Iphone5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iphone5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not promoting you get the HTC EVO as it is now outdated. The video does describe the mentality of some of those who want the iPhone.

The Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR Maxx are both super stable phones that are not plastic like the Samsung. The Droid RAZR M is coming out soon as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If you are here asking for a phone I'd say get the Apple.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. New shape sucks. Nokia 920

Reaction Score
I love my iPhone 4S, but there's no way I'm upgrading to the 5. I'll wait until at least the next gen.

Reaction Score
Should I get it or not?

depends on whether you're a mac or windows guy at home. Android has all the same features and a bigger screen, but it's a pain the butt in the same way that working with windows is a pain in the butt. but if you're used to it, and don't mind having to fiddle with settings all the time to make stuff work together, then it'll work out fine for you. iPhone is easier to work with out of the box.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
depends on whether you're a mac or windows guy at home. Android has all the same features and a bigger screen, but it's a pain the butt in the same way that working with windows is a pain in the butt. but if you're used to it, and don't mind having to fiddle with settings all the time to make stuff work together, then it'll work out fine for you. iPhone is easier to work with out of the box.

Yes, easier out of the box, and hope you like how it does things, because almost nothing can be changed. No customization. Apple expects you to change the way you think and do things to match them. I like my iPhone, but it is extremely limiting and frustrating at times.

At this point, the iPhone isn't the best device, but it has the same thing going for it that Windows and MS Office did for so long, it dominates the ecosystem. Free texts to other Apple devices for example. I think most people get them so that they have the same thing as everyone else. A Windows phone is to the iPhone was the Mac was to the PC.

Reaction Score
Yes, easier out of the box, and hope you like how it does things, because almost nothing can be changed. No customization. Apple expects you to change the way you think and do things to match them. I like my iPhone, but it is extremely limiting and frustrating at times.
Too true.

Apple products, to me, have always been the "for Dummies" version of the competition.

Apple products are for people who want something out of the box that works, without fuss or adjustment, and who are willing to pay a stiff premium for it and live with the fact that it can't be modded, for the most part. It's also for people who actually care what their laptop looks like. Heard a dude once - at least I thought he was a dude until I heard him - gets all emotional because he had scratched his power-book cover.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you appreciate a company that cares about design and detail and then actual supports their product, you will appreciate Apple.

If you don't, get whatever phone is cheapest.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you appreciate a company that cares about design and detail and then actual supports their product, you will appreciate Apple.

If you don't, get whatever phone is cheapest.

Love design details like the glass back that adds weight and requires cases to obscure the design. Or the gorgeous wrap around antenna that doesn't work unless you conceal it with rubber or plastic. Humor follows: Apple Fanatics Say

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My Rolex probably weighs more than your Timex.

Too much glass and metal, perhaps. They can fix that with the next redesign maybe.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My Rolex probably weighs more than your Timex.

Too much glass and metal, perhaps. They can fix that with the next redesign maybe.

I like mine. It is elegantly designed. But not perfect, and definitely not the best device for everyone. I wouldn't go Android. The open source experiment means the whole platform is a mess. Windows phone is seriously good and more people should see if it fits their needs. Nokia, Samsung and HTC make good hardware. Blackberry is doomed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I actually don't have a Rolex, but the Rolex-Timex thing amused me.

My watch is a very plasticky Suunto. I don't have an iPhone at the moment either. (I am creative in how I kill phones and my last victim was an iPhone.)

We have a lot of mobile lines in the office which makes using a new phone just a matter of moving a SIM card from one to whatever ATT just delivered. I'm actually using two Samsungs at the moment - an S3 which is a miserable piece of plastic and a Galaxy Note which is not.

I don't mind Android at least in the way Google delivers it. The upgrade path is a mess and the carrier/manufacturer skins are abysmal, but I don't the stock OS and I am actually pretty fond of the Cyanogen custom versions.

We actually do have a couple of Windows phones as well - I used one for a month and then stopped. There was nothing wrong with it, but the apps I liked were not always there and one particular design aesthetic drove me nuts....the white space. Apps that followed the MS aesthetic were almost designed with frames - borders on top, border to the left and then the body of the content was squeezed and had to be scrolled to.

Reaction Score
I just have a problem with apple products that if I want to hook them up to any computer and load some mp3s or movies onto them you can't. You have to have it hooked up to your own computer synced to itunes. There is no other way unless you install itunes on the computer you want to copy files from and sync your phone to that potentially losing your existing files. That crap is pretty much unacceptable to me.

With android it's child's play and works pretty much like a USB memory stick. Don't even mention navigation, built-in sync with gmail, google calendar, your picasa photos, google drive etc.

Finally for a high end phone to go with anything but an HD amoled screen is just a cheap cop-out (looking at you too HTC). Reading kindle at night with white text on black background is a revelation with Amoled. You don't look at LCD the same way ever again after that.

Reaction Score
I'm switching to the iPhone from a Droid X for the same reason that I switched to a Mac for my new laptop. It has nothing to do with the software and everything to do with the terrible hardware that seems to be all over the place. I got one year out of my droid x where it was great and the last year has been nothing but problems. Shuts off about four times a day for no reason, takes forever to open any application, buttons randomly disappear, etc.

Reaction Score

At this point, the iPhone isn't the best device, but it has the same thing going for it that Windows and MS Office did for so long, it dominates the ecosystem. Free texts to other Apple devices for example. I think most people get them so that they have the same thing as everyone else. A Windows phone is to the iPhone was the Mac was to the PC.

How much customization did we have before there was an iPhone? Pretty much none. Some people like to tinker under the hood. Some just want their device to work. I'm in the latter category. So it's the iPhone for me.

Reaction Score
Given the trend that the iPhone5 has set, I'm going to wait until they introduce the iPhone10 before I jump into the Apple orgy:
iPhone-10.jpeg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm switching to the iPhone from a Droid X for the same reason that I switched to a Mac for my new laptop. It has nothing to do with the software and everything to do with the terrible hardware that seems to be all over the place. I got one year out of my droid x where it was great and the last year has been nothing but problems. Shuts off about four times a day for no reason, takes forever to open any application, buttons randomly disappear, etc.

Exact same situation I'm in. I'm going from the X to a 4S. Why? Because I don't like data sharing (even though it's inevitable). Because I don't need a phone with a gigantic screen. Because I don't need or have great access to 4G or want to pay the increase for it (my monthly plan is already $150). But mostly because this phone is the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen, and has sworn me off Motorola forever.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Got a chance to play with a Nokia 900 running Windows Phone 7 over the weekend. With the exception of no "Watch ESPN" app, it was superior to my iPhone 4 in almost every respect. Much much faster and more responsive. Build quality was at least equal. Full Office suite (an area where the iPhone is terrible). Media apps about equal. Better contacts and integration of contacts with social media apps. Browser was just as good, but faster loading. Way more useful home screen. It was impressive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are bat s*** crazy.

I dare you to buy a Windows Phone.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You are bat s*** crazy.

I dare you to buy a Windows Phone.

I'm going to. Have you actually tried the new ones? Android is crap...wouldn't touch it, but the new Windows phones are nice.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have a Focus and a Focus Flash here.

I can honestly say that they are the only phones that always found their way back into the supply closet - no one wanted to keep them.

The tiles are fine and all and I like the picture tile a lot just because my kid is cute, but I really dislike the way things look on it - huge Segoe fonts with tons of empty white space and large borders - brings back the bad old days of frames on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom