In Praise of Napheesa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In Praise of Napheesa

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am not one who overlooks Williams. She has been one of my favorites since her freshman year. I believed I saw something in her that is now showing. However, I thought I'd see it with her playing the guard position. Anyone who does not see her value must have little basketball knowledge.

Reaction Score
The banter about who is "the better player" seems hollow to me ... each of the starters has an array of gifts that she offers to the team, to each other ... because they play together and play the positions that most help the team, statistics are not generally good indicators of "who is better" ... I don't think anyone can make the "who is better" judgment with a reasonable argument - there are too many variables ... each player has been "the better player", if we must categorize each one of them, on any given night ... this is perhaps one reason why this team may continue to add several or many numbers to "91" and counting ...

Reaction Score
This discussion is titled "In Praise of Napheesa". I believe the intention is to honor her with accolades, no? If you want to trump - no pun itended - her achievements with someone elses, then you may have been misdirected to this discussion. It is a dishonor to her efforts to spoil this small acknowledgement of her. If you feel player X is better than Collier, then find a discussion about player X. Her great achievements can be pointed out here without the comment being considered "hollow" or lacking the team spirit. There are plenty of discussions regarding who is the better player. This happens all the time and I don't believe that topic is "hollow". But go there if that's what you care to discuss. This forum has a little bit for everyone.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Not often since I have listened to Geno,has he lauded a player who is a sophomore as he did at the beginning at the season.On top of that,he said she would get even better.That has to be absolutely scary for the future games.Just sit back,close your eyes,and picture next year,with the rotation of possible All Americans coming on the floor,led by Napheesa,Lou,and Gabby.I believe when Wendy's asked,where's the beef,they could have only dreamed it was all in Connecticut on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
The three are excellent in different ways, and fortunately, them complement one another big-time. Because of her athleticism and rebounding ability, Gabby can set up Napheesa for some in-close shots. Because she's so fluid, stealthy and accurate, Napheesa contributes big buckets to UConn. Because she's deadly from outside and now is showing off the ability to drive to the basket and get rebounds, Katie Lou is a perfect third musketeer. Which one is better is really a dumb argument, IMHO.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This discussion is titled "In Praise of Napheesa". I believe the intention is to honor her with accolades, no? If you want to trump - no pun itended - her achievements with someone elses, then you may have been misdirected to this discussion. It is a dishonor to her efforts to spoil this small acknowledgement of her. If you feel player X is better than Collier, then find a discussion about player X. Her great achievements can be pointed out here without the comment being considered "hollow" or lacking the team spirit. There are plenty of discussions regarding who is the better player. This happens all the time and I don't believe that topic is "hollow". But go there if that's what you care to discuss. This forum has a little bit for everyone.
You are absolutely right on this and while I prefaced my comment, I should have given my support because I too am ecstatic over what she does every game and her progression in her leadership, hustle, knowledge and skills are truly impressive. Having just watched the ND-Tenn game, I became obsessed how Napheesa makes those paint players look Jurassic. Turner, Russell, Westbeld, Nunn got nothing on Pheesa!!!

Reaction Score
In light of last night's game I thought I would revive this thread with some updated statistics.

Since the original post in mid-January Napheesa has gotten better! In the 11 games since the original post after the SMU game she has stepped her game up even further. Her yearly scoring average has gone up from 19.3 to 19.8. Her shooting percentage has gone up from 65% to 68%. Her rebounding average has gone up from 8 to 9 a game. She has led the team in scoring 12 times -- including some of UConn's biggest games: Fla. St., Texas, Notre Dame and Ohio State (KLS is next with 10). She and Gabby have each lead the team in rebounding 13 times. Although KLS has scored 21 more points this season she has needed 80 more shots to do it. Geno may be right when he said that Napheesa needs to be more selfish about scoring.

But beyond the statistics she has been there when the team was faltering. She is the definition of consistent. As Geno has said multiple times over the last couple of weeks, she is the one player that can be counted on every game. She is not flashy but is unstoppable on offense (except by getting in foul trouble). She is first on the team in rebounds, FG% and blocks. She is second on the team in scoring and steals. She is averaging 19.8 and 9. Those are crazy good numbers.

She may also just have the best footwork and hands in the nation. She gets herself in great position and never misses a pass that she could catch and makes it look routine. She runs the floor on offense and defense. If Geno's big complaint about her is she doesn't talk enough ... well that speaks volumes (see what I did there?).

At this point in the season, she moves to a front row position in the All-American race. I have a very difficult time figuring out who are the two front court players who are having a better season.

Reaction Score
The magic of UConn year in and year out, but particularly this year, is that they are a well functioning team. Every piece is important, and not just the starters. It's obvious that they all feel important and valued. Simply look at the joy on their faces, watch their focus. It's all very special and we are blessed in being able to simply cheer for them a few nights a week and when they are not playing we are looking forward to the next game with delight. Is A better than B or C? I could care less. They are like your very own children, all are important to the fabric of the team. Whether they win any year end awards is irrelevant to me though of course I am pleased when they do. I know they are winners, truly unique people, bright eyed and bush tailed, both hard starters and great finishers. How proud we are of each and everyone of them. Is there one you would not like to have over for dinner just to say thank you?

Reaction Score
I feel that posting what I am about to say will sound a negative of Pheesa of which this is not. As far as NPOY, the candidate must be considered the #1 option on their own team and NC has GREAT stats and UConn would not be where they are without any of the top 7, however the #1 on the team is KLS that all teams have to try to stop. KLS ability to light it up and take inside as well as her 3 pt shot is lethal. Pheesa is great inside and the Stewie like numbers are remarkable. She deserves AA team recognition however getting to NPOY is a bit of a reach especially with the year Plum is having.

Personally, it is my view that KLS worth is overstated. There is no doubt that she is an excellent shooter and is the team's 3pt threat. But it has been shown that you can take her out of the game. Thus, my point isn't that she is the best pure shooter on the team, then it is that opposing defenses will target her because she is the one that is stoppable. Pheesa moves so often and so quickly and is so efficient in what she is doing that an opposing defense will not gain much from doubling her. While KLS has improved in shot creations, she is far away from being a player can produce for the team in the same way as Pheesa or others. Thus, I think Uconn can win with a less than productive KLS but, they would be on the early bus home with an equally less productive Pheesa, Gabby, etc. Having said this, the team requires KLS to play at a high level, or the others will be even more stressed. I would be surprised if Phessa doesn't add, consistently, the 4-pt shot next year. She has already the greenlight
Lastly, with qualifications abound, who becomes an AA depends on who the team wishes to honor and other judges. Based on what happens or not on the floor for the player is critical for my evaluation. Thus Gabby and Pheesa are the 2 players I would put up. Given the dizziness surrounding points being scored by the publicum and even the authorities, it would be a waste of time to make a case for someone like Nurse-- not when there are players putting up 50pts or whatever.

Reaction Score
Personally, it is my view that KLS worth is overstated. There is no doubt that she is an excellent shooter and is the team's 3pt threat. But it has been shown that you can take her out of the game. Thus, my point isn't that she is the best pure shooter on the team, then it is that opposing defenses will target her because she is the one that is stoppable. Pheesa moves so often and so quickly and is so efficient in what she is doing that an opposing defense will not gain much from doubling her. While KLS has improved in shot creations, she is far away from being a player can produce for the team in the same way as Pheesa or others. Thus, I think Uconn can win with a less than productive KLS but, they would be on the early bus home with an equally less productive Pheesa, Gabby, etc. Having said this, the team requires KLS to play at a high level, or the others will be even more stressed. I would be surprised if Phessa doesn't add, consistently, the 4-pt shot next year. She has already the greenlight
Lastly, with qualifications abound, who becomes an AA depends on who the team wishes to honor and other judges. Based on what happens or not on the floor for the player is critical for my evaluation. Thus Gabby and Pheesa are the 2 players I would put up. Given the dizziness surrounding points being scored by the publicum and even the authorities, it would be a waste of time to make a case for someone like Nurse-- not when there are players putting up 50pts or whatever.

The thing with Katie Lou, if she wasn't the 3 point shooter she is, teams wouldn't focus on her, daring her to shoot. Therefore, able to double team more in the post. Look at the SC game. Uconn layed off the SC guards daring them to shoot the 3 so they could double team the post. Because Uconn has 3 capable 3 point shooters, it's hard to do this. This helps Pheesa move and make plays in the paint.

Reaction Score
Do you know what I like the best from Napheesa?
Her smile! :). She has the most natural smile in the world!

collier.jpg

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Man are we all spoiled!Most teams search for one shining light on their favorite team.Just one player who can rescue a team from defeat is all they hope for.
And yet,we can put out an argument about how good several of our girls are,and who is better than the others,even though the chances are that at least three and maybe four will get All American consideration.
How unique it is to almost always be in this position year after year.We sure are the luckiest fans in the world!
And I have to believe,Napheesa is only going to get better and better,because I remember that coach said so.

Reaction Score
I'm just waiting for one Lou-esque burst of emotion. Maybe I'll be waiting a long time; I'm fine with that.

I just LOVE this kid. She's a fabulous person. Needs to eat her veggies a little better, but even then, she was likely taking one for the Team.

Reaction Score
I'm just waiting for one Lou-esque burst of emotion. Maybe I'll be waiting a long time; I'm fine with that.

I just LOVE this kid. She's a fabulous person. Needs to eat her veggies a little better, but even then, she was likely taking one for the Team.
Not gonna happen. Collier like Tuck was silent but deadly.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm already on record as being a HUGE Collier fan. She along with Dangerfield are my two favorite players. I like all of the girls, but these two are my favorites. It is such a pleasure to watch her play. She makes it look so easy. Naturally if I had a AA vote, Collier wold get it. Dangerfield still has the training wheels on, but they will come off sometime this year. Maybe before the season is over, maybe not until October/November. They will come off THIS calendar year.

Before she leaves, Crystal will make some remarkable and unbelievable plays. Her game will soon catch up with skill set. It will be hard to watch her and keep your mouth closed. She'll make you hit that rewind button a couple of times, just to make sure you saw what you think you did. She's been giving us little snippets and quick peeks of things to come. I expect the light to come on for her soon. When it does, she'll be running the floor, and making fast break no-look passes like Magic Johnson use to on a consistent basis, without the turnovers. Her shooting percentage will improve as well. Remember, she was a very prolific scorer in high school. Before she leaves in 3 years, she'll become the favorite of many other UConn fans as well.

Reaction Score
Personally, it is my view that KLS worth is overstated. There is no doubt that she is an excellent shooter and is the team's 3pt threat. (1) But it has been shown that you can take her out of the game. Thus, my point isn't that she is the best pure shooter on the team, (2) then it is that opposing defenses will target her because she is the one that is stoppable. Pheesa moves so often and so quickly and is so efficient in what she is doing that an opposing defense will not gain much from doubling her. While KLS has improved in shot creations, she is far away from being a player can produce for the team in the same way as Pheesa or others. Thus, I think Uconn can win with a less than productive KLS but, they would be on the early bus home with an equally less productive Pheesa, Gabby, etc. Having said this, the team requires KLS to play at a high level, or the others will be even more stressed. I would be surprised if Phessa doesn't add, consistently, the 4-pt shot next year. She has already the greenlight

I think she gets understated as imo does Collier and Gabby. All three imo are a/a's in the top 10.

1-- How many games "has she been taken out of the game?" One game I recall in which she missed evryhitng vs USC. I think the other stuff is media myth. What happens is that the announcers overstate what they would do "to stop her" and whenever she misses a shot it's over-exaggerated that it was "in yoru face defense" and "the physical play" that is "wearing on her." Case in point, in one of the later games Doris Burke - I think vs USC- said after Lou missed a 3 it was the in your face defense that caused the miss. That was a BS statement. The defender gave her room- she was open-- plus Lou is 6'3 while the defender is 6'0. She did NOTHING to affect the shot. Lou missed it.

2-- What do you think is the best way to defend Lou? Man-to-man or zone? If you were to defend her-- what would be your best option to defend her of the two? Now forget about Lou. In your opinion what would be the best way to defend Gabby? Man-to-man with the big pf or center that is forced to guard her man-to-man or guard her utilizing a zone? Now forget about Gabby and Lou. If you were a defensive coach, would you rather have Collier getting off shots inside the paint or rather have her taking outside shots and while she is on the perimeter she'd have to work on being a bit more of a creator for others? Which would you think Collier is best at? Inside the paint, right? And isn't usually one of the biggest attributes of a zone is that it makes it harder for the offense to be effective inside the paint?

So when a team plays man-to-man defense, unless it is a sagging man-to-man - isn't this better for Collier and Gabby but not as good for Lou (unless the defense was sagging from Lou also ofc)? How "stoppable" would Lou be if a team played a zone designed to give Gabby and Collier more trouble rather than play a man defense which gives Lou more trouble? But I just want to add Lou has been "stopped" ie.e she MISSED even though she had open looks vs USC. Not really vs anyone else. So one game vs a top 10 team, how significant is that?

I won't argue anyone believes Collier and Gabby are better. But I think you are not giving Lou enough credit and aren't giving much consideration of what the defenses are doing and can do if there is no Lou vs what they would do with No Collier or Gabby. Without Lou, the defenses would zone and it would be harder for Collier and Gabby. There is good chance you would then say open or both Gabby ro Collier can more easily be stopped. For example, Gmae over game- Gabby is not going to hit that outside shot. She doesn't even hit her free throws consistenly game over game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Frankly I'm kinda bummed that this post started as "In Praise Of Pheesa" and somehow became, "Which player is more deserving of our praise".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom