I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G | The Boneyard

I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Combined Statistical Areas, one of a number of devices used to group regions, are based on socioeconomic and commuting patterns. Four of the top eight most populous, New York, D.C./Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia represent in excess of 48 million people and make up the majority of Delany's targeted Northeast Megalopolis. Combined with the Midwest, such a bi-regional B1G would be, for all intents and purposes, the sole supplier of major college sports to 100 million souls. I guarantee Delany is serious as a heart attack about making the Northeast B1G country.

Combined Statistical Areas
Rank / CSA / Population
1 / New York / 23,484,225
4 / DC-Balt / 9,443,180
6 / Boston / 8,041,303
8 / Phila. / 7,146,707

My own belief is that Delany knows such enormous populations will be difficult/next-to-impossible to conquer with Rutgers and Maryland alone. I think his approach, for the most part, will be a trident aimed at each CSA. Philadelphia, for instance, will be sold using Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland. DC/Balt will have Penn State, Maryland, and, I believe, Virginia. New York will be UConn, Rutgers, Penn State/B1G alums. That leaves Boston. There is no three headed spear for New England. Other than UConn and BCU there is no major college athletics department in the region, and BC is singularly unsuited for B1G membership. This makes UConn doubly important to the B1G. We will be expected to do the majority of the heavy lifting in New England not unlike Penn State has done for Phila. and much of New Jersey in the past.

No doubt Virginia will be a tough sell but once it becomes obvious that, together, the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC to get to 16 teams each, the Cavaliers will crack like a Louisville Slugger hit on its trademark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Combined Statistical Areas, one of a number of devices used to group regions, are based on socioeconomic and commuting patterns. Four of the top eight most populous, New York, D.C./Baltimore, Boston, and Philadelphia represent in excess of 48 million people and make up the majority of Delany's targeted Northeast Megalopolis. Combined with the Midwest, such a bi-regional B1G would be, for all intents and purposes, the sole supplier of major college sports to 100 million souls. I guarantee Delany is serious as a heart attack about making the Northeast B1G country.

Combined Statistical Areas
Rank / CSA / Population
1 / New York / 23,484,225
4 / DC-Balt / 9,443,180
6 / Boston / 8,041,303
8 / Phila. / 7,146,707

My own belief is that Delany knows such enormous populations will be difficult/next-to-impossible to conquer with Rutgers and Maryland alone. I think his approach, for the most part, will be a trident aimed at each CSA. Philadelphia, for instance, will be sold using Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland. DC/Balt will have Penn State, Maryland, and, I believe, Virginia. New York will be UConn, Rutgers, Penn State/B1G alums. That leaves Boston. There is no three headed spear for New England. Other than UConn and BCU there is no major college athletics department in the region, and BC is singularly unsuited for B1G membership. This makes UConn doubly important to the B1G. We will be expected to do the majority of the heavy lifting in New England not unlike Penn State has done for Phila. and much of New Jersey in the past.

No doubt Virginia will be a tough sell but once it becomes obvious that, together, the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC to get to 16 teams each, the Cavaliers will crack like a Louisville Slugger hit on its trademark.
I'm sold!
Also factor in Rentschler Field after expansion. Hartford is very easy to get to from anywhere in New England, and probably an easier trip for many New Yorkers than is Rutgers. An airfield full of tailgating. B1G fans throughout the Northeast will appreciate it!

Reaction Score
Question: In your scenario where "the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC" what to do with the elephant in the room a.k.a. UNC? The Tarheels are the lynchpin of the ACC & have been rumored in many threads as pairing with UVa to the B1G. How to separate the links of UVa-V.Tech & UNC-NC State? Not trying to throw a bucket of water on your enthusiasm, just a reality check.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Before the Debbie Downers throw water on you, let me state that I LOVE your enthusiasm. I, too, am convinced that UCONN is positioning itself to make it awfully difficult for Jim Delany to pass on adding UCONN. The 3-5 Year Plan is in Year 2. Of vital importance in Year 2: re-establish football as competitive, football fan support home and away (read: Yankee Stadium), academics inch closer to AAU, faculty expansion begins to boost enrollment numbers, fundraising fundraising fundraising (endowment should be closer to $450M-$500M by the end of the fiscal year).

If the ACC is poached, I think the B1G would LOVE to grab UNC and UVA. Both schools fit the B1G model and would offer a good combo of athletics and academics. Now, we can speculate when this goes down. If deregulation passes, theoretically the B1G can add a solo UCONN (for now) and then go to battle with a GOR conference to see what they can get. If the B1G went after UCONN, Kansas, UNC and UVA, that would be one heck of a power play swoop to solidify hoops as the best in the country (by far) and dip into southern football recruiting. That gets the conference to 18 where it can sit and wait out someone like Texas or ND.

pj

Reaction Score
Question: In your scenario where "the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC" what to do with the elephant in the room a.k.a. UNC? The Tarheels are the lynchpin of the ACC & have been rumored in many threads as pairing with UVa to the B1G. How to separate the links of UVa-V.Tech & UNC-NC State? Not trying to throw a bucket of water on your enthusiasm, just a reality check.

First, in his scenario the SEC is expanding too and will want footprint in North Carolina and Virginia. So UVa-V Tech links are not a problem, one goes to the B1G and one to the SEC, both are happy. Then (a) the B1G decides whether to stop at 16 or go to 18 or 20, simultaneously with (b) UNC deciding if it wants the B1G or SEC. UNC fans will prefer the SEC, but academics may prefer the B1G. If UNC chooses the SEC, the B1G takes UConn and UVa for 16 and then if it wants to grow, takes Duke and Ga Tech or Florida State for 18, possibly both with another school somewhere for 20 (maybe Vanderbilt joins like-minded schools Duke and Ga Tech for a southern pod?), or abandons the south and waits for the B12 to dissolve to grow further in the west. If UNC chooses the B1G, the B1G takes UVa and UNC for 16 and has to decide whether to take UConn plus one or three from Duke, Ga Tech, Florida State for 18 or 20.

Reaction Score

UNC will not leave the ACC unless it has to because 1) it has power in the ACC that it would not have in the B1G or SEC and 2) moving out of the ACC would fracture UNC between the academic pro BIG folks and the athletic pro SEC folks. Two other issues is what would happen to Duke as the UNC/Duke relationship generates a lot of money (TV and alumni) for both schools and the possible threat to UNC athletics should UNC go to the B1G enabling NC State to go to the SEC.

UVA aligned closely to UNC; but, should the ACC fold, they lean more towards the B1G than the SEC, just look at the 2012 presidential election map for Virginia to see why. I can see V Tech going to the SEC as they have some football cred and would give the SEC a foothold in the DC area. But, the Commonwealth of Virginia used a lot of weight to get V Tech into the ACC and I am not sure they would support a departure unless absolutely necessary.

Reaction Score
The ACC has to add UConn now. Why?
1. To stop potential B1G grab if UConn is 5 years.
2. Because it now can with the new NCAA rules for holding championships (with 15 teams).
3. Because ESPN is going to add $1m to everyone's bottom line for taking UConn.
4. Because the ACC is sick of watching UConn win national championships.

Reaction Score
UNC will have to make a choice: either remain as the lynchpin in a weakened ACC or accept an invitation to the SEC. There is no way Delany attempts to pull them into the B1G, at least not until the middle third of the century. UNC would be an even tougher nut than Virginia. They are far more deep south. The culture shock alone would give both the Tar Heels and the B1G more than reason to reject each other. Plus, what would be Delany's incentive to take on the SEC in its own backyard? Isn't a two-region conference enough of a challenge? Does he really need to attempt a three-region strategy when his current brand requires some re-burnishing? In my opinion, North Carolina is a bridge too far.

The SEC on the other hand needs two teams to get to 16 and two states to full-fill its destiny: North Carolina and Virginia. A North Carolina university and the other Virginia school fit nicely. Would the SEC prefer UNC to NC State? I don't know but if I held an executive position in Chapel Hill I'd sure be trying to find out.

So, I think the B1G ignores UNC now because the risk of failure is just too troubling: risk of not executing in the northeast and risk of failure in the southeast.

Reaction Score
2. Because it now can with the new NCAA rules for holding championships (with 15 teams).
F the ACC.
Espn is going to add $1m? What?

Reaction Score
UNC will have to make a choice: either remain as the lynchpin in a weakened ACC or accept an invitation to the SEC. There is no way Delany attempts to pull them into the B1G, at least not until the middle third of the century. UNC would be an even tougher nut than Virginia. They are far more deep south. The culture shock alone would give both the Tar Heels and the B1G more than reason to reject each other. Plus, what would be Delany's incentive to take on the SEC in its own backyard? Isn't a two-region conference enough of a challenge? Does he really need to attempt a three-region strategy when his current brand requires some re-burnishing? In my opinion, North Carolina is a bridge too far.

The SEC on the other hand needs two teams to get to 16 and two states to full-fill its destiny: North Carolina and Virginia. A North Carolina university and the other Virginia school fit nicely. Would the SEC prefer UNC to NC State? I don't know but if I held an executive position in Chapel Hill I'd sure be trying to find out.

So, I think the B1G ignores UNC now because the risk of failure is just too troubling: risk of not executing in the northeast and risk of failure in the southeast.
I don't really understand the culture shock. What about the shock of a North Carolina conference adding all those northern schools? UNC is great in both academics and athletics and today fits in much better with the B1G than with either the ACC or SEC. Just my opinion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I agree with all but #3. EPSiN can go F themselves. They won't add a penny to anything. They already own UCONN's rights for pennies on the dollar (thanks Aresco!). That said, I can see the ACC looking into creating its own Network and, if they do that, then UCONN becomes VERY valuable to them. The ACC would essentially lock up every major east coast market from Maine to Key West and that would be a huge financial boom to their bottom-line. An ACC combo play of the Fruit and UCONN (and ND) would offset any NYC in-roads the B1G would get (or not get) from adding Rutgers. Also, UCONN/BC (and ND) games would turn on additional new TV sets in Boston.

But that would make way too much logical sense for the ACC and that's why they won't do it. Instead, they'll likely shop for small-time community colleges in small markets who are a distant second fiddle within their own market. The UCONN and ACC marriage is never meant to happen no matter how much rational logic and reason that is behind it.

Reaction Score
The ACC's dilemma, i.e., whether to move on UConn now and force the B1G's hand or wait and hope the B1G chokes on Rutgers and Maryland and decides to wait on further expansion, is why I see us going B1G. An ACC invitation now all but assures a B1G counter offer and the B1G won't choke on Rutty/Terps and it will become even more obvious to Delany that he needs UConn's cavalry in the northeast. Either way, it's UConn in the B1G. BTW, your point #2 augurs well for an early B1G invitation while still working on UVA. And UConn to the B1G alone will most likely encourage an SEC move which puts pressure on Virginia to make a decision.

Reaction Score
I don't really understand the culture shock. What about the shock of a North Carolina conference adding all those northern schools? UNC is great in both academics and athletics and today fits in much better with the B1G than with either the ACC or SEC. Just my opinion.
I agree that UNC fits the B1G profile well. Not sure what you meant about a North Carolina conference adding a bunch of northern schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Before the Debbie Downers throw water on you, let me state that I LOVE your enthusiasm. I, too, am convinced that UCONN is positioning itself to make it awfully difficult for Jim Delany to pass on adding UCONN. The 3-5 Year Plan is in Year 2. Of vital importance in Year 2: re-establish football as competitive, football fan support home and away (read: Yankee Stadium), academics inch closer to AAU, faculty expansion begins to boost enrollment numbers, fundraising fundraising fundraising (endowment should be closer to $450M-$500M by the end of the fiscal year).

If the ACC is poached, I think the B1G would LOVE to grab UNC and UVA. Both schools fit the B1G model and would offer a good combo of athletics and academics. Now, we can speculate when this goes down. If deregulation passes, theoretically the B1G can add a solo UCONN (for now) and then go to battle with a GOR conference to see what they can get. If the B1G went after UCONN, Kansas, UNC and UVA, that would be one heck of a power play swoop to solidify hoops as the best in the country (by far) and dip into southern football recruiting. That gets the conference to 18 where it can sit and wait out someone like Texas or ND.

Arguing with the OP of this thread would be like arguing with someone's game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Reaction Score
Acc is not getting carved up, but i am glad you're more convinced than ever.

Reaction Score
An ACC invitation now all but assures a B1G counter offer and the B1G won't choke on Rutty/Terps and it will become even more obvious to Delany that he needs UConn's cavalry in the northeast.

Aren't you forgetting about confidentiality agreements? In your scenario, once UConn signs a confidentiality agreement with the ACC to begin negotiations, how is the BIG going to know that they should also begin negotiations with UConn and make a counteroffer?

Reaction Score
Aren't you forgetting about confidentiality agreements? In your scenario, once UConn signs a confidentiality agreement with the ACC to begin negotiations, how is the BIG going to know that they should also begin negotiations with UConn and make a counteroffer?
We inform the B1G of ACC interest before we sign any confidentially agreements.

Reaction Score

I totally agree. I hate the ACC as much as anyone on this board. But I don't see them getting carved up. Also, I don't see the BIG adding UVA or UNC as long as the ACC has a GOR in place. Would their GOR hold up in court? Maybe some of the attorneys on this site can address that. Lastly, I would much prefer UCONN go to the BIG but my gut tells me that they we'll end up in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I suppose it depends on your definition of "carved up." I don't mean that the ACC will disappear ala the Big East. It will continue exist in some diminished capacity. However, it has already experienced a degree of carving with the exit of Maryland. My definition of carving is that the B1G and SEC will poach additional members, most likely in Virginia and North Carolina.

Reaction Score
I Supposed I Could See Virginia Leaving. Unc On The Other Hand, I Could See Them Having Difficulty Ditching Duke And NC State. What Do I Know,Though, Absolutely Nothing.

Reaction Score
when did the NCAA officially change the rules allowing #2 ???

Reaction Score

I live in Mn and work out of an office in Winston-Salem. The B1G and UNC do not mix. They may fit the profile as an institution, but not as a culture. It would be disastrous. UVA would be borderline today. You can not add another south of UMd until that proves successful. If UMd integrates with the B1G then UVA can except without to much drama. The GOR is the perfect amount of time for the B1G to show UVA that UMd is working and they could too.

Reaction Score
I Supposed I Could See Virginia Leaving. Unc On The Other Hand, I Could See Them Having Difficulty Ditching Duke And NC State. What Do I Know,Though, Absolutely Nothing.
I don't see UNC going to the B1G either. Virginia, however, is reasonably close to DC and would complement Maryland well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom