Is a win against Stony Brook more important than preparation? | The Boneyard

Is a win against Stony Brook more important than preparation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He (Diaco) also said both Casey Cochran and Chandler Whitmer will take snaps at quarterback against Stony Brook.

“We’re in our preparation phase,” Diaco said. “We need to get better as a team each week. To get better as team, everybody needs to play.”

Which begs the question, is a win more important than playing everyone so we can get better? Was the answer obvious last week? Many seem okay with this.

I'm just asking.

Reaction Score
He (Diaco) also said both Casey Cochran and Chandler Whitmer will take snaps at quarterback against Stony Brook.

“We’re in our preparation phase,” Diaco said. “We need to get better as a team each week. To get better as team, everybody needs to play.”

Which begs the question, is a win more important than playing everyone so we can get better? Was the answer obvious last week? Many seem okay with this.

I'm just asking.

It's Monday of week 2 of the season. Only seems fair to assume preparation mode is preparing game plans, depth charts, etc. for game 2. People are reading way too far into every word, sentence and reference. Good lord people.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm with Jimmy. I'm guessing we'll see rotations until it's time to win. If we're kicking FGs down 7 with 10 seconds to play, then we can melt down.

I *think* that the rotation stuff will play to our advantage at several positions, specifically in the running game.

Reaction Score
He gets two data points for every player that gets into both games. 1) how did they perform against a 41 RPI team. 2) how did they perform against a 187 RPI team?

Then the staff can dissect why they did or did not play well in both games. You don't need even number of reps to be able to get that info.

We have to win this game to have any hope of being bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
There are some things you can't simulate in practice. So I'm ok with him using these games as prep time as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game. I thought we had a shot at BYU, but they (and Hill) were better than I thought. So I don't think we win that game. We will beat SB. And Boise St. is there for the taking. So for me, I want to see how we come out for game 3 (which is the final dress rehearsal). That will tell us a lot.

Reaction Score
He gets two data points for every player that gets into both games. 1) how did they perform against a 41 RPI team. 2) how did they perform against a 187 RPI team?

Then the staff can dissect why they did or did not play well in both games. You don't need even number of reps to be able to get that info.

We have to win this game to have any hope of being bowl eligible.

That's exactly it. "We have to win this game to have any hope of being bowl eligible." I get what he is doing. But wining has to be the priority this week. It wasn't last week.

Reaction Score
Once again, he is master baiting on the boneyard.
I'm just taking the coach at his word. Read my initial post. I think this is a fair question and one that deserves some conversation.

Reaction Score
It is a legit question. I was partly joking. He can't take the podium after losing to Stony Brook and rationalize the same way after a loss to BYU, and not lose credibility. I think he realizes that, otherwise we should get ready for another dose of empty cupboards talk.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In a perfect world, a win is the result of preparation.

Reaction Score
I'm just taking the coach at his word. Read my initial post. I think this is a fair question and one that deserves some conversation.
Sadly, I agree. I understand playing for the future. But when a coach gives the impression that he wasn't even trying, and some of his calls also give that impression, I'm not sure what to think. You can play for 2015 and beyond if you want. Lots of new coaches do that. But at least make it look like you're trying to win the games you play. You think it is better to play 22 freshmen, play 22 freshmen with a play to try and win the game. Play 22 freshmen and just go with them...there are only 12 games on the schedule. You have to try and win 12. You don't throw up a white flag in any "just to get data points."

BYU was a tough out. I get that. But UConn had a shot to get back in the game and we've all seen better teams panic when the weaker team makes a run. Somebody tries to make a play that isn't there and drops the ball on the ground. A quarterback tries to hit a covered receiver, all sorts of things can happen when a team you are knocking around is suddenly scoring points. Happens all the time in college. I actually didn't have a huge problem with the fake field goal. I didn't like the way it was run, the execution, and I thought it was a strange call on 4th & 12. But at least it showed some courage. But the 50 players and the 2 quarterback thing was beyond strange. the late figgie down 3 scores for "practice"... changing qbs in the red zone was unthinkable. Spiked the drive right there. had we scored htere and made it 21-14 would we have won the football game? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

Final point. I agree with Fishy. there is no question to which the answer is it is ok to lose to Stony Brook.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bottom line is to beat Stony Brook. That's it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pretty much what I said earlier. And I agree.
Sorry, I must have missed it. It was a sane response to a peculiar question.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Taking the "master bait", you would hope they could do both. Win and prepare. No reason why this is mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom