In The Golden Glow, Trivia Questions and a 2020 Concern | The Boneyard

In The Golden Glow, Trivia Questions and a 2020 Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So, having just watched the Gold Medal game on replay, I have two questions that I can't answer (neither of which is terribly important):

1. Who is the gray-haired, grandmotherly-looking lady who sits on the US bench for every game? She is dressed like an assistant coach, but obviously she isn't.

2. The announcers today said twice that Alba Torrens on the Spain team is interested in playing in the WNBA. That is news to me, and it does have some importance to Connecticut Sun fans, because as far as I know, the Sun (who drafted her many years ago) still own her WNBA draft rights. I thought that she has had a standing invitation to play in Uncasville ever since she was drafted, and has declined. Are we to conclude that she now wants to play in the WNBA, but not for the Sun? That would be too bad. Or can we expect her on the roster next year? That would be great news -- certainly at least the equivalent of a lottery pick for the Sun next spring.

And now, the 2020 concern:

The expectation seems to be that Sue and Diana will not return in 2020, and we know that Tamika Catchings will not return. Lindsay Whalen is as old as Diana, so perhaps she will not return either. And Seimone Augustus is no spring chicken. Imagine if all five of them are absent in four years, or even 3 or 4 of the 5. What will the USA back court look like in that year?

I suppose that the top three candidates would be Moriah Jefferson, Odyssey Sims, and Skylar Diggins. The problem is that none of them have Olympic experience. By then, all of them should have international experience through their winter play, but that is not quite the same thing. If Geno is the coach, how will he cope with the absence of an experienced point guard? Will he rely on Moriah because of her familiarity with his expectations from her time at UConn?

I can understand (better now than before the Olympics) why Geno wanted Sue and Diana to return, and how much he planned to rely on them. I can't see how the offense can flow as well if none of the guards are really familiar with his Olympic offense, and there is so little practice time.

Usually there are younger players on the team who can be fully prepared for the next cycle, and that is certainly the case this year in the USA front court with Tina / Brittney / Stewie / EDD / Maya. But from this perspective, the back court "seed corn" has not been planted. There is an understandable reason for this -- the need for Sue and Diana's experience to win this year. But it creates a very real dilemma for 2020.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, they will probably use a brand new backcourt at the WC in 2018. And Odyssey played on the WC team in 2014, so she's not entirely inexperienced.

I think the woman on the bench is Carol Callan, the Women's National Team director.

Reaction Score
2020 is 4 years from now. 4 years is a long time. Moriah will be ready at PG. Jewell, Odyssey, etc. (I just can't type Steven Krajewski..Steven Krajewski... choke) will be ready. I'm more concerned who the coach will be. I vote for DT as player-coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So, having just watched the Gold Medal game on replay, I have two questions that I can't answer (neither of which is terribly important):

1. Who is the gray-haired, grandmotherly-looking lady who sits on the US bench for every game? She is dressed like an assistant coach, but obviously she isn't.

2. The announcers today said twice that Alba Torrens on the Spain team is interested in playing in the WNBA. That is news to me, and it does have some importance to Connecticut Sun fans, because as far as I know, the Sun (who drafted her many years ago) still own her WNBA draft rights. I thought that she has had a standing invitation to play in Uncasville ever since she was drafted, and has declined. Are we to conclude that she now wants to play in the WNBA, but not for the Sun? That would be too bad. Or can we expect her on the roster next year? That would be great news -- certainly at least the equivalent of a lottery pick for the Sun next spring.

The expectation seems to be that Sue and Diana will not return in 2020, and we know that Tamika Catchings will not return. Lindsay Whalen is as old as Diana, so perhaps she will not return either. And Seimone Augustus is no spring chicken. Imagine if all five of them are absent in four years, or even 3 or 4 of the 5. What will the USA back court look like in that year?

I suppose that the top three candidates would be Moriah Jefferson, Odyssey Sims, and Skylar Diggins. The problem is that none of them have Olympic experience. By then, all of them should have international experience through their winter play, but that is not quite the same thing. If Geno is the coach, how will he cope with the absence of an experienced point guard? Will he rely on Moriah because of her familiarity with his expectations from her time at UConn?

I can understand (better now than before the Olympics) why Geno wanted Sue and Diana to return, and how much he planned to rely on them. I can't see how the offense can flow as well if none of the guards are really familiar with his Olympic offense, and there is so little practice time.

Usually there are younger players on the team who can be fully prepared for the next cycle, and that is certainly the case this year in the USA front court with Tina / Brittney / Stewie / EDD / Maya. But from this perspective, the back court "seed corn" has not been planted. There is an understandable reason for this -- the need for Sue and Diana's experience to win this year. But it creates a very real dilemma for 2020.

To your question #1, that's Carol Callan, who's really been the architect of this incredible 20-year run since the 1996 Olympics:

Carol Callan: Women's National Team Director

Carol was also the chairwoman of the five-person selection committee that made the roster selections.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Skylar has never played professionally overseas and though she talks as if she is open to it, I think she's more interested in staying here developing her "brand."

Q+A: Skylar Diggins

Would that be a handicap. Yeah, but she's a talent if she can get and stay healthy. Her very overt "branding" is a turn off for me, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Skylar has never played professionally overseas and though she talks as if she is open to it, I think she's more interested in staying here developing her "brand."

Would that be a handicap. Yeah, but she's a talent if she can get and stay healthy. Her very overt "branding" is a turn off for me, but that's just me.
Trust me, it's not just you :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Skylar has only ever played one age specific USA basketball international competition so she has really limited exposure and I think will fall behind other hopefuls if she doesn't play a few winter seasons.
The change-over will begin with the 2018 worlds, and I wonder if USA basketball will see about playing the Fiba americas tournaments in 2017 and 2019 even though they are already qualified with this gold medal for the 2018 worlds (and if they won the worlds would be qualified for the Olympics.) It would be a chance to send a more developmental squad to an international competition, but I am not sure what the rules are on that.

I get the feeling that Geno has not said NO to returning for a third (which would match coach K on the men's side) so it is possible he will be back. And I suspect one or more of Sue, DT, and Whalen would be available for the 2018 team in a mentoring role even if they were unlikely to be available for 2020 - and I think USA basketball will ask one of them at least to do that. Sims has the 2014 WC experience, so I think she and or Jewell will be groomed for the DT hybrid role, and I think the PG position is likely to be a Robinson/Jefferson/? competition.

Reaction Score
This Olympic team was going to win gold unless a major upset happened even with a roster that was talented but aging. I will always believe Parker and young guard should have been on the team but am happy for their accomplishment. Tina, Maya, EDD, Griner, and Stewie should be back in full force but otherwise expect a largely new roster for the 2018 World Championships. Diggins, Sims, MoJeff, Loyd, will be part of the transition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For guard play of the future, I think it's unlikely in 2 years (for the WC's in Barcelona) that all 4 leave (Dee, Sue, Siemone and Lindsay). I think for sure Sue is gone, but it would not surprise me to see all 3 of the others back. With Catch and probably Sue leaving, if everyone else is back, I could see them adding 2 out of Moriah, Jewell, Oddesey and Kayla. I think Vandersloot will get a good look too. But I ultimately think her and Diggins will always be on the outside looking in...

Reaction Score
IMO, it really depends on who is coaching in 2020. If Bird and Taurasi are still up to it, I can see them convincing Geno to coach one more time. That is a long shot, though; I see 2016 as Bird's last run, and Whalen, as well (younger, but not in as good shape as Bird). Taurasi I see coming back, IF she and the coach agree. At this point (pun), Jefferson and Sims would be the PGs, but...who knows who else might be the mix in 4 years?

The Coach is the issue. I can't see them turning the program over to Bruno, even though he has the experience and is an excellent head coach. Staley...well, personally I would like to see her make hay in the NCAA Tournament before she gets this assignment (if you can't win with talent...), but she has all of the USA Basketball experience. I don't see Muffet accepting (or being offered the job), or Tara VanD accepting it, again. Sherri Coale? Kim Mulkey? Cheryl Reeve?

If Geno does it again, I say Taurasi will be there. If not, I'm not sure. The players will have to sell her on it. I don't see her EVER taking a Catchings-esque role.

...Dare I say it...Laimbeer?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the inside track on coach is probably Reeves, followed by perhaps Dawn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"If Geno does it again, I say Taurasi will be there. If not, I'm not sure. The players will have to sell her on it. I don't see her EVER taking a Catchings-esque role." Totally agree.

As far as the DT 2020 debate goes, one plus that makes the possibility plausible is the nature of her game. As Geno once quipped, she's "deceptively slow"! No, seriously, her game is more head than legs. But legs you do need and every human clock is different. It'll be Dee's body that tells her, not her heart for sure. She could do something no one else has done, which is win 5 gold metals. Never count her out.

Reaction Score

I respect this message board more then so many others, due to the positivity, and unity that's here most of the time, but to see Diggins get dragged by some of the people here so often is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
"If Geno does it again, I say Taurasi will be there. If not, I'm not sure. The players will have to sell her on it. I don't see her EVER taking a Catchings-esque role." Totally agree.

As far as the DT 2020 debate goes, one plus that makes the possibility plausible is the nature of her game. As Geno once quipped, she's "deceptively slow"! No, seriously, her game is more head than legs. But legs you do need and every human clock is different. It'll be Dee's body that tells her, not her heart for sure. She could do something no one else has done, which is win 5 gold metals. Never count her out.
Im sure DT is ready to start her life with out basketball especially with PT hanging them up, I can't see DT playing more then 3 seasons.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
carol-callan-geno-uconn-0402.jpg

Geno and his boss.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Im sure DT is ready to start her life with out basketball especially with PT hanging them up, I can't see DT playing more then 3 seasons.
Her life is basketball, and she is uber committed to fitness so anything is possible. Her game doesn't depend on speed or strength, so the natural diminution of those that come with age doesn't effect her game as much as it would with other players, and she hasn't had as many medical issues as a player like Sue. I would compare her to a player like Brady in football, someone that lives and breaths his sport and was never the 'elite' athlete but depends on his game smarts to perform at an elite level.

Reaction Score
Her life is basketball, and she is uber committed to fitness so anything is possible. Her game doesn't depend on speed or strength, so the natural diminution of those that come with age doesn't effect her game as much as it would with other players, and she hasn't had as many medical issues as a player like Sue. I would compare her to a player like Brady in football, someone that lives and breaths his sport and was never the 'elite' athlete but depends on his game smarts to perform at an elite level.
DEFINITELY wouldn't make that same comparison. Brady is an outstanding player, but a lot of him is a function of the system and organization that he is in. NOT diminishing his accomplishments, I just don't agree that he's on the same level as Diana in his demesne.

The comparison that I WOULD make with Brady is the first part of your statement; their games don't depend on physical mastery. D isn't the tallest, fastest, quickest, or strongest, but her basketball IQ combined with her total package is the BEST. Brady fits into that category as well; he isn't the strongest, definitely not the quickest or fastest, not the best passer, but his football IQ combined with his total package in that system is outstanding.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After Bird's relative lack of involvement in the last three games can we please put this "the US cannot win gold without Bird" talk to rest. The US made a mistake in not taking a young PG to Rio. I love Catchings but she was also not much of a factor during the game.

We missed a great opportunity to get our young guards some valuable experience.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think there are few younger players. That deserve a look next time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After Bird's relative lack of involvement in the last three games can we please put this "the US cannot win gold without Bird" talk to rest. The US made a mistake in not taking a young PG to Rio. I love Catchings but she was also not much of a factor during the game.

We missed a great opportunity to get our young guards some valuable experience.
Wow. Generally I enjoy your posts and agree with you, but that was just a dumb comment on so many levels (unless you were joking, for real). But I guess you know more than Geno who recently said something like "Sue can impact a game and be the most important player on the floor without taking a single shot".

Can we please stop with the potshots at Sue, who's probably the greatest PG to ever play the game?

Additionally, there will be plenty of time in 2 years to start bringing in younger guards when the World Championships begin in Barcelona. This team won by every game by an average of something like 33 PPG. They walloped Spain by 30 in the finals. The closest game, for the record, was a French team we previously dominated, but had to play without Sue.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wow. Generally I enjoy your posts and agree with you, but that was just a dumb comment on so many levels (unless you were joking, for real). But I guess you know more than Geno who recently said something like "Sue can impact a game and be the most important player on the floor without taking a single shot".

Can we please stop with the potshots at Sue, who's probably the greatest PG to ever play the game?

Additionally, there will be plenty of time in 2 years to start bringing in younger guards when the World Championships begin in Barcelona. This team won by every game by an average of something like 33 PPG. They walloped Spain by 30 in the finals. The closest game, for the record, was a French team we previously dominated, but had to play without Sue.

That was not a shot at Bird in any way. She is a tremendous player and undoubtedly deserved to be on this team. That was a shot at all of those who act as if there is not other talent in the US that can lead our women to gold. I think the US made a mistake in not taking a young guard to the games and had we chose to take a young PG she would have gotten invaluable experience.

My point was that Bird played very little in the last three games and the US is still played pretty well, not that Bird shouldn't have been on the team. So quit looking for a reason to be offended and take my comment as it was intended.

Reaction Score
Clearly the USA could have won without Catch...and given a young PG needed experience. But part of the greatness of our teams over the past 20 years has been built on loyalty to TEAM USA. Catchings has been the epitome of loyalty and team play. To leave her off in exchange for giving someone experience would have gone against the program's values. I think this was pretty much a perfect team. The future will take care of the future.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think what gets somewhat obscured in looking at stats and players is how incredibly efficient the USA team is, and that gets to how special the guard play is - and in that I included all but the five posts and forwards (BG, Sylvia, Tina, EDD and Stewart.)

The team as a whole had an assist/TO ratio of 1.8 and the two players who had less than a 1.0 were BG and Fowles - subtract their numbers out, and the A/TO goes up to 2.41. The five primary guards were DT, Sue, Lindsey, Angel, and Seimone and had a 2.65. That speaks to the kind of decision making that the team consistently exhibits and is hard to duplicate.

Add to that the 57% shooting which also speaks to decision making - very few shots were either forced or seriously contested - only two players on the team shot below 50%, Sue and Tamika (42% and 45%) and they accounted for only 46 total shots or 8% of the total shots taken (26 and 20 respectively) - the next lowest total shots was Stewart who took 30 and led the team at 73%, everyone else was shooting 40 plus times. Again, knowing when to shoot on a team like this is incredibly important.

Finally fouls - only BG averaged above 2 would per game, and Fowles was second at exactly 2 fouls per game - international rules with 5 fouls only and with generally excellent foul shooting opponents, fouls are a major concern. Playing sound international style defense is an important aspect of being an efficient defensive team.

The issue with the young guards that will be coming into the team is learning how to run the team efficiently - it is something that most of them have not shown themselves to be great at in either college or the pros. They tend to shoot a lot at moderate accuracy, and to have under a 2.0 A/TO ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom