Intel on New Sun Player Jillian Alleyne?? | The Boneyard

Intel on New Sun Player Jillian Alleyne??

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Does any one know this kid's game? Looks like a double-double machine.

How about how her name is pronounced? A-lean? Alley-ene? Alley-en?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Does any one know this kid's game? Looks like a double-double machine.

How about how her name is pronounced? A-lean? Alley-ene? Alley-en?
From the Oregon media guide:

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE
Jillian Alleyne (a – LEAN)
Maite Cazorla (My – TAY)
Oti Gildon (Ahtee)
Katie Gruys (sounds like GRICE)
Jordan Loera (low – ET – uh)
Megan Trinder (MEE – gun)
Jacinta Vandenberg (Juh – SIN – tuh)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
From the Oregon media guide:

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE
Jillian Alleyne (a – LEAN)
Maite Cazorla (My – TAY)
Oti Gildon (Ahtee)
Katie Gruys (sounds like GRICE)
Jordan Loera (low – ET – uh)
Megan Trinder (MEE – gun)
Jacinta Vandenberg (Juh – SIN – tuh)

Thanks Nan. Just what I was looking for. Jillian's pages in the guide represent an impressive resume. If her knee is right, should be a good addition.

Reaction Score
I'd compare her a bit to Elizabeth Williams but perhaps a bit more fluid and smooth in terms of athleticism but not as powerful. Both perhaps an inch or two shorter than others centers.

Her first two years under Westhead's ~100ppg system, she almost broke Courtney Paris's single-season rebounding record as a soph. We thought her numbers would come down to Earth under the new coach....nope! Averaged 15rpg as a junior.

Was actually projected to go #2 behind Stewart in Prospects Nation's mock draft at one time before her ACL. Had a clean bill of health until then, so not a chronic knee issue situation, she'll be back next year.

If you can find a better sleeper out of that 2012 class (she was unranked from the Los Angeles area coming out of HS), I'll be extremely impressed. The only blemish on her resume is that she was cut from the USA Trials a couple summers ago, failing to make both the Pan Ams & WUGs teams, IIRC (younger posts like Mavunga, Coates, McCall, Russell beat her out).

Despite the ACL, was surprised she fell to 20th, as it seemed she had proven herself as a good investment and "worth the wait" (kind of like how Chelsea Gray was still drafted #8 though it was known she would sit out her first year).

Some thought she should've been Pac-12 POY over Reshanda Gray her junior year,but Oregon's record and place in the standings seemed to rule that out. If she comes all the way back from that ACL, I do definitely think she'll be a better and more consistent WNBA player than Gray, who is still ironing out the kinks of her game (foul trouble, adding more versatility and finesse).

She could make Connecticut one of the scarier teams on the glass right away, and although she didn't have the opportunity to expand her offensive game beyond the paint in college, she can put the ball in the basket just fine, and I like her touch/hands and see potential for developing other offensive weapons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger