I'm Just Thinking Out Loud.... | The Boneyard

I'm Just Thinking Out Loud....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The uniform #23 has been worn by two greats over the years, which have experienced numerous NC and plus 5,000 points. As a new poster, I was wondering if this might be the last NC that will see this number. Does UConn not only honor AA on its wall, but also retire numbers?

Reaction Score
The uniform #23 has been worn by two greats over the years, which have experienced numerous NC and plus 5,000 points. As a new poster, I was wondering if this might be the last NC that will see this number. Does UConn not only honor AA on its wall, but also retire numbers?

Numbers are not retired so multiple players can have the same number. For example, Maya Moore and KML both wore 23 and both 23's are on the wall of honor, under each of their names, having been First Team All Americans. It is possible a new player could come along, wear 23, be an All American and find a place on the wall for the third # 23.

Reaction Score
Geno will honor a Player and that number, but he does not RETIRE numbers.

Reaction Score
Numbers are not retired so multiple players can have the same number. For example, Maya Moore and KML both wore 23 and both 23's are on the wall of honor, under each of their names, having been First Team All Americans. It is possible a new player could come along, wear 23, be an All American and find a place on the wall for the third # 23.
Are you saying KLS or Boykin or Collier may wear 23?? I hope it is KLS. Forgot to say Geno's policy is that the previous owner of a particular number gets to approve of the next person (to be allowed) to wear that number. I love that. Can you imagine a Freshman asking DT or Sue or Svet for permission to wear "their " number.???? I think I'd just choose Zero.

Reaction Score
Geno may keep numbers aside. He never allowed anyone to wear Rebecca's number. I think he planned to do the same with Diana Taurasi but Tiffany Hayes wanted it and Geno made her ask D who said it was okay. Has anyone worn Kerry Bascom's number?

Reaction Score
Are you saying KLS or Boykin or Collier may wear 23?? I hope it is KLS. Forgot to say Geno's policy is that the previous owner of a particular number gets to approve of the next person (to be allowed) to wear that number. I love that. Can you imagine a Freshman asking DT or Sue or Svet for permission to wear "their " number.???? I think I'd just choose Zero.
I don't think any of them do wear 23, I think KLS is 33 and Collier is 24, of course they are free to change their mind. Around senior night I think KML said she had to ask Maya's permission to wear 23, and she thinks the next one should have to ask her.

Also I think DT tried to choose zero originally and Geno talked her out of it.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the info. I was aware of the Maya/KML discussion over #23.

Reaction Score
No zero, no 1. No retired numbers. 1 and zero, you want to attract attention to yourself.If
UCONN retired all the AA's numbers they would run out of numbers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DT I think started by asking for #1 - Geno nixed that. Then she said, well, I'll have zero - Geno said no! Finally she settled on 3. As far as I know 0 and 1 are the only forbidden numbers. Basketball teams because they are limited to digits not greater than 5 do not tend to retire numbers (37 total with 0 and 00.) There are a few but very few that have ever been completely retired by college or pro teams.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score

They don't retire numbers as far as I know - some others on this Board know a lot more than I do, however.

Reaction Score
DUKE retired Alana Beard's number. Of course, that is all that have to hang their hat on.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Speaking of numbers...I read somewhere that B. Pulido has given up her #24 so Collier can wear it. It's the second year in a row she's given up her number (she gave up #11 for Nurse). Briana will be wearing #2 next season. Since both KLS and DJB wore #33 in HS...I wonder which one gets to keep that number...KLS might end up opting for the great #23 instead. She'd look good wearing that number and I'm pretty sure KML would approve.

Reaction Score
DT I think started by asking for #1 - Geno nixed that. Then she said, well, I'll have zero - Geno said no! Finally she settled on 3. As far as I know 0 and 1 are the only forbidden numbers. Basketball teams because they are limited to digits not greater than 5 do not tend to retire numbers (37 total with 0 and 00.) There are a few but very few that have ever been completely retired by college or pro teams.
The Boston Celtics have retired 21 numbers, 19 of them players. And the Lakers have retired 9 with Kobe Bryant coming soon. Not that uncommon for iconic teams.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Granted this pic is almost 15 years old (I was a YOUNG pup), I'm curious to see who will, if ever, wear the #21.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 80

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The Boston Celtics have retired 21 numbers, 19 of them players. And the Lakers have retired 9 with Kobe Bryant coming soon. Not that uncommon for iconic teams.

Pro teams have no restrictions on what numbers players can wear, unlike in college where each digit must be between zero and five, inclusive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff had number 21. To bad she didn't play too much.
Buck wore it for a couple years also. Until Greene left, then she switched to #32.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Granted this pic is almost 15 years old (I was a YOUNG pup), I'm curious to see who will, if ever, wear the #21.
You two could pass for sisters. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pro teams have no restrictions on what numbers players can wear, unlike in college where each digit must be between zero and five, inclusive.
e.g. Havlicek #17, Russell #6

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Speaking of numbers...I read somewhere that B. Pulido has given up her #24 so Collier can wear it. It's the second year in a row she's given up her number (she gave up #11 for Nurse). Briana will be wearing #2 next season. Since both KLS and DJB wore #33 in HS...I wonder which one gets to keep that number...KLS might end up opting for the great #23 instead. She'd look good wearing that number and I'm pretty sure KML would approve.
Cheers for Polly, as she will be setting the record for most numbers worn by a Husky. Her this year's number of 24 was also the one worn by Kerry Bascom, which remained unused after Kerry's senior year in 1991 until Charde Houston picked it up for 2004-2005 and the rest of her career.

0 and 1 are indeed the forbidden numbers unless perhaps a player comes in who can already rebound like Tina Charles, score like Maya Moore, block like Kiah Stokes, pass like Diana Taurasi, shoot 3's like Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, steal like Moriah Jefferson, shoot free throws like Sue Bird, set picks like Stef Dolson, shut down opponents like Kelly Faris, dominate like Breanna Stewart, dive for loose balls like Mel Thomas, intimidate like Rebecca Lobo, shoot layups like Tamika Williams, smile like Swin Cash, interview like Svetlana Abrosimova, and slap ten like Briana Pulido -- and even then Geno would make a player prove it all for three years before grudgingly allow them to let them declare themselves a 0 if they really need to.

The other numbers in the no-takers zone are the last three, 53, 54 and 55, which I guess no one wants because they're at the end. Even 52 was last worn way back in 1997 by Kara Wolters, though Kara would probably self-deprecatingly say that she put a jinx on it.

Reaction Score
Geno may keep numbers aside. He never allowed anyone to wear Rebecca's number. I think he planned to do the same with Diana Taurasi but Tiffany Hayes wanted it and Geno made her ask D who said it was okay. Has anyone worn Kerry Bascom's number?

Briana Pulido (2014-pres.)
Charde Houston (2004-2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member