I'm coming around to the new helmet | The Boneyard

I'm coming around to the new helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am actually coming around on the helmets. I am picturing 5 sets of those eyes lined up across the Oline. Will look badass once they are actually on the players and not just held off by themselves.

Reaction Score
yeah, they are growing on me too, slowly.

For the teams that look down their nose at us they will be reminded who it is they are chasing down the field with UCONN on the back of the helmet for them to admire the whole way! ;)

Reaction Score
The white version is probably the worst helmet I've ever seen. Including the various Maryland versions. Might as well just spilled blue paint on white helmets. The blue is merely hideous. And what is unbelievable to me is that Nike clearly designed the helmet then came up with a logo to fit their helmet concept rather than the other way around. Talk about wag the dog...Nike wanted to come up with an arena football style helmet and they took advantage of UConn's relatively weak position to push them toward accepting something really dopey.

Reaction Score
Free - Why do you still follow UConn if all you are going to do is bash everything that is going on? Don't you have better things to do then to just be so negative and defensive on a message board?

It's his "thing"

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
No s***.

What a raging - probably time that he realizes that he's simply not a UConn fan.

Can't you just change the line under his name to UNpopular poster?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If you really think that UConn had to bend over and take the helmets that Nike was supposedly forcing them to... Well there's no hope for you. At all. Just give up and move on.

Reaction Score
Free - Why do you still follow UConn if all you are going to do is bash everything that is going on? Don't you have better things to do then to just be so negative and defensive on a message board?
I'm a UConn alumnus, a former athlete and a huge fan. I just hate the direction the program is going now. Absolutely hate it. We're on a collision course with disaster and this is just another step. I just think there is so much small time thinking in the current athletic department it is frightening. With the exception of hockey, and possibly baseball, every program is taking a huge step back. it is no secret I think we made a huge mistake on the basketball coaching front. We needed a big name given where we are likely headed. At best, we can say that it is too soon to tell about Ollie. He did a better job than I expected, but i don't drink the kool aid yet. The world is full of 1 year wonders. then we needlessly turn our back on 50-75 years of tradition because Nike designed a football helmet that looks, frankly, like something from the XFL or the Arena league. So we replace our iconic symbol with a clip art piece. And Don't give me any crap about Geno's comment. he has had a huge deal with Nike, not sure if it is still in place. But if they replaced the logo with a pile of dog he'd be gushing over it. Every where I look I see an athletic program hell bent on attaining mid-major status. And given that in college sports you are what your league says your are, it doesn't look good. Given the garbage, unneccessary "rebranding" it seems we're perfectly happy to be there. I think Susan herbst has a vision for the academic side of the university which is first rate. And that's great. But she has a much more modest one for athletics, and Warde Manuel, whom I actually like, has absolutely none. He's a paper pusher of Hathawayan proportions. Hell, half the teams already used UConn on some or all uniforms, or they had in the very recent past. Just put them on the others. It isn't that difficult.

Nike had this "logo front" design that they were trying to pawn off on a number of schools. I saw one for Cal somewhere and one for another school, can't recall now who, last year. I suspect there were a few others. Nobody else bit. UConn did. But when you have a program that is despaerate for money, desperate for any recognition, you'll do anything. Very very frustrating. Though in a way it is understandable. UConn has maybe 2-5 years to get out of this steaming pile of a league. if we don't, I suspect that it will be our future. Once the new playoff system gets established, we'll be left so far behind we might as well be in D-3.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn alumnus, a former athlete and a huge fan. I just hate the direction the program is going now. Absolutely hate it. We're on a collision course with disaster and this is just another step. I just think there is so much small time thinking in the current athletic department it is frightening. With the exception of hockey, and possibly baseball, every program is taking a huge step back. it is no secret I think we made a huge mistake on the basketball coaching front. We needed a big name given where we are likely headed. At best, we can say that it is too soon to tell about Ollie. He did a better job than I expected, but i don't drink the kool aid yet. The world is full of 1 year wonders. then we needlessly turn our back on 50-75 years of tradition because Nike designed a football helmet that looks, frankly, like something from the XFL or the Arena league. So we replace our iconic symbol with a clip art piece. And Don't give me any crap about Geno's comment. he has had a huge deal with Nike, not sure if it is still in place. But if they replaced the logo with a pile of dog he'd be gushing over it. Every where I look I see an athletic program hell bent on attaining mid-major status. And given that in college sports you are what your league says your are, it doesn't look good. Given the garbage, unneccessary "rebranding" it seems we're perfectly happy to be there. I think Susan herbst has a vision for the academic side of the university which is first rate. And that's great. But she has a much more modest one for athletics, and Warde Manuel, whom I actually like, has absolutely none. He's a paper pusher of Hathawayan proportions. Hell, half the teams already used UConn on some or all uniforms, or they had in the very recent past. Just put them on the others. It isn't that difficult.

Nike had this "logo front" design that they were trying to pawn off on a number of schools. I saw one for Cal somewhere and one for another school, can't recall now who, last year. I suspect there were a few others. Nobody else bit. UConn did. But when you have a program that is despaerate for money, desperate for any recognition, you'll do anything. Very very frustrating. Though in a way it is understandable. UConn has maybe 2-5 years to get out of this steaming pile of a league. if we don't, I suspect that it will be our future. Once the new playoff system gets established, we'll be left so far behind we might as well be in D-3.

There's 1 or 2 things in here that I agree with. But the other 90% of the post is a huge steaming pile of dogsh!t.

Reaction Score
I think you would be in the minority in most of your rant, couple of good points, but for the most part it screams of someone who has no clue but thinks he does. You're acting like the spoiled child who refuses to see anything beyond the tip of his nose regardless of the facts.

Cases in point; you hated the basketball hire yet Ollie produced, so how do you justify it...yeah but can he maintain it?

UCONN is already used by half the teams so just put them on the others. :confused: what do you think they did? and you still beech about it.

take a step back, it's not the drama you (and some others) make it to be.

Reaction Score
Nike had this "logo front" design that they were trying to pawn off on a number of schools. I saw one for Cal somewhere and one for another school, can't recall now who, last year. I suspect there were a few others. Nobody else bit. UConn did.

You base a lot of your argument on the voices in your head, eh?

Reaction Score

It is amazing how each human mind works in completely different ways. Literally, almost every single thing you wrote here has been proven false by objective data or facts (clip art, basketball taking a step back and Ollie not being the right coach, re-branding being unnecessary), yet you just ignore the facts presented to you and continue to spew blatantly misguided opinions as facts. It's astonishing. I feel bad that you have to live your life like this. You are either A)Doing this to get a rise out of people for your own enjoyment or, much less likely, B) Actually continue to believe the things you say. Either way, it is a terrible way to have to go through life.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn alumnus, a former athlete and a huge fan. I just hate the direction the program is going now. Absolutely hate it. We're on a collision course with disaster and this is just another step. I just think there is so much small time thinking in the current athletic department it is frightening. With the exception of hockey, and possibly baseball, every program is taking a huge step back. it is no secret I think we made a huge mistake on the basketball coaching front. We needed a big name given where we are likely headed. At best, we can say that it is too soon to tell about Ollie. He did a better job than I expected, but i don't drink the kool aid yet. The world is full of 1 year wonders.

The fact you still think Ollie is a major mistake of a hire shows that you do not have the ability to change your opinion when things change. You seem to make up your mind and then stick to it regardless of obvious information otherwise. I am guessing you were first to bash the Ollie hire so you will stick to this belief even though Ollie has done nothing but prove to be a major asset to our university. He went through arguably the best conference in the country and get 10 wins in his first year going up against the likes of Pitino/Boheim/Thompson etc. His first year having full control he was over 20 wins and 10 conference wins with a team that had nothing to play for. Now he has landed a transfer from a top 20 recruit and I bet he lands a couple solid kids now that he has a true contract and secure deal to lean on. I am amazed you cant get behind Ollie of all people.

then we needlessly turn our back on 50-75 years of tradition because Nike designed a football helmet that looks, frankly, like something from the XFL or the Arena league. So we replace our iconic symbol with a clip art piece.

I think you need to realize that outside of CT and UConn alumni the old logo is really not that iconic. Teams change their logos all the time. Also you are on a football board talking about 50-75 years of tradition. Last I checked UConn has about 10 years of D1 tradition. Alabama has probably been in more championship games then we have played seasons in D1. So to think there is this amazing tradition that we are turning our back on is crazy. We are a new kid on the block and any way that we can bring attention to our program and make us seem like a place recruits want to be is huge. We are in no position to sit on our "tradition" and expect that we become one of the big boys.

And Don't give me any crap about Geno's comment. he has had a huge deal with Nike, not sure if it is still in place. But if they replaced the logo with a pile of dog he'd be gushing over it. Every where I look I see an athletic program hell bent on attaining mid-major status. And given that in college sports you are what your league says your are, it doesn't look good. Given the garbage, unneccessary "rebranding" it seems we're perfectly happy to be there. I think Susan herbst has a vision for the academic side of the university which is first rate. And that's great. But she has a much more modest one for athletics, and Warde Manuel, whom I actually like, has absolutely none. He's a paper pusher of Hathawayan proportions.

Where do I begin with this steaming pile. I actually agree with you on the coaches comments, they are obviously going to toe the line and say the right things. The mid major status really just cracks me up. The prior administration has led us to this precarious position of "mid major" status. Hatheway/Austin/Hogan combo did nothing for UConn. Herbst and WM have done more in their 18 months or so for this school then those 3 ever thought of. To think Herbst doesn't understand the importance of major athletics to a big university is asinine. She ran the entire Georgia University system so wouldnt you think she has some exposure to the benefits of major athletics? We all know WM is a Michigan grad and do you really think he is not modeling us like their AD? You finish this rant off by making the point of why the rebranding was done.

Hell, half the teams already used UConn on some or all uniforms, or they had in the very recent past. Just put them on the others. It isn't that difficult.

I can say I completely agree with you on this point because its exactly why we rebranded. Our AD was out of sync and each team was using its own logo and team name. We now have a single identity for our school and all our teams will be under the same brand.

Reaction Score
You base a lot of your argument on the voices in your head, eh?
LOL! At least I don't have two sets of eyes.

I hope, too, that at a minimum, these are just mockups and the final version is better. maybe its the lighting, but it looks like none of the colors match. T
I wish I had the energy to formulate a proper response but my thesis writing days are over. We can't argue that the mish-mash of teams in the AAC is not ideal long-term for UConn, but I think we can all agree that realignment is far from over. I don't think anyone is anointing Warde as a the savior and claiming he is a genius, and regardless of everything else, it flat-out depends on whether he can get us into a better conference (and he has to hire a new football coach, assuming the inevitable). I think it is fair to judge Warde on those two things

Now with that said, how can you say every team has taken a step back (putting aside the conference situation):

Football: Still state of the art facility, good out-of-conference opponents.
MBB: Up-and-coming coach that the fanbase loves, state of the art facility by Summer 2014, Top 25 team next year
WBB: Set-up to win 3 more National Championships, state of the art facility
Hockey: Hockey East bound (which you acknowledged)
Baseball: Solid (again you acknowledged), plans for facility upgrades (granted those are years away)
Men's Soccer: Perennial Top 25 program, plans for new facility (also years away)
Lacrosse: Yes, I'm reaching, but they are having the best season in their history.

So you hate the logo, so UConn is going to turn into Manchester Community College? Okay got it. I'm all for criticizing UConn and the new logo, even though I like it, but I just don't understand the overwhelming negativity.

//End thesis
Ok Warde. Now here's the reality Football: No access to the future playoffs. Solid non-conferences schedule. Mid-major conference schedule against teams nobody cares about.
Mens basketball: A future of playing home and homes with the likes of Tulane (last NCAA appearance 1995), SMU(1993), Houston (2010, 1992 before that), Central florida (2005). A question mark for a coach.
Womens basketball. Probably will be good for a while yet. Longer term it is tougher to predict, but as more and more major programs take this seriously it gets tougher for mid-majors to succeed. You no loger see 2 time national champion Louisiana Tech, or former champ Old Dominion even on the radar any more. If we start to slip it could be a long slow fall.
Baseball: Could actually benefit.
Hockey: Will be in the top conference in the country
Mens Soccer: Who knows? Don't even know who will be in the league, but we'll probably be fine or which of the CUSA transfers even had teams. Maybe a small step back but mid-majors can succeed.

But here's the thing The dog faces are a different blue than the helmet and the facemask. It might just be that they just threw together a concept and they'll work out that detail. Or it might be that the lighting/internet reproductions cause some blues to be washed out. If not, yet another piece of poor quality workmanship in an overall bad effort.

Reaction Score
It is amazing how each human mind works in completely different ways. Literally, almost every single thing you wrote here has been proven false by objective data or facts (clip art, basketball taking a step back and Ollie not being the right coach, re-branding being unnecessary), yet you just ignore the facts presented to you and continue to spew blatantly misguided opinions as facts. It's astonishing. I feel bad that you have to live your life like this. You are either A)Doing this to get a rise out of people for your own enjoyment or, much less likely, B) Actually continue to believe the things you say. Either way, it is a terrible way to have to go through life.
Your opinion is not "objective data or facts."

Reaction Score

shut up

Reaction Score
the fundamental point is that UConn basically has 2-5 years to escape this steaming pile of a league. If we don't we will be forever relegated to being an afterthought. We win the odd soccer championship or something that's nice. And quite honestly, if we win a few more womens basketball titles, that's good too. But really, nobody outside Connecticut really cares. if we're still in the AAC or some variant in 5 years, the players can wear live huskies on their heads for all anyone will care about UConn athletics. But hey, I'm sure Warde got a nice tan in Paradise...

Reaction Score
the fundamental point is that UConn basically has 2-5 years to escape this steaming pile of a league. If we don't we will be forever relegated to being an afterthought. We win the odd soccer championship or something that's nice. And quite honestly, if we win a few more womens basketball titles, that's good too. But really, nobody outside Connecticut really cares. if we're still in the AAC or some variant in 5 years, the players can wear live huskies on their heads for all anyone will care about UConn athletics. But hey, I'm sure Warde got a nice tan in Paradise...
Being inside your head must get really depressing.

Reaction Score

You're right. The end is nigh. You should probably prepare by shutting up.

Reaction Score
And I said that Conference Realignment is squarely on his shoulders now, and I asked for you to put that aside and evaluate our programs, which of course you didn't.

Once again, the issue with helmets is that the helmet has a matte finish but the decal is shiny. To be clear, it is the SAME BLUE, it just looks weird because of the different materials used. Like I've said, I like the design, but execution is a little off.
Well we agree that execution is off. that is a starting point, I guess. Of course I evaluated each program. Baseball will probably benefit. Football is stuck with 8 games nobody will care about. Baksetball is stuck with probably 12 games that nobody will care about. they play those now, but the difference is they'll be league games. The problem is not 2013-14. We could well start the season in the top 25 in basketball. maybe even end there. The problem is we're on a downward spiral. Replace Georgetown, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Marquette, Villanova with Central Florida, Tulane, SMU, Houston, and assorted other crapola in basketball, and Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt with the same dregs of college football in football. But hey, our new logo looks like a husky. We needed a consistent look across teams. Though why that required a new logo has yet to be explained. The only thing that required the Donald logo was the football helmet. Evry single other change could have been made by simply deciding to use UCONN in a standard format as opposed to Connecticut or one of the other team logos. Every single one. this was small time, poorly executed and designed to keep Nike happy because they wanted someone to use the dopey eyes front logo that others had rejected. It would be nice if Manuel stopped acting like the fans are fools and just admitted as much. "I got 300 letters opposing the new logo and none from people who like it, so that means most people like it!" he probably thinks Mitt Romney is President, too. After all, he got fewer votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom