Interesting tidbit re: ACC exit fee... | The Boneyard

Interesting tidbit re: ACC exit fee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can also take from that VT doesn't want to go anywhere if they're willing to up it to 34 mil.

Reaction Score
I should add, the thread cited said the previous exit fee was $16 million, so the increase to $20 million really isn't that significant.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 14th slot in the SEC is open again. The revenue gap between the ACC and SEC would cover the $20 million in less than 2 years. FSU is on the clock.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
If FSU goes would that open up an opportunity for USF to the ACC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If FSU goes would that open up an opportunity for USF to the ACC?

I doubt it. It would tend to strengthen Miami, so no.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I doubt it. It would tend to strengthen Miami, so no.
It would almost definitely put another Big East school in play for the ACC though.

Reaction Score
Don't discount the multiple reports that there was a voting block in the SEC of (I think it was) UF, SC, GA, and TN who were all committed to keeping FSU out. Why? I have no idea other than UF not wanting in state competition.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Isn't there supposedly a "gentleman's agreement" between UF, UGA, and SC to support each other in blocking in-state competition from joining the SEC? (i.e. FSU/GTech/Clemson)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't discount the multiple reports that there was a voting block in the SEC of (I think it was) UF, SC, GA, and TN who were all committed to keeping FSU out. Why? I have no idea other than UF not wanting in state competition.

I think it was UF. I would think that cash would drive any decisions, and removing your biggest competitor from by far your biggest market is a good move. I don't think anyone has really put UF to the test on this issue.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think it was UF. I would think that cash would drive any decisions, and removing your biggest competitor from by far your biggest market is a good move. I don't think anyone has really put UF to the test on this issue.

Also, UF likes to think of themselves as the dogs balls of Florida football schools. I don't think they want to allow FSU to be operating on an even playing field.

I think the SEC doesn't even need voting blocks. Don't they have veto rights for concerning adding schools from their own states? Something like that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm somewhat confused. I thought that FSU was the top dog in Fl. about a decade or so ago. Bobby Bowden lost his touch similar to JoPa towards the end of his career, but if I'm correct UF has not been superior to FSU over the last several decades. That title would belong to FSU. This superiority of UF has been a more recent event I believe. And over the last five or so years FSU has had many top recruiting classes. So they on a resurgence again.

And these two schools play each other every year. That can impact the title hopes of either school anyways so what difference does it make if they are in the same conference. The only reason for UF to keep FSU out of the SEC is that it keeps FSU in a smaller revenue sharing arrangement as nelson points out. But that can be overcome by marketing the FSU brand if they become dominant again. Or they can do an end run and become independent.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The 2000s have gone to UF thus far. The 90s were FSU's.

Reaction Score
The 14th slot in the SEC is open again. The revenue gap between the ACC and SEC would cover the $20 million in less than 2 years. FSU is on the clock.

Our new TV contract kicks in this year and gives each school an additional $6+ million per school. Also, per a Wake trustee that I saw speak on Tuesday, we can renegotiate our TV contract and believe we can get at least an additional $3 to $4 million per school.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure UF was a strong program in the 90s under Steve Spurrier. And even when Emmit Smith was there.

Reaction Score
It's cyclical (sp?) in FL. It was Miami, then FSU, then Florida. At times, all 3 have been very good, other times jut 2. Recently it has been Florida, but it appears momentum is swinging back to FSU.

A team on the rise, and one that I could see over taking Miami as the 5th best Florida school if they ever got into a real league, is FIU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom