iPad2 | The Boneyard

iPad2

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have an iPad, and love it for surfing the 'net, email, etc. Is the iPad2 that much of an improvement? I may be looking to trade up, if it is worth it.

Reaction Score
Love Ipad too. I bought Ipad2 only because my kids "took" my Ipad1. Ipad2 is lighter,thinner, has a camera, & faster processor. If I were thinking of upgrade now, I'd wait for Ipad3 that's rumored to be out in first half next yr.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I have an iPad, and love it for surfing the 'net, email, etc. Is the iPad2 that much of an improvement? I may be looking to trade up, if it is worth it.

I don't know anyone who upgraded after reading comparisons like this below. No "must have" refinements.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/07/upgrade-original-ipad-ipad-2/

The iPad 3 OTOH is shaping up to be a winner. Apple's been hoarding the good stuff for 2012 to ward of the Windows 8 Tsunami this Fall.

The 15-inch Mac Air Pro, iPhone 5, and iPad 3 are the first line defense. 2011 was a boring Apple year. 2012 could be the Apple apocalypse (or WIntel's). The iPad3 line will be announced at the Feb Apple show and available in March--which means discounts on iPad 2. Multiple models are rumored (better processor, a smaller screen size model with long life battery, and a 10 inch high resolution 2048×1536 model). Siri, etc.

My 2C.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wait for the iPad 3. The improvements inthe 2 over the one are mostly speed and weight and I think the camera. Be patient andholdtight.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
My iPad1 has been annoyingly slow since the iOS5 update so an upgrade to the iPad2 would be very noticeable imo ... but I would also wait for the iPad3 as well ... it's only a few months.

Reaction Score
Wait for the ipad 3- you will get a lot bigger upgrade.

Reaction Score
Wait for the 3. I've heard will be starting production of the ipad3 at the end of year and devices ready by Feb/March for an April release. Also the new iOS 5.1 beta references a new ipad model.

Reaction Score

What does this have to do with basketball? Please title as an OT and follow forum rules

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
What does this have to do with basketball? Please title as an OT and follow forum rules

lol......yeah, just because you own/run the site doesn't mean you don't have to put OT in your posts! Such a disregard of rules will lead to anarchy ... anarchy I say! Just think what would happen if people like you were teaching the young people in our country?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have the first iPad - I've bought the iPad 2 as gifts for the inlaws, my mother, etc.

It's a nice bump up in speed, but you're closer to the release of the iPad3 than we are removed from the iPad2 release - I'd wait.

Reaction Score
I travel a decent amount and my kids like to skype with me (can't use Facetime because we have a pc at home) so I have the ipad2. My wife has the ipad1. I don't game so I don't notice the speed difference. The size/weight reduction is nice, but not totally necessary. The camera is really the only difference if you needed it, but you've made it this far without one so I agree that you can wait. I always look for at least a 2 generation jump when spending that much money.

Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who upgraded after reading comparisons like this below. No "must have" refinements.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/07/upgrade-original-ipad-ipad-2/

The iPad 3 OTOH is shaping up to be a winner. Apple's been hoarding the good stuff for 2012 to ward of the Windows 8 Tsunami this Fall.

The 15-inch Mac Air Pro, iPhone 5, and iPad 3 are the first line defense. 2011 was a boring Apple year. 2012 could be the Apple apocalypse (or WIntel's). The iPad3 line will be announced at the Feb Apple show and available in March--which means discounts on iPad 2. Multiple models are rumored (better processor, a smaller screen size model with long life battery, and a 10 inch high resolution 2048×1536 model). Siri, etc.

My 2C.
Do you know what the timing is on te iPhone 5? I'm about to get the 4s, but if the 5 is only a few months away, I'll wait.

Reaction Score
What none of you know is that the glass on the iphones starting with 4s and the ipad starting with 2 are inferior. If you never drop it or expose it to a hard abrasive, you will be fine. Still, the screens on these newer Apple devices are significantly inferior to the droid comparables and the gap between them in quality is only going to increase over time. Apple is in the early stages of their big fall.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Do you know what the timing is on te iPhone 5? I'm about to get the 4s, but if the 5 is only a few months away, I'll wait.
iPhone 5 is probably at least 9 months away. The 4S just came out and they usually have a year between releases. I pretty sure one thing they are waiting on is to have the 4G radio on the SoC (System on a Chip) and those won't be available until the first half of '12. They can't release the iPhone 5 without 4G and the power issues are huge. Most 4G droid phones have a hard time making it through a day if you leave the 4G radio on. One nice thing about iPhones is you can usually sell a previous generation for a decent % of the original price, so if you don't mind going that route - get the 4S now and when the 5 comes out, pick it up and resell your 4S.

Reaction Score
As much as I love technology, it's the curse of the 21st century. As soon as you buy the iPad3 or GadgetX it's just a matter of time that GadgetY comes out and you want to kick yourself in the ass for not holding out.

Reaction Score
iPhone 5 is probably at least 9 months away. The 4S just came out and they usually have a year between releases. I pretty sure one thing they are waiting on is to have the 4G radio on the SoC (System on a Chip) and those won't be available until the first half of '12. They can't release the iPhone 5 without 4G and the power issues are huge. Most 4G droid phones have a hard time making it through a day if you leave the 4G radio on. One nice thing about iPhones is you can usually sell a previous generation for a decent % of the original price, so if you don't mind going that route - get the 4S now and when the 5 comes out, pick it up and resell your 4S.
I have the Droid Bionic and it lasts my entire work day and some. When I enable an app Juice Defender it still have around 80% battery when I'm on the way home from work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Apple will wait as long as they usually do between the 4S and 5. I think they came out with the 4S because of their Chip Set issues with 4G and went with an updated 3G phone in 2011 to bridge the gap between the 4 and 5. I think as soon as they can ramp up the production of the 5 they'll turn the page on the 4S and fire up the 5.

I'm not a big Apple fan as far as their control freak business practices which includes price control. I know their products are high quality and a lot less buggy than the Android phones, but I like how there are multiple manufacturers constantly bringing new product to market, competing with each other. Oh, and I'm a widget guy...hum...that doesn't sound right for some reason. :)

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have the Droid Bionic and it lasts my entire work day and some. When I enable an app Juice Defender it still have around 80% battery when I'm on the way home from work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Apple will wait as long as they usually do between the 4S and 5. I think they came out with the 4S because of their Chip Set issues with 4G and went with an updated 3G phone in 2011 to bridge the gap between the 4 and 5. I think as soon as they can ramp up the production of the 5 they'll turn the page on the 4S and fire up the 5.

I'm not a big Apple fan as far as their control freak business practices which includes price control. I know their products are high quality and a lot less buggy than the Android phones, but I like how there are multiple manufacturers constantly bringing new product to market, competing with each other. Oh, and I'm a widget guy...hum...that doesn't sound right for some reason. :)
You obviously don't play Angry Birds....

Reaction Score
A friend of mine travels to Singapore frequently for his job, he recently told me that if I wanted an ipad, he could get me one for half price. This is what he went on to describe, the Apple ipad is made in China, the plant has 4 assembly lines that can churn out ipads depending on demand. At the plant, they usually are running 2 lines, and from time to time, they run a third line which makes ipads under a different manufacturing Chinese name that Apple is either unaware of or turns a blind eye on. The tech manuals are identicle and the software is hacked to dissplay the psuedo Chinese manufacturing name. He also stated that obviously there's no warranty or tech support.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
What none of you know is that the glass on the iphones starting with 4s and the ipad starting with 2 are inferior. If you never drop it or expose it to a hard abrasive, you will be fine. Still, the screens on these newer Apple devices are significantly inferior to the droid comparables and the gap between them in quality is only going to increase over time. Apple is in the early stages of their big fall.

This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me ... you have a link? Apple is one of the very few that use Gorilla Glass (I believe the new Droid RAZR uses it, but the Galaxy Nexus won't) ... it's as tough a glass as there is. Sure, you can't really drop it from large heights ... but my 4S screen is noticeably more sturdy than my Nexus S.

Reaction Score
This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me ... you have a link? Apple is one of the very few that use Gorilla Glass (I believe the new Droid RAZR uses it, but the Galaxy Nexus won't) ... it's as tough a glass as there is. Sure, you can't really drop it from large heights ... but my 4S screen is noticeably more sturdy than my Nexus S.

I have no link. I am on the inside in this industry. The new Apple products no longer use Gorilla glass. I don't know about the Galaxy Nexus but you could be right. The other Galaxy tablets have it. There are links showing drop tests of the iphone 4s and one of the newer droids and the 4s has major drop survivability issues. Here is a link of known products that have Gorilla glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla/full-products-list

You won't find any Apple products listed because they gag their vendors but that doesn't mean the early products didn't use it.
There is a fascinating story about Steve Jobs, Apple, Corning's CEO and Gorilla glass and how it all started. And, no, there is not a link to this. Apple is making a HUGE mistake by turning on the company that saved their a$$e$.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
A friend of mine travels to Singapore frequently for his job, he recently told me that if I wanted an ipad, he could get me one for half price. This is what he went on to describe, the Apple ipad is made in China, the plant has 4 assembly lines that can churn out ipads depending on demand. At the plant, they usually are running 2 lines, and from time to time, they run a third line which makes ipads under a different manufacturing Chinese name that Apple is either unaware of or turns a blind eye on. The tech manuals are identicle and the software is hacked to dissplay the psuedo Chinese manufacturing name. He also stated that obviously there's no warranty or tech support.

well, is there a way to order one? What is the brand name? Or, do you have to fly to China to get one? That might make it a little difficult.

Reaction Score
I still haven't tried angry birds because so many of my friends are hooked on it…but I'm getting close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom