Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Diaco's resume (and interview, no doubt) made him a very appealling candidate. I suspect that most of us would have made decision to hire him. Whether or not he is a good HC is still up for debate.

Hiring someone with head coaching esperience doesn't guarantee success.
1380549664000-USATSI-7404515.jpg

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
This is funny. So because a guy that some of you don't like is our coach, we have no commitment to football? Is it not possible that we have committed but, in retrospect, you just don't like the choice? Because this guy only makes 1.5M we have no commitment to football? He may not have panned out how you all had hoped, but for God's sake, who did you think we were going to hire? We got the Broyles Award winner, a northeast guy with a great résumé...
The other finalist by most accounts was the Ball State head coach.

Most of the time, when big boy programs hire new head coaches, they get coordinators from other high majors or head coaches from smaller schools. That's the pool we drew from. Where's the lack of commitment? And why would we overpay Diaco when he was willing to take the job for $1.5M?

Reaction Score
Ju

Malloy has nothing to do with setting the UConn AD budget. That is completely a university based decision, i.e. BOTs, President, Athletic Director, Accounting.
Please refer to other thread regarding the definition of a joke. We need a big name. Not Diaco. Big name big conference. That's it. Otherwise we continue to blame BYU's honor code if we don't get into the Big 12. Talk about a lack of accountability.

Reaction Score
This is funny. So because a guy that some of you don't like is our coach, we have no commitment to football? Is it not possible that we have committed but, in retrospect, you just don't like the choice? Because this guy only makes 1.5M we have no commitment to football? He may not have panned out how you all had hoped, but for God's sake, who did you think we were going to hire? We got the Broyles Award winner, a northeast guy with a great résumé...
The other finalist by most accounts was the Ball State head coach.

Most of the time, when big boy programs hire new head coaches, they get coordinators from other high majors or head coaches from smaller schools. That's the pool we drew from. Where's the lack of commitment? And why would we overpay Diaco when he was willing to take the job for $1.5M?

Interesting list that shows what schools are spending on football coaches. Look at KU, LOL.
USA TODAY Sports

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cincy and Houston have made p-5 commitments to thier coaches with a much lower AD budget than UConn. It's just a matter of the AD's priorities. I still remember when Cincy took Tupperware from Tech. Everyone was shocked but in the end it was probably better for everyone involved.

Choosing to play FCS football for so many years is the issue with UConn Football, not a conspiracy from CR gods. Fortunately this can be overcome by putting a solid product on the field a commitment to football by the AD as well as getting good fan support/tv ratings.

I'm not sure Diaco's contract is not a P5 commitment. He's making close to $2M/yr. Compare that to others, especially within the P5, it's on a comp level. UConn AD separates itself when you look at full scope athletics - paying MBB $3M/yr and WBB $2M/yr. I know what you're going to say - you shouldn't pay WBB on par with Football. In a CR landscape, I agree. However, making these types of decisions is much easier to say than do, however. UConn WBB season ticket holders deserve the top product that they've grown accustomed to. And you can't just tell a HOF coach that we're cutting his pay in half to pay our football coach who hasn't had nearly the success on the field as Geno.

TV ratings are not an issue. UConn FB ratings on same platforms (i.e. ESPN/ESPN2 telecasts) are equal to or better than all candidates except BYU. So TV ratings are certainly not a negative.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Please refer to other thread regarding the definition of a joke. We need a big name. Not Diaco. Big name big conference. That's it. Otherwise we continue to blame BYU's honor code if we don't get into the Big 12. Talk about a lack of accountability.

Please give me your list of coaches that UConn should hire and how we are going to pay him. Are you cutting Geno's contract?

Reaction Score
Please give me your list of coaches that UConn should hire and how we are going to pay him. Are you cutting Geno's contract?

Dooley - why bother, dealing w/ an amatuer here. Doc has all the answers (let Malloy find the money from somewhere else to pay football coach). Let him whistle in the wind.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley - why bother, dealing w/ an amatuer here. Doc has all the answers (let Malloy cut money from somewhere else to pay football coach). Let him whistle in the wind.

I'm just upset that he's lecturing me about jokes when he is so unfamiliar with the longest running joke here - CR Rule 1.

Reaction Score
You're right. I should start acting like all of the dedicated UConn fans here and continue to blame BC, Syracuse, BYU, Pitt, Louisville, et al. It's sad. Until we hand P5s a product they can't refuse, we have no one else to blame. The complacency here is puzzling to say the least; moreover, its combination with victimization is troubling.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
You're right. I should start acting like all of the dedicated UConn fans here and continue to blame BC, Syracuse, BYU, Pitt, Louisville, et al. It's sad. Until we hand P5s a product they can't refuse, we have no one else to blame. The complacency here is puzzling to say the least; moreover, its combination with victimization is troubling.
Stop posting here then. All you're doing is spamming the board and no one cares.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Dooley - why bother, dealing w/ an amatuer here. Doc has all the answers (let Malloy find the money from somewhere else to pay football coach). Let him whistle in the wind.

Sounds like IgnoreBot is doing a great job. He's well fed.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Diaco's contract is right in line with P5 and other G5 candidates. Commitment is absolutely there - strike that from the list of negatives.

I interpret that list a little differently. Cincinnati has made a commitment to pay p-5 money for a football coach at over 2 million. Houston has a 5 million $ bonus if Herman gets them in a p-5. Houston AD: Herman gets $5M if we go Power 5

Looking at the list it would seem that for the most part somewhere in the 2-2.5 million $ range is the minimum commitment as far as coaches salaries for p-5 football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Diaco's contract is not a P5 commitment. He's making close to $2M/yr. Compare that to others, especially within the P5, it's on a comp level. UConn AD separates itself when you look at full scope athletics - paying MBB $3M/yr and WBB $2M/yr. I know what you're going to say - you shouldn't pay WBB on par with Football. In a CR landscape, I agree. However, making these types of decisions is much easier to say than do, however. UConn WBB season ticket holders deserve the top product that they've grown accustomed to. And you can't just tell a HOF coach that we're cutting his pay in half to pay our football coach who hasn't had nearly the success on the field as Geno.

TV ratings are not an issue. UConn FB ratings on same platforms (i.e. ESPN/ESPN2 telecasts) are equal to or better than all candidates except BYU. So TV ratings are certainly not a negative.

I know that Houston has put up some really big TV numbers already this season with the OU game and now the Cinci game getting good ratings. I don't think UConn has been on national TV yet. I know I had to watch the Virginia game by streaming through watch ESPN.

0.4 728K — BYU
Arizona Ind.
Pac-12 10:39 PM FS1

1.0 1.693M — BYU
Utah Ind.
Pac-12 7:36 PM FOX

3.5 5.713M 131K Oklahoma
Houston Big 12
American 12:01 PM AB

— 2.159M — Houston
Cincinnati American 7:25 PM ESPN

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Interesting list that shows what schools are spending on football coaches. Look at KU, LOL.
USA TODAY Sports

So we should pay Diaco $2.5M just because. He was our AD's top choice in 2013 and has been happy to sign twice for $1.5M but your argument is let's just pay him more, just because. To take a page from Nelson's book, "Got it."

Dooley

Reaction Score
I interpret that list a little differently. Cincinnati has made a commitment to pay p-5 money for a football coach at over 2 million. Houston has a 5 million $ bonus if Herman gets them in a p-5.

Looking at the list it would seem that for the most part somewhere in the 2-2.5 million $ range is the minimum commitment as far as coaches salaries for p-5 football.

Do you honestly think that Houston is the only school that would raise its coaching staff if they're in a P5?? All that is is a nice little fluff story so folks can beat on Houston's drum a little louder. Here's another fluff story - Herman can make $5M/yr jumping to Texas after the season is over too.

Diaco's contract is absolutely in line with P5 and all G5 candidates. Diaco just got an extension/raise. The pay is absolutely in-line. People say UConn isn't committed to football because Diaco's coaching style is bland and boring. I get it. Watching UConn football on TV is difficult for the most ardent fans like me too. But financial commitment is absolutely not an issue. In addition to coach pay scale, UConn's already invested hundreds of millions into stadium and state-of-art campus facilities too and just announced bonding to expand our facilities even more.

Where UConn separates itself greatly from all other G5 candidates is that in addition to paying good money to football coach, we pay MBB $3M/yr and WBB $2M/yr. And yes, I know WBB has no bearing on CR. The point is there isn't a more complete AD in the G5 than UConn. No question about that.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I know that Houston has put up some really big TV numbers already this season with the OU game and now the Cinci game getting good ratings. I don't think UConn has been on national TV yet. I know I had to watch the Virginia game by streaming through watch ESPN.

0.4 728K — BYU
Arizona Ind.
Pac-12 10:39 PM FS1

1.0 1.693M — BYU
Utah Ind.
Pac-12 7:36 PM FOX

3.5 5.713M 131K Oklahoma
Houston Big 12
American 12:01 PM AB

— 2.159M — Houston
Cincinnati American 7:25 PM ESPN

No, UConn hasn't been on national TV yet. First national game is at Houston next Thursday night. You will have to compare ratings from 2015. We had 3 national TV games: at Missouri (Noon local kickoff), at BYU (10PM local kickoff), and St Pete Bowl (11am local kickoff). All of them comped well to the G5 candidate pool, except BYU.

Reaction Score
So we should pay Diaco $2.5M just because. He was our AD's top choice in 2013 and has been happy to sign twice for $1.5M but your argument is let's just pay him more, just because. To take a page from Nelson's book, "Got it."

LOL. You are so dramatic.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly think that Houston is the only school that would raise its coaching staff if they're in a P5?? All that is is a nice little fluff story so folks can beat on Houston's drum a little louder. Here's another fluff story - Herman can make $5M/yr jumping to Texas after the season is over too.

Diaco's contract is absolutely in line with P5 and all G5 candidates. Diaco just got an extension/raise. The pay is absolutely in-line. People say UConn isn't committed to football because Diaco's coaching style is bland and boring. I get it. Watching UConn football on TV is difficult for the most ardent fans like me too. But financial commitment is absolutely not an issue. In addition to coach pay scale, UConn's already invested hundreds of millions into stadium and state-of-art campus facilities too and just announced bonding to expand our facilities even more.

Where UConn separates itself greatly from all other G5 candidates is that in addition to paying good money to football coach, we pay MBB $3M/yr and WBB $2M/yr. And yes, I know WBB has no bearing on CR. The point is there isn't a more complete AD in the G5 than UConn. No question about that.

It's the only one i've seen confirmed. So what does Diaco get if UConn gets in the p-5?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
LOL. You are so dramatic.

I'm sorry, but what about what I said is dramatic? We offered 1.5. He accepted. You say we don't pay enough, but a guy who was hired from the same pool of candidates major football programs draw from thinks differently. Who makes you the authority on what "enough" is? This is a business, not a charity. We don't pay people more just because.

Reaction Score
If we're looking to be "in line" with the G5 candidates, then we're doing a good job of that. If we're looking to surpass the G5 candidates, then we have some work to do.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's the only one i've seen confirmed. So what does Diaco get if UConn gets in the p-5?

I don't know the exact terms of the contract. You'll need to reach out to the athletic department for that info.

UConn just gave Diaco a raise/extension coming off of a 6-7 season. Of course they would raise him for continued improved results, namely a P5 invite, just like our other high profile coaches.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but what about what I said is dramatic? We offered 1.5. He accepted. You say we don't pay enough, but a guy who was hired from the same pool of candidates major football programs draw from thinks differently. Who makes you the authority on what "enough" is? This is a business, not a charity. We don't pay people more just because.
LOL.

I never said UConn should pay Diaco more.
I never said UConn doesn't' pay enough.

I posted a link to a list of coaches salaries. nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom