Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16 | The Boneyard

Interesting article, Deseret News 9/19/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I don't know how to link on an iPad. Maybe someone can locate this article and post:

Deseret News
9/19/16
Jay Yeomans

Edit: deleted my summary out of a concern of copyright laws.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
He's just quoting Pete Thamel's saying UH and Cincy are leading. Nothing new.

Sorry. I thought I found something interesting.

It sounds like it's come down to Houston, Cincinnati, UConn, and BYU. No one else has a chance. If they go to four, we're in. If it's just two, we're out. I guess most of were already thinking along those lines.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I really think there's something to the "not taking BYU until the Honor Code issue has been sorted out" position. The NCAA just pulled tourney games from NC. Yes, it's not apples to apples, but the sentiment that human rights matter (and, of course, they do) is a big deal. As the pendulum swings to pulling events from places seen as anti-human rights, no one wants to be the entity that promotes a perceived (right or wrong) bigoted institution.

Clearly the final four is set, but I do fear that BYU's Honor Code is a poison pill not just for their school, but for ours too.

Reaction Score
I really think there's something to the "not taking BYU until the Honor Code issue has been sorted out" position. The NCAA just pulled tourney games from NC. Yes, it's not apples to apples, but the sentiment that human rights matter (and, of course, they do) is a big deal. As the pendulum swings to pulling events from places seen as anti-human rights, no one wants to be the entity that promotes a perceived (right or wrong) bigoted institution.

Clearly the final four is set, but I do fear that BYU's Honor Code is a poison pill not just for their school, but for ours too.

BYU's Honor Code applies to UConn? Who knew! Darn powerful group those Mormans.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
BYU's Honor Code applies to UConn? Who knew! Darn powerful group those Mormans.

It doesn't "apply" to us, obviously, but it's our poison pill if because of their Honor Code the Big XII decides only to add two schools, not four.

Reaction Score

Agree. This might even become a bigger deal for BYU going forward (even if they aren't invited to the Big 12) in terms of scheduling and what not. The school is likely going to have to make a change (however PC) to the honor code given the fact that it is 2016.

Reaction Score
BYU might have a bigger issue than the Big 12. How long before other schools simply avoid playing them? Look at all the criticism Marist basketball received from alumni for playing at Duke this year. Whether right or wrong or fair or not, Colleges will avoid creating controversy.

Reaction Score
Marist alums object to their team playing duke because that top tier bball private school is located in a state where they won't allow men to legally walk in a women's bathroom? No wonder the acceptance rate at the school is so high.

Reaction Score
UConn has been very progressive when it comes to the LGBT community, at least as far back as I can remember. Just our luck that some institution like BYU could put the kibosh on our invitation.

Reaction Score
The most interesting thing about the article, IMO, was the line about how Boren had "long been considered a huge backer of BYU" because to me it's just more conjecture that seems to run somewhat contrary to other conjecture we've heard before.

Reaction Score
That's not the article I saw, but it makes the point that TV is important. That could be good for UConn and BYU, possibly making it a little more likely they'll take all four of us (Houston, UC, UConn, BYU).

I assume they had to take notice of the ratings Thursday night. 2.159M watched Cincy/Houston with a 9.2 rating in Cincinnati and a 6.7 rating in Houston. Only one Thursday night game was higher rated all of last season and it was an SEC conference game. That includes a Louisville/Clemson game on first CFB Thursday night game last year (1.9M.)

Reaction Score
I assume they had to take notice of the ratings Thursday night. 2.159M watched Cincy/Houston with a 9.2 rating in Cincinnati and a 6.7 rating in Houston. Only one Thursday night game was higher rated all of last season and it was an SEC conference game. That includes a Louisville/Clemson game on first CFB Thursday night game last year (1.9M.)

ACC gets >20M a year and AAC gets ~2M a year for higher ratings for the AAC. What a steal of a contract for ESPN.

Reaction Score

If realignment decisions were made by TV producers, AD's and football coaches, BYU's honor could would not even be a blip on the radar. But, they are not. University Presidents make these decisions and they do care about image, human rights, legal risk, etc.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Always remember Conference Realignment Rule #1: if it looks like UConn will get into a Power 5 conference, introduce a new metric to explain why they won't.

You have to hand it to the CR gods. UConn's P5 data is good...too good, perhaps. So the CR gods are employing a new strategy this time around: make another school's Honor Code the reason why we are left in purgatory, even if our own "Honor Code" completely disagrees with it 100%. Pure genius stuff by those sadistic CR gods.

Reaction Score
Always remember Conference Realignment Rule #1: if it looks like UConn will get into a Power 5 conference, introduce a new metric to explain why they won't.

You have to hand it to the CR gods. UConn's P5 data is good...too good, perhaps. So the CR gods are employing a new strategy this time around: make another school's Honor Code the reason why we are left in purgatory, even if our own "Honor Code" completely disagrees with it 100%. Pure genius stuff by those sadistic CR gods.
If we are left out it will be because of our own football program. It's easier to point fingers at others, but we only have ourselves to blame. We have had years to make substantial improvements (i.e. hire a big name coach - would've been worth the money in the long run) and we have not done so.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
If realignment decisions were made by TV producers, AD's and football coaches, BYU's honor could would not even be a blip on the radar. But, they are not. University Presidents make these decisions and they do care about image, human rights, legal risk, etc.

Absolutely. They're running entire institutions, not just departments. Managing public sentiment comes with the pay grade.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If we are left out it will be because of our own football program. It's easier to point fingers at others, but we only have ourselves to blame. We have had years to make substantial improvements (i.e. hire a big name coach - would've been worth the money in the long run) and we have not done so.

Just a question - how are we going to pay for a big name football coach? No big name is going to come coach in the American without getting a serious pay bump. That likely means paying someone in the $3-$5M yr range. What are you cutting from our current AD budget? Geno's contract? Ollie? Cutting a sport entirely? To pay for a big name, you have to have the money to do it.

If you want to trace our steps back to the moment where our G5 fate was sealed, I present to you Exhibit A: Paul Pasqualoni Takes Over UConn Football Program

Reaction Score
Just a question - how are we going to pay for a big name football coach? No big name is going to come coach in the American without getting a serious pay bump. That likely means paying someone in the $3-$5M yr range. What are you cutting from our current AD budget? Geno's contract? Ollie? Cutting a sport entirely? To pay for a big name, you have to have the money to do it.

If you want to trace our steps back to the moment where our G5 fate was sealed, I present to you Exhibit A: Paul Pasqualoni Takes Over UConn Football Program
Very true. But that moron Dannel Malloy finds tons of ways to spend money we don't have - I'm sure he can come with a few million. It's now or never (or was a few years ago) and we dropped the ball with Diaco.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Very true. But that moron Dannel Malloy finds tons of ways to spend money we don't have - I'm sure he can come with a few million. It's now or never (or was a few years ago) and we dropped the ball with Diaco.

Malloy has nothing to do with setting the UConn AD budget. That is completely a university based decision, i.e. BOTs, President, Athletic Director, Accounting.

I'm no fan of the conservative style coaching either but let's be fair - Bob Diaco has turned around the program. Are we doing it in a way that is most pleasing to TV? Absolutely not. But we are competitive again and winning football games, not to mention we got to a bowl game for the first time since the Fiesta last year. Again, not pleasing to the eye and slinging the rock all over the field but winning and playing competitive football again.

Reaction Score

Cincy and Houston have made p-5 commitments to thier coaches with a much lower AD budget than UConn. It's just a matter of the AD's priorities. I still remember when Cincy took Tupperware from Tech. Everyone was shocked but in the end it was probably better for everyone involved.

Choosing to play FCS football for so many years is the issue with UConn Football, not a conspiracy from CR gods. Fortunately this can be overcome by putting a solid product on the field a commitment to football by the AD as well as getting good fan support/tv ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom