Is Colonial Life Arena SC biggest weapon? | The Boneyard

Is Colonial Life Arena SC biggest weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much is being made in the South Carolina media that a sold out (18,000 seats) CLA is going to be definitive in defeating UCONN. The assessment down there is UCONN will be negatively impacted by the screaming SC fans and by inference, unnerved. While it is also recognized that UCONN has played before large crowds before, they consider their CLA fans to be imbued with special powers to insure a victory. I agree that SC wins the attendance war, but I disagree that they therefore win the game.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It's our first sellout for a women's game. Just a few years ago we struggled to get 5,000 per game. Now we average over 14,000 per game. Tonight there will be 18,000 there. That's HUGE for us.

Regardless of who that sellout came against (we've been close before), it was going to be a big deal when it came. It's another stepping stone for our program.

The Huskies are road warriors, so the fact that the SC media considers a sold out CLA an advantage shouldn't be a slight to UCONN. It's an opportunity. CLA being sold out will not determine the outcome, but it just may play a hand in it, mainly for UCONN's younger players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to South Carolina fans, UConn WCBB:

1. Never plays on the road
2. Has never played a big game on the road
3. Has never played in an arena as loud as CLA

We might as well just forfeit because we're dooooooomed!
Let's see if we can get the truth from these same fans as it relates to:
4. The landing on the moon or Nah
5. 2nd shooter in the grassy knoll for Kennedy killing.

This is eye opening for me!

This is the 21st time UCONN has been in a #1 vs. #2 matchup. It will be South Carolina's 2nd.

Reaction Score
Over the years I have seen many arena's go very silent when the home team starts to get
drubbed badly. Should the Huskies get off to a big lead early the home crowd will be silenced.
Foul trouble could be a factor in this contest depending on the officiating.

Against ranked teams South Carolina has averaged 70.4 points and the Huskies 84.6 points.
I would expect a competitive game and it should be a good game. We really do need a competitive
game as we may not see another one until mid tournament. Go Huskies!!

The Huskies are a 11.5 point favorite tonight.

Reaction Score
SC has been to the wars the past few years, but I believe Dawn must be working hard to make sure that the 18k home fans don't negatively impact her own team. Too much adrenaline is not a performers friend.

I would expect the first minutes might be sloppy, but UConn settles in.

How good/exciting the game is will be determined by how quickly SC settles down. If it takes them too long, we know the outcome.

Reaction Score
According to Massey UConn has the lowest home court advantage of any of the major teams, coming in 1 -1.5 points lower than most. Why? Because they are less adversely affected on the road than other teams. A packed CLA could be a small factor, congratulations by the way, but don't count on UConn being somehow intimidated.

Reaction Score
To those who really believe that CLA being sold out with 18,000 screaming fans will be an advantage for SoCar tonight, I have a bridge in Brooklyn, NY to sell you!
Every game UCONN plays is a HOME game! They are the least effected Division I team at away games!
The sold out Joyce Center in South Bend was a huge advantage to ND last year when UCONN beat ND by 28 points!
The present UCONN squad has played in Conference Tournament Finals, NCAA Tournament games and Final Fours! While all the younger players have played on USA Basketball teams for Championships across the globe!
If it goes according to UCONN's usual game plan the crowd will be taken out of the game 8 minutes in when the Huskies have their first ten point lead!
As I've said in several other threads how can SoCar score 75+ points and hold UCONN to the low 70's to win the game! UCONN has too many possible scorers and their defense is the most ferocious in the nation for the full 40 minutes!
Final score UCONN 80 SoCar 52

HGN

Reaction Score
It's our first sellout for a women's game. Just a few years ago we struggled to get 5,000 per game. Now we average over 14,000 per game. Tonight there will be 18,000 there. That's HUGE for us.

Regardless of who that sellout came against (we've been close before), it was going to be a big deal when it came. It's another stepping stone for our program.

The Huskies are road warriors, so the fact that the SC media considers a sold out CLA an advantage shouldn't be a slight to UCONN. It's an opportunity. CLA being sold out will not determine the outcome, but it just may play a hand in it, mainly for UCONN's younger players.
SCGamecock , the crowd will indeed be a big factor in your favor..............as long as SC has a lead. But don't let UConn get double digit lead. Or have the lead in the 4th qtr. That's when you will need noise. And lots of it. If our Huskies can stuff enough points in the mouths of the fans , 18,000 won't help you then. Stewie , Moriah , Nurse , and Tuck have played on big stages before. It won't bother them as much. Its our bench players that the crowd may have an effect on.

Regardless , this should be a great game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last year team galvanized as a team on a trip to ND-per Stewie's own words. This year team will use this trip to South Carolina to do the same. It's a business trip -they will be business like. Not a guarantee they won't play poorly or heaven's forbid lose the game but managing the crown of 5 or 18, 000 is part of taking care of business.

HGN

Reaction Score
Last year team galvanized as a team on a trip to ND-per Stewie's own words. This year team will use this trip to South Carolina to do the same. It's a business trip -they will be business like. Not a guarantee they won't play poorly or heaven's forbid lose the game but managing the crown of 5 or 18, 000 is part of taking care of business.
CoCo , as I recall , that's the trip where Natalie paid her own way to the game to cheer her teammates on. Causing a huge boost in morale and spirit. It won't be needed tonight because this game is so huge it needs nothing extra except to be played.

GO HUSKIES!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Let's see if we can get the truth from these same fans as it relates to:
4. The landing on the moon or Nah
5. 2nd shooter in the grassy knoll for Kennedy killing.

This is eye opening for me!

This is the 21st time UCONN has been in a #1 vs. #2 matchup. It will be South Carolina's 2nd.

3rd, actually. I was at the first in 1981 for my first WBB game when I was in high school. Kim Mulkey was the opposing point guard. I've disliked her ever since.

Reaction Score

Sandlapper, yourself and many here are missing a few points . The first being you folks should be thanking UCONN for the sellout which leads to the second. DON'T for a moment think the additional 4-5000 tickets sold over the average attendance went to SC fans only. ;) The Carolinas are loaded with CT retirees and they just love the lady Huskies! They have fans across the entire country.
Last but not least one of the reasons the girls come here is because they know they will always be playing to a good sized crowd whether home or away, they feed off it! And Gino :D........

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sandlapper, yourself and many here are missing a few points . The first being you folks should be thanking UCONN for the sellout which leads to the second. DON'T for a moment think the additional 4-5000 tickets sold over the average attendance went to SC fans only. ;) The Carolinas are loaded with CT retirees and they just love the lady Huskies! They have fans across the entire country.
Last but not least one of the reasons the girls come here is because they know they will always be playing to a good sized crowd whether home or away, they feed off it! And Gino :D...

I'm sure there will be 800-1000 UCONN fans there tonight, but the biggest attendance difference is that students picked up their entire 4000 ticket allotment, while they usually only pickup 1000-1500.

Reaction Score
I agree with Woof 101. I am a loyal UCONN fan now living in South Carolina. I bought season tickets for $30 a piece just so I could go to this game with a friend who also moved to South Carolina when he retired. Should be a great game and looking forward to cheering UCONN to a win.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3rd, actually. I was at the first in 1981 for my first WBB game when I was in high school. Kim Mulkey was the opposing point guard. I've disliked her ever since.
At least you have a good reason to dislike her, I'm still looking for one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CoCo , as I recall , that's the trip where Natalie paid her own way to the game to cheer her teammates on. Causing a huge boost in morale and spirit. It won't be needed tonight because this game is so huge it needs nothing extra except to be played.

GO HUSKIES!!
Yes it was exactly this game of which KML said upon Natalie's later arrival " All right The TEAM is all here now, let's go! "

Reaction Score
I agree with Woof 101. I am a loyal UCONN fan now living in South Carolina. I bought season tickets for $30 a piece just so I could go to this game with a friend who also moved to South Carolina when he retired. Should be a great game and looking forward to cheering UCONN to a win.
You got a season ticket for $30? No wonder SC leads the country in atendance!

Reaction Score
According to South Carolina fans, UConn WCBB:

1. Never plays on the road
2. Has never played a big game on the road
3. Has never played in an arena as loud as CLA

We might as well just forfeit because we're dooooooomed!

As A South Carolina fan, I have not seen that posted on any of our boards. More like "Oh noes - UCONN might get fired up by the environment." WE are aware of the history of the titanic wars between UCONN and Summit's Vols in front of huge crowds. That is to say, "We know you've been there MANY times before." We know we are number two for a reason.

Not gonna' wish you luck - you don't need it. I'll wish you a clean, injury-free game instead.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Last but not least one of the reasons the girls come here is because they know they will always be playing to a good sized crowd whether home or away, they feed off it! And Gino :D...

Oh yes, how could I forget. All praises to the mighty Husky. Shame on me, really. :cool:

Reaction Score
Over the years I have seen many arena's go very silent when the home team starts to get
drubbed badly. Should the Huskies get off to a big lead early the home crowd will be silenced.
Foul trouble could be a factor in this contest depending on the officiating.

Against ranked teams South Carolina has averaged 70.4 points and the Huskies 84.6 points.
I would expect a competitive game and it should be a good game. We really do need a competitive
game as we may not see another one until mid tournament. Go Huskies!!

The Huskies are a 11.5 point favorite tonight.
Where did you find this info? I have tried to find these odds posted on all the Los Vegas sites.No luck.
My USC friends want me to give them 20 pts.. I would to show them this is unrealistic. (regardless of what I think.)
Thank for any help you can give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger