In the works? Some surprise recruits coming? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In the works? Some surprise recruits coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Seriously? You think ODU in its conference is obtaining its achievements in a conference comparable to the old Big East? ODU got to the Fiesta Bowl? Beat Notre Dame? Shared two BCS conference championships? Beat an SEC team in a bowl in SEC country?

Reaction Score
Please show me the record of someone who took a FCS team to FBS and did better than what Randy did. I'll be waiting for your response. For a long, long time.

USF and Leavitt did pretty well making that same move.

Edit: RE did a fine job making that move, the question for me is can he exceed what he did before.

Reaction Score
Please show me the record of someone who took a FCS team to FBS and did better than what Randy did. I'll be waiting for your response. For a long, long time.

I mean I don't know what response you're looking for. I never said he didn't do an average to good job, I was only saying the comment of being "completely ignorant" about Edsall coaching a perennial 7-5 / 8-4 team that is only .500 against big time opponents wasn't necessarily totally off base

Reaction Score
His gift was doing just enough to beat Liberty, William & Mary, and 5 other teams (while losing miserably to anyone even moderately good) in a beaten-and-battered Big East to get us to 7 wins, a birth in the Roto-Rooter Bowl, and a 200k bonus.

Anything beyond that was dumb (REALLY DUMB) luck.

And yet the two coaches we've had since couldn't manage to get close to that level of production

Reaction Score
FCS? Les Miles? Smdh... Les Miles probably wouldn't have brought in 4 or 5 star players his first year or two, but he definitely would of brought in top notch 3 star players. You're talking about a guy that won a championship at LSU. At one point he was a top 5 coach in the country, top 2 in the SEC.

Les Miles would be forced to flip FCS recruits too. Just because a big name coach comes in doesn't mean UConn place in the world with four and five star recruits would necessarily change, particularly in the first 2 years.

Reaction Score
I get the sense that this was in the works for a while and RE2.0 has his staff ready to hit the ground on Jan 2.

How many surprise recruits do you think we get on signing day?

I bet we flip a few superior athletes from some FCS schools.

Depends on the Assistant staff ...

He could quickly bring 3 guys that were recruiting coordinators at peer or slightly lower schools and scoop up a handful of his basic under the radar types OR kids that fell out of love elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I mean I don't know what response you're looking for. I never said he didn't do an average to good job, I was only saying the comment of being "completely ignorant" about Edsall coaching a perennial 7-5 / 8-4 team that is only .500 against big time opponents wasn't necessarily totally off base
The point is we're trying to get back to being a 7-5/8-4 team that contends for conference championships and makes bowl games. Hopefully along the way we can rebuild the season ticket numbers and fan base and maybe luckbox our way into the ACC/B1G. At least at that point when the time comes to take the next step and hire the next coach when Randy retires the Moorheads/Orlandos/Flecks of the world will consider coming here.

Reaction Score
50-37 as a member of the Big East. Cool job including Yankee Conference and transitional FBS records as well as years when he had literally no facilities to recruit with in order to skew your stats.

I mean if anyone is skewing stats its yourself, I didn't manipulate or spin any numbers, while coach at UConn he coached 144 games and won 74 of them....that is fact. I know what you meant, but skewing stats is not the verbage you meant.

Taking that record of 50 - 37 thats a 57% percent win percentage...I don't know where you went to school, but at 57 on a test for me was a failure.

Reaction Score
The point is we're trying to get back to being a 7-5/8-4 team that contends for conference championships and makes bowl games. Hopefully along the way we can rebuild the season ticket numbers and fan base and maybe luckbox our way into the ACC/B1G. At least at that point when the time comes to take the next step and hire the next coach when Randy retires the Moorheads/Orlandos/Flecks of the world will consider coming here.

What you said is so important. Let's pretend I think that UConn could be a consistent 10-2 team in its current situation. I don't but let's pretend I did.

Many on here, with this Edsall cieling crap, are acting like it's going to be no big deal to get back to consistently win 8 a year. It's as if the right hire is going to come in, skip the steps of not sucking and being good, and go straight from we suck to we're great. That is not usually how college football works. Are there exceptions -- yes. Is it a good, realistic plan, no.

If your worry is what happens when we're stuck on 8.25 wins a seasona gain, my answer is let's all be ecstatic that that is our problem and then if you want to tell me we're likely to have a coach who has a better chance of taking the next step, we can have that argument. But there is no point in having it now, because you might as well be asking if you should throw (God, I'm awful with pop culture references) Meghan Fox out of bed because if you do maybe Brooklyn Decker will jump in.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

He could quickly bring 3 guys that were recruiting coordinators at peer or slightly lower schools and scoop up a handful of his basic under the radar types OR kids that fell out of love elsewhere.

Yeah. I think he has this lined up for a couple/few kids.

We'll see.

Reaction Score
I mean if anyone is skewing stats its yourself, I didn't manipulate or spin any numbers, while coach at UConn he coached 144 games and won 74 of them....that is fact. I know what you meant, but skewing stats is not the verbage you meant.

Taking that record of 50 - 37 thats a 57% percent win percentage...I don't know where you went to school, but at 57 on a test for me was a failure.

O.K., now you're skewing stats, because you're taking an athletic stat, where there is one winner and one loser so 50% is average, and comparing it to a test where the average score is between 75 and 80.

But thank you for making his point more clearly.

Reaction Score

I think the argument from a lot of people coming out against the hire is that if we were shooting for 7-5/8-4 seasons then why are we trying to spend so much money to get into a power 5. Let's just go to the MAC, be happy with out 8 wins and the Quick Lane Bowl every year and put basketball in the Big East.

I don't feel that way personally, but I think that's some peoples line of thinking. Now if what you're saying is, use Randy to get us back to 7/8 win seasons, make UConn more attractive to aspiring coaches, and then use them to get use to the 9/10/11 win seasons and actually compete for conference championship....I can board that train.

Reaction Score
O.K., now you're skewing stats, because you're taking an athletic stat, where there is one winner and one loser so 50% is average, and comparing it to a test where the average score is between 75 and 80.

But thank you for making his point more clearly.

lol okay sure, it was a tongue in cheek comment, if you want I can do a full regression analysis on it and get back to you, but I have better things to do with my life

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
you might as well be asking if you should throw (God, I'm awful with pop culture references) Meghan Fox out of bed because if you do maybe Brooklyn Decker will jump in.

I think this is the first known instance of anyone comparing Meghan Fox to Randy Edsall.

I think

Reaction Score

Hmmm.... Dave Wilczewski?

Reaction Score
I think this is the first known instance of anyone comparing Meghan Fox to Randy Edsall.

I think

Let's hope.

Although the odds are good Meghan Fox may know as much about recruiting QBs.

Reaction Score

The point is we're not playing in the Yankee Conference or as a transitional FBS team with absolutely no facilities anymore. Thus, Edsall's performance during those seasons is an uneven comparison to what he achieved post-2004 as well as starting this fall.

Taking your argument, Jim Calhoun has an all-time coaching record of 873-380, that's 69.7%. At UConn, he was 625-243 for 72%. Jim Harbaugh is 49-26 as a FBS head coach, good for 65.3%. I don't know where you went to school, but those guys all did pretty bad on that test. Guess they should've been fired.

Reaction Score
The point is we're not playing in the Yankee Conference or as a transitional FBS team with absolutely no facilities anymore. Thus, Edsall's performance during those seasons is an uneven comparison to what he achieved post-2004 as well as starting this fall.

Taking your argument, Jim Calhoun has an all-time coaching record of 873-380, that's 69.7%. At UConn, he was 625-243 for 72%. Jim Harbaugh is 49-26 as a FBS head coach, good for 65.3%. I don't know where you went to school, but those guys all did pretty bad on that test. Guess they should've been fired.

There are some classes in college where I would have loved a 72% yeah

Reaction Score
I think the argument from a lot of people coming out against the hire is that if we were shooting for 7-5/8-4 seasons then why are we trying to spend so much money to get into a power 5. Let's just go to the MAC, be happy with out 8 wins and the Quick Lane Bowl every year and put basketball in the Big East.

I don't feel that way personally, but I think that's some peoples line of thinking. Now if what you're saying is, use Randy to get us back to 7/8 win seasons, make UConn more attractive to aspiring coaches, and then use them to get use to the 9/10/11 win seasons and actually compete for conference championship....I can board that train.

"Some people" are too quick to conflate "competing for national championships" to "competing with a peer group on the East Coast like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UVA, etc.". My choices are not compete for national championships seriously or compete for MAC championships. I want to compete with large northeastern (and northern ACC) universities in football. I think there is a strong chance I can do it with this hire because he already did it, albeit when our conference situation didn't suck like it does now.

Reaction Score
"Some people" are too quick to conflate "competing for national championships" to "competing with a peer group on the East Coast like BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UVA, etc.". My choices are not compete for national championships seriously or compete for MAC championships. I want to compete with large northeastern (and northern ACC) universities in football. I think there is a strong chance I can do it with this hire because he already did it, albeit when our conference situation didn't suck like it does now.

completely agree, and the conference situation was a huge factor in recruiting being able to tell recruits with a straight face that you can compete for national championships as a BCS conference with dangling the chance of ACC or Big Ten picking up. Now it'll be interesting to see if he can find a way around that (which I predict he will).

Reaction Score
Edsall recruited smart and recognized the challenges associated with being a relative newbie at a northeastern school. He targeted certain kids early and then tolerated no nonsense when it came to "testing the waters". He was then able to get a lot of kids largely or totally off the radar with excellent athleticism and red shirt them to get them ready.

His teams can run and he never got caught up in this duck*ing pro-type bull . If you can play you play. If you were physically nasty, so much the better.

Neither P nor Diaco had OLs that could move my mother around. My fear is that Diaco in pursuit of size lost sight of speed. Hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom