Independent (Football Only) | The Boneyard

Independent (Football Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone else think we should go independent in football only if we don't get into the ACC or Big Ten? I think we should schedule variety of teams from across the country. Because if Louisville, West Virginia, and Cincy go to B12 then Big East football is done!!! With Pac 12 not expanding the B12 is stronger than Big East now. I don't see the B12 staying together with 8 teams (AM and Mizzu leaving) without raiding the Big East. I think this might be a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
Maybe they'll let us have a BCS deal like ND as well. Time to come back to reality.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Do you remember going 9-3 in 2003? What awesome bowl game did we go to that year to reward a fantastic season? Oh, that's right, we didn't go to any because we were independent and had no bowl affiliation.

Look at Temple last year. They had a pretty good team overall as much as many don't want to admit it. What bowl game did they go to? None, because their conference had absolutely crappy bowl alliances.

Not that a bowl game is the end all be all but if you want the opportunity to continue to build the program and eventually compete for the highest honors in the sport (which I presume Connecticut wants to do), being an independent is not the way to go about it.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Do you remember going 9-3 in 2003? What awesome bowl game did we go to that year to reward a fantastic season? Oh, that's right, we didn't go to any because we were independent and had no bowl affiliation.

Look at Temple last year. They had a pretty good team overall as much as many don't want to admit it. What bowl game did they go to? None, because their conference had absolutely crappy bowl alliances.

Not that a bowl game is the end all be all but if you want the opportunity to continue to build the program and eventually compete for the highest honors in the sport (which I presume Connecticut wants to do), being an independent is not the way to go about it.

Plus....good luck putting together a schedule as an independent. BCS teams will not schedule a home-and-home with an non-BCS team. Our schedule would be filled with Buffalo, UMass, Georgia State, Eastern Michigan, etc. It would be the end of our football program...might as well just go FCS and rejoin the old Yankee Conference then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom