Ind. paper: "No reason to think UConn won't beat Notre Dame in next year's NCAA Final Four" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ind. paper: "No reason to think UConn won't beat Notre Dame in next year's NCAA Final Four"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people will be surprised with Shay Colley at USC next year. Also, hopefully Jatarie White's injury and flu problems will be behind her. Kaydra Duckett will get more playing time and Doniyah Cliney will be a redshirt freshman. You can't really say we added nobody.

I should amend that to "nobody 'huge' ". I still think that the tale of SC's potential improvement will mostly run through players who were already important parts of the rotation this year. We shall see, though.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is going to need a lot of help from the freshman to make the final four. Baylor , Tennessee, and Louisville will be stronger. South Carolina, Ohio State, Texas,Duke, and MD will be in the mix as well.

UConn has a chance too
I agree with SC, Tenn, Baylor and MD, don't know much about Ohio State, Lou'ville was overated this year and will be next year, Texas ?. Duke won't be a threat with the current coaching situation.

Reaction Score
I agree with SC, Tenn, Baylor and MD, don't know much about Ohio State, Lou'ville was overated this year and will be next year, Texas ?. Duke won't be a threat with the current coaching situation.

Ohio State has talent, if they mature, and play defense they could be good. Louisville had a weak backcourt this year... they add 3 good guards. Texas has a chance.

Duke has enough talent that JPM may not be able to sabotage the season - or not

Reaction Score
It's fair to ask how distracted Loyd was during the latter portion of this season? Clearly someone, seemingly her brother, got in her ear and convinced her to go pro. That is a lot to think about while also having to perform in high pressure situations.

Reaction Score
Loyd was a nice player, but a volume shooter, she took almost twice as many shots, as anyone else on Notre Dame. Their team will be more balanced next year, and just might be better. Turner brings a lot to the table, her rebounding, and defense were as important as Loyd's scoring.

Reaction Score
Loyd was a nice player, but a volume shooter, she took almost twice as many shots, as anyone else on Notre Dame. Their team will be more balanced next year, and just might be better. Turner brings a lot to the table, her rebounding, and defense were as important as Loyd's scoring.

true, however on paper there will be much more competition to get to the final four

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I should amend that to "nobody 'huge' ". I still think that the tale of SC's potential improvement will mostly run through players who were already important parts of the rotation this year. We shall see, though.

I agree, next year will mostly depend on how big of a sophomore leap Wilson takes and the continued development of Coates... its funny though when people say "SC didn't recruit anybody, they can't sustain, blah blah blah".. To be honest, SC doesn't have the roster space to bring in another class like the 2014 class even if we wanted to. Next year, we bring in Shay Colley (the top Canadian player) and according to one of our beat writers (@DCthestate), SC will bring in a JUCO post player. But like CockhrnLeghrn said, we have plenty of really good players already on the roster that barely touched the floor last year... top 40 player Kaydra Duckett, top 10 player Jatarie White and a flashy shooting guard named Doniyah Cliney that we finally get to see.. barring injuries, these players WILL see the floor next year, providing the depth for Mitchell, Wilson, Coates, Sessions/Cuevas, Dozier/Roy....

Just looking at who we're recruiting for 2016 though, I expect that class to be around 3-4 players..

Reaction Score
But all opponents defensive game plan started and concentrated on stopping her, maiking it easier for her team-mates.

Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd is a tremendous, sensational player. She carried her young team this year. While she struggled in the NCAA Tourney -- there was a reason why the Young Irish were 2nd best team wcbb. When USC made their run - as well- they were getting pounded on the glass- - her team was young. There was a reason why she was overwhelming 2nd choice of wcbb best player.

With no Loyd I can't see them beating UCONN. The best thing about their team is they have an incredibly strong "core 3 players" going into next year. That wasn't the case for the Loyd-led team this year in that they were just too young.

Two years from now they will be a brutal tiger.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for UConn and some new blood in the final four next year, but that doesn't seem too likely. I wouldn't be surprised if it looked very similar to this years.

Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd is a tremendous, sensational player. She carried her young team this year. While she struggled in the NCAA Tourney -- there was a reason why the Young Irish were 2nd best team wcbb. When USC made their run - as well- they were getting pounded on the glass- - her team was young. There was a reason why she was overwhelming 2nd choice of wcbb best player.

With no Loyd I can't see them beating UCONN. The best thing about their team is they have an incredibly strong "core 3 players" going into next year. That wasn't the case for the Loyd-led team this year in that they were just too young.

Two years from now they will be a brutal tiger.
"Strong Core 3" ? The only strong player I see is Turner, IF, she makes that big freshmen to sophomore improvement. The rest look like good auxillary players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree, next year will mostly depend on how big of a sophomore leap Wilson takes and the continued development of Coates... its funny though when people say "SC didn't recruit anybody, they can't sustain, blah blah blah".. To be honest, SC doesn't have the roster space to bring in another class like the 2014 class even if we wanted to. Next year, we bring in Shay Colley (the top Canadian player) and according to one of our beat writers (@DCthestate), SC will bring in a JUCO post player. But like CockhrnLeghrn said, we have plenty of really good players already on the roster that barely touched the floor last year... top 40 player Kaydra Duckett, top 10 player Jatarie White and a flashy shooting guard named Doniyah Cliney that we finally get to see.. barring injuries, these players WILL see the floor next year, providing the depth for Mitchell, Wilson, Coates, Sessions/Cuevas, Dozier/Roy....

Just looking at who we're recruiting for 2016 though, I expect that class to be around 3-4 players..

Curious, Gamecock, was there no real opportunity to get the players you mentioned more playing time last season?

Reaction Score
"Strong Core 3" ? The only strong player I see is Turner, IF, she makes that big freshmen to sophomore improvement. The rest look like good auxillary players.

Turner is a potential super great player. A potential superstar. Because the other two aren't potentially at her level that doesn't mean they aren't strong.

Allen and Reimer are the other two.

How many Soph guards do you think were as good as Allen by the end of the year? Her shot improved a lot and she is very athletic- and now she's an upperclassmen. She's shown she can shoot, pass, score and of course with her athleticism she can defend. She'll only get better to boot.

Reimer is a solid player. She can pass. She can shoot. She can dribble. She can rebound. All fundamentals and she is able to do them pretty well as an underclassman soph. And she certainly was able to defend pretty well in the title game. She's a solid player with size only going to get better in next two years.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Curious, Gamecock, was there no real opportunity to get the players you mentioned more playing time last season?

Jatarie White was injured and had the flu at one point... hampering her ability to ever really get up to game speed condition. She played some late in the season if you didn't notice. Kaydra Duckett played cleanup in a few games.. she's going to a be a good one for us. She's a guard with a slightly more built frame and she likes to drive and has good ball handling skills. Doniyah Cliney had issues with the clearinghouse, so she was never cleared in time academically. She couldn't even practice with the team until the second half of the season. She's good to go now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Jatarie White was injured and had the flu at one point... hampering her ability to ever really get up to game speed condition. She played some late in the season if you didn't notice. Kaydra Duckett played cleanup in a few games.. she's going to a be a good one for us. She's a guard with a slightly more built frame and she likes to drive and has good ball handling skills. Doniyah Cliney had issues with the clearinghouse, so she was never cleared in time academically. She couldn't even practice with the team until the second half of the season. She's good to go now.

Im interested to see what White can do. She was the 2 time Gatorade player of the here in NC..... I want to see what all the hype is about

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Im interested to see what White can do. She was the 2 time Gatorade player of the here in NC..... I want to see what all the hype is about

I'm hoping the hype proves true. I would love another dominating post. From what I have seen, she has REALLY good footwork.. like, really good. She moves really well in the paint.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Thx for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog