Is Geno more of an offensive coach? | The Boneyard

Is Geno more of an offensive coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley: "It has to fit. You can't force it to fit into what you are trying to accomplish with the personnel you have....I have been known as a defensive coach. Probably as much time as he spends on offense, I have had to spend on defense. That is why we are very, very good defensively. That's the reason they are very, very good offensively. He spends a lot of time on it."
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/auriemma-south-carolinas-staley-know-each-other-well/163868448

Of course, UConn is unrelenting on offense. But this year, at least, I think of the Huskies as having even greater intensity on the defensive side. Their defense creates their incredible transition game, IMO.

Reaction Score
DEFENSE.JPG

UCONN's biggest achievement in defense is consistency. I took this picture at the Nashville FF and UCONN has played 62 games since then. The have only allowed one opponent, on one night to shoot over 50% in the last 434 games. Against all the great teams they have played, only N.D. was able to shoot over 50%, one time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
An exciting offense puts fannies in the seats. Defense and rebounding wins championships. I beleive Geno said that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Above everything else UCONN has always taught tenacious defense. If one does not understand this one will never control UCONN's offense.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Above everything else UCONN has always taught tenacious defense. If one does not understand this one will never control UCONN's offense.

Absolutely, since UConn routinely generates good offensive opportunities due to steals, TO's, blocks, etc..
I do think, based on some of the articles and discussions through the years, that Geno has invested more time learning about offenses, tinkering, auditing other coaches thoughts, etc. Whether it's because he felt he needed to, was just intellectually curious about it, or felt that it was underdeveloped in WCBB, I can't say.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised that Dawn characterizes Geno as an offensive-minded coach to her defensive orientation. Yes, his team's, since the mid-90's, play relentless uptempo offense, even in the half court, but the eye test indicates that the D generates the O.

Ya can't run as effectively when the other team scores, and experience and the stats demonstrate that teams have difficulty scoring on UConn. That is D.

This said, the D this year has been impressive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno's genius has been to realize that there are two co-equal and complementary side to basketball and that excelling in one areas actually helps you in the other. I'm not sure Stewie or Moriah would agree with Dawn that Geno spends more time on offense than he does on defense or that Geno's is a better "offensive" coach .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm willing to give Dawn the benefit of the doubt on this one. Perhaps, and I say perhaps, she meant that with this group of young ladies she has had to teach more defense than offense. Perhaps more than she wanted. Perhaps she implied with his current group Geno has had to teach more offense than deference. Excuse the misspell. I just removed my rose colored glasses.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
View attachment 11968

UCONN's biggest achievement in defense is consistency. I took this picture at the Nashville FF and UCONN has played 62 games since then. The have only allowed one opponent, on one night to shoot over 50% in the last 434 games. Against all the great teams they have played, only N.D. was able to shoot over 50%, one time.
I wonder what the comparable numbers for South Carolina would be right now. I am guessing that they are probably not too different. If UConn shot over 50% in last year's game (and I think they did), it is probably the only time in the last few years that has occurred. But I really don't know.

I would agree with Dawn that UConn and South Carolina are more similar on defense than they are on offense, if that is what she meant.

Reaction Score
View attachment 11968

If you are the opponent, that stat should be both mind-boggling and terrifying.

Reaction Score
I wonder, having worked with Geno for USA basketball, if Dawn was thinking about the amount of time he reportedly spends teaching the pros the type of fluid offense that intuitively reacts to exploit the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom