Inês to Gonzaga | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Inês to Gonzaga

Reaction Score
I didn't think nor expect her to go there - I thought she would stay in the East Coast. But this is ideal for her - Gonzaga lost point guards (the twins) and actually needs more guards after this.

Jesuit school, really good program......Spokane, not too far from Seattle.

The local paper's report:

Not much to say if you just look at the numbers but if I were reporting, I would have highlighted how she held her nerve shooting free throws to protect the lead in the closing seconds, not too long into her freshman year after a rushed recruiting maneuver by UConn.

Good program for her to be part of after the two years at UConn, practicing, playing against guys and developing which, to me, was noticeable even in the limited minutes she got this past year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4 graduated starters including 3 guards. 2 probable starting guards for next year transferred out. As far as I can tell there is only 1 returning guard.
They had 8 guards on the roster last year, though 2 of them are 6'2"; 5 left as you said. Whatever number is left, the biggest need is for point guard. So Ines fits nicely. From the visible progress she made during her two years, good development and she seems to be a bright girl. Will definitely see action. Will she start? Depends on whether another incoming PG is better. Good chance, I would say.

Reaction Score
4 graduated starters including 3 guards. 2 probable starting guards for next year transferred out. As far as I can tell there is only 1 returning guard.
Checked their signees for 2024: two incoming guards, one from Spain, at 5'11". The other from MO, is a PG, 5'8", not in ESPN Top 100.

The current coach who replaced Graves seems to have a good eye for talent even if the highly ranked ones are beyond her reach, being a mid-major program

Reaction Score
An added bonus, Inês and Nika will be just a four hour drive away from each other. I'm sure whenever possible they'll be at each other's games.

I would expect Nika to be playing in Europe during the WNBA off season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They should've used her freshman year stats which would have shown more starts and minutes.

The main takeaways is they have need for a point guard and Ines will have the opportunity to prove herself at point. She is better than her stats, and I look forward to seeing how she develops.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kinda relative. 4-5 hour drive probably.
What can you tell us about the campus and the Spokane area? I've heard it's a great campus and assume the area is pretty country.

Reaction Score
They should've used her freshman year stats which would have shown more starts and minutes.

The main takeaways is they have need for a point guard and Ines will have the opportunity to prove herself at point. She is better than her stats, and I look forward to seeing how she develops.
I would say, much better.

Unless the coaching staff finds another PG in the transfer portal, the only other PG candidate is a freshman. Although not listed in the Top 100 of ESPN, the coach thinks highly of her. But Ines will have the advantage, so she has a great opportunity to contribute significantly to the team the rest of her eligibility. That Gonzaga coach actually has a sharp eye for talent, so she can tell.

What a journey this is turning out for Ines: diverted at the last minute from a DIII school to the storied program of UConn, then after two years of development and some game time (intensive training, if you will for someone from the Azores), on to another storied program, this one among mid-majors.

Anyway I look at it, this development shows that Ines has a Fairy Godmother looking out for her. And she has Paige's parting words to take with her!

"Man… forever my son I love you my child, go be great "

(This is really why I prefer Paige over Caitlin but to be fair, I don't know much about the latter off the court.....OTH, we just know a little bit more than nothing about UConn WBB players as they go through the program, which is much more than we know about the other players elsewhere. But it is enough to appreciate them, forever it seems)

Paige and Ines.jpg

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What can you tell us about the campus and the Spokane area? I've heard it's a great campus and assume the area is pretty country.
Never actually been on campus, but I have been in Spokane a little bit. The River Walk area of downtown is really nice, fairly close to campus I believe. Site of the World's Fair in 1974. As you travel east of the Cascade Mountains you go through some really dry country, but by the time you get to Spokane it's greener and lusher.

Reaction Score
OK, this is the last of what I found on the the Zags guards:

2 freshman guards incoming

Someone thinks Ines could be first day starter

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Many people consider Gonzaga the UConn of the West, a team that is almost always the top of their Conference and always going to the Dance. I've seen Gonzaga play in the WCC Tournament and always seem to be a level or two above the rest of the WCC. Congrats Ines and hope to see you play in next years WCC Conference Tournament here in Vegas.

Reaction Score
I thought she had committed to Manhattan College. Am I confusing her with someone else?
Nika's sister committed to Manhattan College. Hopefully it wasn't in anticipation of Nika being drafted by the Liberty, as was heavily reported prior to the draft.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga WBB official statement on Ines joining the program:

The coach's statement:

Lisa Fortier on Bettencourt: Ines is going to be a great addition to our team. She is coming from a high level program, and knows how to work hard every day. She has a drive to continue to improve, and has shown a balance of poise and urgency in stressful game situations, which is critical for a point guard. We can't wait to get Ines on campus and get to work!

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
This doesn't fit in neatly anywhere, so I'll stick it here. Ines lack of playing time this past season puzzled me and stuck in my craw some.
Was kind of classic Geno. Particularly in big east games, would have been easy to get her 10 minutes plus every game. He preferred to keep playing kk and ash, believing every minute of experience will help in March.

Flip side is I know Geno quite liked and respected Ines, and his communication with her would have been clear and direct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom