Inquiring Minds Want to Know | The Boneyard

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Alternative Thread Header: Meanderings of One of The Lunatic Fringe.

So Lou tied the 3 game total of Maya Moore and just missed out on the 2 game total when she sat down with less than 12 minutes to play. I'm sure Geno does not run around with those numbers in his head, but I'm not so sure about Shea. Did somebody whisper in Geno's ear, leading to the exit? Not to preserve any other player's stat line, but to leave Lou hungry/ coachable? Geno capable of that? Yup.

Anyway,

that's all I got this AM.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. I don't think he cares about any of that stuff. IMO, it was purely rest and avoidance of injury. He left Chong in to maintain some semblance of order handling the ball. If he left Samuelson in he knew the others would defer even more. The backups need to learn how to attack on their own.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He is rotating the fourth quarter responsibilities between the starters on a game by game basis. Gabby and Saniya got 4th Q time in this game, in others Lou or Kia has gotten some of that time. Collier has probably gotten the least time because her role is much less as an initiator of offense, while the other four starters can all provide better help organizing the reserves.

Reaction Score
Actually he does care. When Nykesha Sales was injured, he cleared it with the other coach, so she could come out and shoot a layup so she could be UConn's all-time leading scorer. I don't know the team, but she was injured for the year, and it was her senior season.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Actually he does care. When Nykesha Sales was injured, he cleared it with the other coach, so she could come out and shoot a layup so she could be UConn's all-time leading scorer. I don't know the team, but she was injured for the year, and it was her senior season.

It was Villanova, and the other coach was his buddy Harry Peretta.

I would call that an aberration. Sales tore her achilles in the middle of a game and was one point away from the scoring record, it was brutally unfair. But Geno would probably admit to that being one of the biggest mistakes he has made in coaching. It backfired big time and caused Geno a lot of grief and Nykesha much unhappiness. No good deed goes unpunished.

There may be isolated instances where he keeps someone in to get an extra assist, block, etc. - thinking maybe that happened with Kia Stokes - but as a general rule I don`t think he cares.

Reaction Score
Inquiring minds want to know when Dangerfield will be playing again.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
It was Villanova, and the other coach was his buddy Harry Peretta.

I would call that an aberration. Sales tore her achilles in the middle of a game and was one point away from the scoring record, it was brutally unfair. But Geno would probably admit to that being one of the biggest mistakes he has made in coaching. It backfired big time and caused Geno a lot of grief and Nykesha much unhappiness. No good deed goes unpunished.

There may be isolated instances where he keeps someone in to get an extra assist, block, etc. - thinking maybe that happened with Kia Stokes - but as a general rule I don`t think he cares.
I think you're right about all of that—including running a play for Stokes when she was 2 points shy of a triple double—except for the part about Geno regretting the Sales play against Villanova. He felt bad about how Nykesha was treated afterwards, of course, but he's always stuck to his guns that letting her break the record was the right thing to do and that the backlash that followed was unfair. Truth be told, I think the press reaction from back then still irks him today. At one of his postgame pressers just within the past couple weeks (sorry, not sure which game), he mentioned that the leadup to 90 wins probably wasn't getting as much attention as in 2010 because this time around it was just UConn breaking a UConn record. For good measure, he then questioned aloud why the Nykesha Sales play got so much attention back in 1998, since that too was just a UConn record.

But I don't get the sense he'd make a different decision if he had it to do over again. Extended discussion here (starting around the 13:00 mark):

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Gabby, Stokes and Dolson. Who had the other two triple doubles?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Jimbo, post: 2009758, member: 6751". At one of his postgame pressers just within the past couple weeks (sorry, not sure which game), he mentioned that the leadup to 90 wins probably wasn't getting as much attention as in 2010 because this time around it was just UConn breaking a UConn record. For good measure, he then questioned aloud why the Nykesha Sales play got so much attention back in 1998, since that too was just a UConn record.

But I don't get the sense he'd make a different decision if he had it to do over again. Extended discussion here (starting around the 13:00 mark):

[/QUOTE]
Wow, thanks for posting this. I saw both the moment Nykesha got injured and "the layup" but I never saw this interview. Brings back a lot of memories.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Sales' single game scoring record will ever be broken? I don't think Geno will ever allow it. It seems over the years that when anyone is a threat, they get taken out of the game too early.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Inquiring minds want to know when Dangerfield will be playing again.

According to Geno, Crystal will play some minutes (not a lot) in the game Wednesday against Temple.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Sales' single game scoring record will ever be broken? I don't think Geno will ever allow it. It seems over the years that when anyone is a threat, they get taken out of the game too early.
I thought Sveta came very close, if not tying it, didn't she?

Reaction Score
Alternative Thread Header: Meanderings of One of The Lunatic Fringe.

So Lou tied the 3 game total of Maya Moore and just missed out on the 2 game total when she sat down with less than 12 minutes to play. I'm sure Geno does not run around with those numbers in his head, but I'm not so sure about Shea. Did somebody whisper in Geno's ear, leading to the exit? Not to preserve any other player's stat line, but to leave Lou hungry/ coachable? Geno capable of that? Yup.

Anyway,

that's all I got this AM.
I don't know if anyone keeps those superlative stats in their heads or not. I would assume Shea would have an inkling--if that question was asked here--in 30 seconds you'd have 10 people with the stats.
However--CD--was right there with Gabby telling her how far she was from triple double.--nice mothering . Geno was pretty invested in Maya- . KLS has the talent and the time to break many records.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom