International Break | The Boneyard

International Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very active period for the US Teams with three teams in action.

USMNT 25 MAR Denmark ESPN 2, 31 MAR Switzerland FS1

U-23 27 MAR Bosnia and 31 MAR Denmark

U-20 29 MAR England

U-23 team apparently is hurting because so few players in this pool are actually playing matches. This article also has a good breakdown of the U-23 and U-20 pools. Also since many of the players play in MLS and teams aren't obligated to give up youth call ups it's not a given that those players will be released.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/62903/klinsmann-rings-u-23-alarm-bell.html

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Interesting on Yedlin. Wonder what he was told went he went to Tottenham or what he expected in terms of playing time. Not even making the team sheet is concerning. Is he playing for their younger squad?

Reaction Score
Interesting on Yedlin. Wonder what he was told went he went to Tottenham or what he expected in terms of playing time. Not even making the team sheet is concerning. Is he playing for their younger squad?

I think he's played in one U-21 match. Tottenham is pretty deep at Right Back. But they did sell one to Swansea in January. Even still, I wonder why they bought him. Also, it's not like anyone expected Yedlin to put Kyle Walker on the bench.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I think he's played in one U-21 match. Tottenham is pretty deep at Right Back. But they did sell one to Swansea in January. Even still, I wonder why they bought him. Also, it's not like anyone expected Yedlin to put Kyle Walker on the bench.
Yeah Swansea got Naughton from Spurs in the January window. Tottenham also got Ben Davies from Swansea over the summer and hasn't seen tons of time either. Forgot if he played RB or LB for Swansea but he was solid for them. Was bummed they sold him or traded him for Siggy or whatever the end result was.

It was interesting too in that link in the OP on the number of players on Non MLS rosters that haven't seen a lick of PT. I get the draw of going to Europe to play but how does that better the players if they don't even get to see the field, let alone the team sheet?

Reaction Score
From Friendlies to European Championship Qualifiers, some decent matches coming up over the next 8 days.
For friendlies, as Zoo mentioned above, the US travels to Denmark this Wendesday, and Switzerland next Tuesday. Outside of the US it's:
Germany v Australia - Wednesday
France v Brazil - Thursday
Costa Rica v. Paraguay - Thursday
Mexico v Ecuador - Sunday
Brazil v Chile - Sunday
France v Denmark - Sunday
Italy v England - next Tuesday
Netherlands v Spain - next Tuesday
Argentina v Ecuador - next Tuesday
Mexico v Paraguay - next Tuesday

Some of the more interesting European Championship Qualifiers are:
Spain v Ukraine - Friday
Croatia v. Norway - Saturday
Israel v Wales - Saturday
Nehterlands v Turkey - Saturday
Ireland v Poland - Sunday
Portugal v Serbia - Monday
Israel v Belgium - Tuesday

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
USA Roster for the Friendlies

Keeper
Cody Cropper - Southampton
Nick Rimaldo - Real Salt Lake
William Yarbrough - Club Leon (1st call in)

Defense
Ventura Alvarado - Club America (1st call in)
John Brooks - Hertha Berlin
Timmy Chandler - Eintracht Frankfurt
Greg Garza - Club Tijuana
Michael Orazco - Puebla
Tim Ream - Bolton Wanderers
Brek Shea - Orlando City
DeAndre Yedlin - Tottenham

Midfield
Alejandro Bedoya - Nantes
Michael Bradley - Toronto FC
Julian Green - Hamburg
Miguel Ibarra - Minnesota United FC
Fabian Johnson - Borussia Monchengladbach
Alfredo Morales - Ingolstadt
Danny Williams - Reading
Gyasi Zardes - LA Galaxy

Forwards
Jozy Altidore - Toronto FC
Clint Dempsey - Seattle Sounders
Aron Johannsson - AZ Alkmaar
Rubio Rubin - Utrecht

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Brek Shea on Defense? Did I miss his position change? Always thought he was a winger in the Midfield.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, Jurgen and Orlando moved him to Left Back. Results have been mixed.
It's just odd considering the promise he showed offensively before he made the move to Stoke and disappeared.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UCFBfan said:
It's just odd considering the promise he showed offensively before he made the move to Stoke and disappeared.

Shea has always been pretty one dimensional going forward. I suspect this move is to use that instinct as an advantage at LB vs. a liability at LM.

If his first priority is defending then he will focus on that and naturally take the opportunities to go forward rather than go forward and ignore his defensive responsibilities.

I think this is a consistent with JK's overall philosophy that anyone can defend given enough effort, but few can create or be effective offensively. He is trying to put the best attacking side on the field and teaching them to defend.

It's why guys who don't move the ball get left off. If you wanted change from the old US pack it in and counter style, this is what it's going to look like because we will have fewer world class players going forward to the next cycle.

Reaction Score
Shea has always been pretty one dimensional going forward. I suspect this move is to use that instinct as an advantage at LB vs. a liability at LM.

If his first priority is defending then he will focus on that and naturally take the opportunities to go forward rather than go forward and ignore his defensive responsibilities.

I think this is a consistent with JK's overall philosophy that anyone can defend given enough effort, but few can create or be effective offensively. He is trying to put the best attacking side on the field and teaching them to defend.

It's why guys who don't move the ball get left off. If you wanted change from the old US pack it in and counter style, this is what it's going to look like because we will have fewer world class players going forward to the next cycle.

My guess is that we will have zero world class players this cycle. For me, the main thing to remember is that in 3 years the best 23 is not going to look much like it does now. With guys like Hyndman, Zelalem, Flores, Tommy Thompson and others coming up many old stand bys will be pushed out.

Yup. Look at what he did with Beasley when we looked like we didn't have any good options at left back. He had a good World Cup despite the fact that he is 47 years old:)

The US sent Shea and a few other US players over to Spain 3-4 years ago, maybe longer or so the story goes. The Spanish coaches really liked Shea, but they said he was playing the wrong position and that he should be a left back. Also, I think Jurgen wants attack minded fullbacks and with that killer leg of his he can put the ball in dangerous spots.

It will be interesting to see how Shea competes with Greg Garza, who looked really good at left back in the fall.

Cameron didnt get called in because there wasn't room to experiment with guys like Alvarado.

Guzan's wife is about to have a baby.

Miguel Ibarra is kind of a surprise. Jurgen loves that guy, I thought he looked just OK against Panama, but the veterans on the team really respect ability.

MLS guys that were omitted-Jurgen said he wouldn't call up that many because they jsut started the season and they weren't in a rhythm yet. But......

Besler has been playing like crap, and he was involved in an argument through the media with Jurgen over fitness. Brooks has probably got that left center back slot nailed down anyways as he has appeared to have won the starting position at Hertha.

Zusi is not 100% yet because of a stress fracture but he has played most of three games, he almost looks like his old self.

Mix is playing really well. Was surprised to not see him called in.

Jones is injured.

Really good opportunity for Tim Ream and Danny Williams. Tim is the man on defense for Bolton, Danny is a big part of things and a regular starter for Reading. I think it sends a good message when they get called up.

Yarbrough and Alavarado are duals. Both are considered on the fringe of being called up by Mexico. Mexico has the Gold Cup and the Copa America this summer, so they will be calling up 40 something players this summer.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Klinsmann was also trying out a 5-3-2, having Shea and Yedlin as the wingbacks. Didn't seem to work that well either.

Reaction Score
Klinsmann was also trying out a 5-3-2, having Shea and Yedlin as the wingbacks. Didn't seem to work that well either.

He only did that because he couldn't get enough true fullbacks in camp. It was makeshift.

Reaction Score
Lineup

Chandler Brooks Orozco Garza
Zardes Bedoya Bradley Johnson
Altidore AJ

Rimando in goal

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He only did that because he couldn't get enough true fullbacks in camp. It was makeshift.
Not what I had heard/read. But either way, I'm glad we're not doing that.

Reaction Score
We're getting totally owned in the possession dept. These guys don't look connected, which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Defense has been terrible. Three defenders beat on that goal, but Zardes left the Arsenal guy totally unmarked.

Chandler delivered a nice ball on the assist but he hasn't looked good. He plays great in the Bundesliga but continues to suck in a US jersey.

Reaction Score
Bradley to Altidore and Altidore delivers a pefectly weighted touch to AJ.

In truth it's amazing that we aren't losing by two goals.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to put out a BOLO for the US's back line as it been missing for the better part of a year and did not even show-up today against a decent; but, not rock star Danish team.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to put out a BOLO for the US's back line as it been missing for the better part of a year and did not even show-up today against a decent; but, not rock star Danish team.

Not rock star, but we don't have one single player even close to Eriksen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not sure any of that back four is worthy of a spot in 2018. Certainly not right now. Chandler looks so slow. Having Zardes playing above him is a disaster. Garza also looks overmatch quite often.

I've never seen so many giveaways inside 30 yds in front of your own goal in one game.

I can see Jozy and AJ up top, especially if Dempsey ages too quickly. All in all a very poor effort by everyone. The only bright spot was converting the few chances they did create. That game had 5-1 written all over it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We didn't look all that good last night. But we were playing a pretty good Danish team. Have to remember these teams are right in the middle of Euro 2016 qualifying. So you're gonna get a pretty good team.

We on the other hand are still experimenting quite a bit. Also it was in Denmark on a poor pitch in a cold windy rain. I don't think we were ever gonna look good in these conditions. And we didn't. Only really good things were, we scored when we had the chance and we didn't allow them to score as many as they probably should have.

Garza looked out of his depth quite a bit. Lots of attacks down that side. He probably looked the worst of anyone out there for me.
Johnson, Bedoya did pretty much nothing their entire time on the pitch. Other than Johannsson's goal, same thing for him.
Zardes worked hard, but seemed to be out of position quite a bit. At least he got himself involved.
Bradley and Altidore played fairly well. Didn't have a lot of help though.
Brooks, Orozco and Chandler, hmm not good, but not terrible. They did clear the lines and make a few good plays, but also had some real bonehead moments. I think part of the problem is 1) they haven't played together much (I mean most of these guys played over the weekend, probably only had 1-2 practices before this game.) hopefully will look a little better next Tuesday. 2) none of them is really a defensive leader. They really don't have anyone (like a Bocenegra) marshaling the troops back there. Not sure who that would be though.
Rimando, I thought, didn't have a very good game. Terrible in the air. Had to punch everything back into play instead of grabbing the ball and giving the defense a break. Bobbled some shots (granted the weather/wind/pitch didn't help). Didn't have any control over his defense.

Subs
Morales, still don't really get why he's on the team.
Shea, had a couple good crosses. Got himself involved a lot more than Johnson did.
Yedlin was pretty invisible too. As was Rubin.

As for Bendtner, the EX-Arsenal player once again proved he is The Greatest Striker That Ever Lived (TGSTEL). If you don't believe me, just ask him, he'll tell you. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom