger (but slower) than most SEC teams. No. We are wasting what talent we have by coaches stuck in their scripted philosophy rather than adapting to maximize assets. They suck and anyone defending the staff needs their head examined for Stockholm Syndrome.

That Stockholm Syndrome is perpetuated by people using the PP GDL years as the measuring stick. Insanity.

Reaction Score
Oh we have good TEs? Cool, that should be all we need.

The talent on this team is no where close to where it needs to be. You are right we are big and slow, but that is not what you want FYI.

If you watch college football on a weekly basis and think this UConn team is talented you are living in a fantasy world.

Reaction Score

This is pure bulls**t, we have been badly outcoached every game this season.

Reaction Score
I started coaching football when I was 15 years old. I'm no expert, but I've been around great coaches. I've broken down a lot of film. This offensive line is the root of all evil. They ARE the worst in the country. That SU defense had four starters out on defense. They gave up over 800 yards of offense to Louisville. I know we're no where close to Louisville, but when you're as big up front as we are (one of the biggest in the country) and you can't get 2-yards, that ain't good. There is talent on this team and BS is flawed, absolutely. But, he can make plays when given time. This offense starts and ends in the trenches. Those guys are awful. They rarely create running lanes and on pass plays there is never a clean pocket. I agree the play calling has been questionable, the defense gets gashed often, but when the offense sputters, it's directly related to the offensive lines inability to do there job. They look like Tarzan, but play like Jane. I also believe that the "playing not to lose" mentality of HCBD fosters that. It creates a passive, unaggressive style of play. Teams that win consistently, and I've been involved with winning programs on all levels in multiple sports, put pressure on their opponents. Winning is not about talent. Talent helps, but winning is a mindset. If you fear failure (losing), you've already lost.
Year 3 now with Diaco's boy Mike Cummings coaching them...he was a unmitigated disaster as an OC...and now he has to get help from Verducci...who has been written about helping Cummings during practice coaching the line. Time is up on him...he and Diaco are close but it isn't working out.

Reaction Score
Oh we have good TEs? Cool, that should be all we need.

The talent on this team is no where close to where it needs to be. You are right we are big and slow, but that is not what you want FYI.

If you watch college football on a weekly basis and think this UConn team is talented you are living in a fantasy world.
I think your argument loses all credibility when we can't move a Maine DL. Are they SEC or B1G level players on average? No. Are they on par with SU? Yes. The game was lost by failing to utilize assets and cover deficiencies. Are they better than Navy? Yes, but lost to a slower, smaller team.

Reaction Score
I think your argument loses all credibility when we can't move a Maine DL. Are they SEC or B1G level players on average? No. Are they on par with SU? Yes. The game was lost by failing to utilize assets and cover deficiencies. Are they better than Navy? Yes, but lost to a slower, smaller team.
Wait you claim we have good players, but our OL cannot move the DL of a FCS team? What are saying

Reaction Score
Wait you claim we have good players, but our OL cannot move the DL of a FCS team? What are saying
I'm saying precisely that. If substantially bigger, stronger players can't move an inferior sized line consistently, then it's down to poor technique and bad scheme. Those are jobs for a coach. There's always going to be those who refuse to see the obvious. Thanks for filling that role.

Reaction Score
I'm saying precisely that. If substantially bigger, stronger players can't move an inferior sized line consistently, then it's down to poor technique and bad scheme. Those are jobs for a coach. There's always going to be those who refuse to see the obvious. Thanks for filling that role.
A. Diaco is not the offensive line coach; and,
B. Just because you are big does not mean you are talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom