Interesting Quote from Christen on Temple game | The Boneyard

Interesting Quote from Christen on Temple game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's a little late to discuss this, but I was reading through the Pitt game notes on uconnhuskies.com earlier today and read this quote from Christen about the Temple game:

On improving after the Temple game:
"I absolutely lost confidence after the Temple game and the misses. I just didn't feel myself heading into the game. The overtime miss was all mental. I was able to learn from that and really bounce back."

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110512aaa.html

I was thinking while at the game that there's no way PP should send him out for the FG in OT because his confidence would be shot. A chip shot FG like that, does it make sense to use Wagner in that situation where at least there's a chance he makes it? Should Christen have told PP that there's no chance I can make a FG if you send me out there?

Reaction Score
There's no way PP could have made that decision in the span of a timeout.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I was thinking while at the game that there's no way PP should send him out for the FG in OT because his confidence would be shot. A chip shot FG like that, does it make sense to use Wagner in that situation where at least there's a chance he makes it? Should Christen have told PP that there's no chance I can make a FG if you send me out there?
No athlete will ever admit to being completely rattled heading into a play. However, everyone in the stadium knew he was going to miss that kick. If they weren't redshirting their Freshman kicker I would bet he would have gotten a shot. Instead they rolled the dice that their starter would be able to make a routine kick. Yanking him also would have probably shot his confidence a bit more so you could argue both ways. Losing that game basically ruined any hope at a bowl game though so in hindsight it's easier to say they should have sent someone else out.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Was it 4th and short on the OT kick? If it was I think I would have just gone for it to be honest. Can't remember. I just remember being filled with rage at the fact that OT was even happening.

Reaction Score
Was it 4th and short on the OT kick? If it was I think I would have just gone for it to be honest. Can't remember. I just remember being filled with rage at the fact that OT was even happening.

It was 4th and 7. Kicking the FG and Christen kicking it was the right call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who was supposed to kick in his place? Take the redshirt of Puyol for one kick?

Even if he made the kick it's not like the game was won.

Reaction Score
No athlete will ever admit to being completely rattled heading into a play. However, everyone in the stadium knew he was going to miss that kick. If they weren't redshirting their Freshman kicker I would bet he would have gotten a shot. Instead they rolled the dice that their starter would be able to make a routine kick. Yanking him also would have probably shot his confidence a bit more so you could argue both ways. Losing that game basically ruined any hope at a bowl game though so in hindsight it's easier to say they should have sent someone else out.
No way. That would demoralize everyone. You just send him out again and hope he has his head on straight this time.

mets1090

Reaction Score
It was 4th and 7. Kicking the FG and Christen kicking it was the right call.
Thanks - I didn't remember thinking they should go for it so that makes sense.

Who was supposed to kick in his place? Take the redshirt of Puyol for one kick?

Even if he made the kick it's not like the game was won.
Agreed 100% obviously.

No way. That would demoralize everyone. You just send him out again and hope he has his head on straight this time.
Also agree with this. Just saying that if we had a backup that was capable that would have been the time to pull the starter and give the backup his shot. If nothing else you make it open competition after the Temple game. Since we don't really have anyone available there's not much you can do. No way you send in a true Freshman. It's a horrible position. Just have to hope for the best. The best did not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom