Improvements we hope we see in 2016 on the field | The Boneyard

Improvements we hope we see in 2016 on the field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm starting this off.. Hopefully you guys chime in.

I'm hoping we get more of a pass rush off the edges on D... Trevardo Williams spoiled the heck out of me when he was here... He had that reeeediculous speed off the edge and seemed to be in the opposing team's offensive backfield a ton... Would be nice if we could get a few of our kids to make a jump like that on D and start getting some sacks in that manner, off the edge... just a little more than the last several years...

I'm also hoping to see even better QB to WR play. We improved a bunch last year, but still had a bit of an issue in the redzone... We need our WRs to make catchable catches all the time along with understanding clock management from the QB position. Those seem to be fixable things, so, IMO, if we do that again this year that's just due to lack of coaching and/or talent.. That shouldn't happen this year... just shouldn't... Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 8 or more wins this year...

OL, OL, OL - IF our coaches think that highly to put RS frosh Peart in as a bookend starter at Tackle then you gotta feel that we might have a group in place (2 Deep) that can do enough to take us to that next level (8 wins or more)....

That's my two cents for now..

Have at it...

Reaction Score
Block, block block and just an incrementally improved running game that helps us and get the ball to Thomas in situations where he can pick up additional yards. This seems like a reasonable expectation.

Confident that improved blocking and experience will allow Shirrefs to maximize his skills and game management. A greater time of possession and more completed drives should be the goal and result.

Reaction Score
1. OLine pass and run blocking
2. Red Zone O needs TD's
3. Punt return game
4. No regression on D.
You would think we could utilize our 6-7 TE or two 6-5 receivers down there.
But generally the offense needs to execute better overall.
Maybe Skanes can seethe field as a PR guy this year?

Reaction Score
We run the ball well, we'll be able to balance the offense and we will have a chance in every game. So that's largely on OL, but not entirely.

Couple of the young LBs step up (do we have the next Sio or Wilson or Lutrus waiting to blossom?) and the defense could be even better than last year. Big IF.....

Reaction Score
1. Play Fast on O - No More Delay Of Games. Also, this helps OLine/QB read and play aggressively, puts D on heels
2. OLine Improvement - Helps all other facets of offense. We've been playing 2nd & 8 football for too long.
3. DLine Pass Rush - DE's/OLBs need to step up and cause chaos.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think we will see more of the same on Defense, but I want to see less of the defense in the field. I realize that Coach Diaco's style is bend/don't break, but too often it seems they'd force 3rd and long and give the yardage.

Offense:
Less 3rd downs. The goal is to get first downs (which ultimately should lead to touchdowns. After all, one more first down with goal to go is just that), not make 3rd down manageable, as Tweedle Dumb was gunning for during the NC State game in 2012. It is okay to gain a first down on 1st or second down too. Of course if a 3rd down should come to pass, how about less telegraphing of the play. It is okay to pass the ball on third and short.

Less grass stains on the QB. RYPA of 4 or better as a team and PYPA of 8.0 or better.

All of this, of course, is predicated on improved offensive line play. So that is my primary underlying desire.

Reaction Score
First lets get to 3rd and manageable and then lets convert. Move the ball

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
3rd down D

Red zone

More imaginative offensive play calling and let's not do three straight hb dive plays when we're down in the 2nd half :)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First lets get to 3rd and manageable and then lets convert. Move the ball
I don't even want to see 3rd and manageable. It's not against the rules to get a first down on second down or to string a couple two tree of them together.

Reaction Score
I don't even want to see 3rd and manageable. It's not against the rules to get a first down on second down or to string a couple two tree of them together.
Agree, just making the point that last year we were third and forever and often couldn't convert. Just want to move the ball and punch it in. Would love to take some pressure off of our D and control the ball. Even would be nice to have some big play capability. Would love for the line to control the line of scrimmage and protect the QB while opening holes...Too much to ask for?

Reaction Score
The staff, the OL and ST if everything else is the same or better it will be a fun year. Can't wait

Reaction Score
1. Better offensive line play.
2. Get the play in quickly and get to the line of scrimmage.
3. Better QB play. This could be #1.
4. Thomas cannot take games off. He has to force his way into the game plan.
5. The offense has to be better converting 3rd down, we were 116 in 3rd down conversions in the BCS last year.
6. The defense has to stop opponents on third down especially 3rd and long, we were 80th in the BCS last year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
3rd down D

Red zone

More imaginative offensive play calling and let's not do three straight hb dive plays when we're down in the 2nd half :)
I'm all set on more imaginative stuff. Just need to fill in that middle ground between HB right and flee flickers.

Reaction Score
A new public address anouncer who knows when to shut up.

I hear you. I hate that announcer. we need a guy with some excitement. This guy belongs at the WBB games (which I also really enjoy by the way.)

Ohh..you said on the field. Pretty simple. Improved O-line will cause a positive domino effect for much of everything else.

I loved the excitement the team showed for themselves last year. More of that, and some big plays. I would love for any of the O-line guys to be someone we want to see replays of as he dominates the opponent over and over. Nothing like a great block!

Reaction Score
1. OLine pass and run blocking
2. Red Zone O needs TD's
3. Punt return game
4. No regression on D.

Right on. I would add to a lesser degree:

1) Better route running
2) Better use of TEs
3) More play action, less run from pistol

Reaction Score
1.) Oline
2.) 3rd Down conversion
3.) Edge pass rush (Will Richardson, Ormsby, D. Parker & N. Williams)
4.) Punt return (Lemelle, Skanes)
5. #2 Compliment to Noel Thomas
6.) Time management
7.) RonJon explosiveness
8.) Better punting from Wain
9. No regression from Puyol
10. Shirreffs accuracy / reads

Reaction Score
Sustained drives that keep the defense off of the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics