If you aren't thrilled with Edsall | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you aren't thrilled with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I guess we got an idiot for AD...I thought he would hire someone better, but as usual, I guess my school is run by moron and clueless people.
Uh....hello.....McFly....even the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses aren't knocking on this door.

Reaction Score
I'm in the not thrilled camp. I think he's a good coach and appreciate his track record with us. Like others hated the way he ran away. For that alone I wouldn't have hired him no matter the price.

The only thing I can't believe is that this was supposed to be DB signature hire and he brings back HCRE.
Agree. This is the best that Benedict and the state could come up with? Nothing screams small time like hiring back a guy that bailed on you then failed on the stage you are trying to get to. Very disappointing. :(

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Three out of four of those schools reside in Florida. Not impressed with the non Florida hire but at least he has a decent base to recruit from.

And we have more $$$$ than all of them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Bigger names perhaps, but what says these guys would have been better choices for us?

Nothing. But that wasn't the argument I was responding to. The post I responded to simply said it's hard for non-Power 5 schools to hire big names.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering how severely hamstrung DB was, this was actually a reasonable outcome. Another year of Diaco, being fully aware that Diaco was not about to accept advice from a quality offensive mind would have been a bigger disaster than anything we've seen to date (not that we had been strangers to disastrous football seasons recently).

At the moment I'm looking at RE as a stepping stone coach. He can bring us to respectability and then we go after the guy who can kick it up a level or two.

Reaction Score
I'm def in the "not thrilled" camp. Mostly because I really thought we had a shot to get a proven guy in here to build on like a Schiano or Golden, or heck, even Miles (maybe a strech, but you get the idea...).

Here's my view on this. Schiano and Golden are basically .500 coaches. So was Edsall. But he did what he did HERE, so we know he can do it HERE. You could argue that Schiano would be an upgrade, but I'm not sure Golden is. But I don't think it is obvious that they would do better than Randy would.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
H
Here's my view on this. Schiano and Golden are basically .500 coaches. So was Edsall. But he did what he did HERE, so we know he can do it HERE. You could argue that Schiano would be an upgrade, but I'm not sure Golden is. But I don't think it is obvious that they would do better than Randy would.
The only possible advantage to bringing in Schiano or Golden over Edsall is that either would be something new. There are no guarantees that something new would be better. Additionally, among the last things we need is for a coach who had built one of our geographic competitors into something solid (from a position as bad as, if not worse than where we are) to fail here and then state how difficult it is to succeed here.

Reaction Score
Hope he gets more out of the likes of Carezolla and Stapleton. I liked Randy's DEs.

Reaction Score
Freed of Jeff hathaways shackles I expect randy to fly like an eagle. To the sea. And we'll all embrace the randy first down dance like it was the nene. And we will dance. And sing.
This is what I'm banking on... our AD Dept is in better shape now...we've developed some competency in that area when it comes to FBS football. UConn's a beautiful campus with plenty to offer to high level recruits.. even in football... Hopefully Coach Edsall knows what Diaco never did...play with a sense of urgency when it counts....it definitely counts behind the scenes, but from year to year, the scene has to show a light to greener pastures.. In Edsall, we trust (again)....

Reaction Score
Agree. This is the best that Benedict and the state could come up with? Nothing screams small time like hiring back a guy that bailed on you then failed on the stage you are trying to get to. Very disappointing. :(

That's not demonstrably false. It screams small time far, far less than keeping a coach who failed as miserably as Diaco (or P before him) would have. Now please go away.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning excited for football. My god we have an adult running the program again. An actual adult. Can't wait to hear about the coaching staff he has assembled.

Reaction Score
Considering how severely hamstrung DB was, this was actually a reasonable outcome. Another year of Diaco, being fully aware that Diaco was not about to accept advice from a quality offensive mind would have been a bigger disaster than anything we've seen to date (not that we had been strangers to disastrous football seasons recently).

This is pretty much where I am. Given the buyout owed to Harold Hill, $1M/year to a guy who has won here is probably the best play available to DB. I accept why DB did it, but am not doing cartwheels.

Reaction Score
UConn pays less and gets an upgrade. What possibly can be a better deal or hire? If RE is not a substantial upgrade over PP and BD then insanity is the norm. 6 years of FB hell. Get over the past and move on!!!! Enough with all the apologies BS!!!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A beat down on Holy Cross? How small time of you and your "liked" friends. A beat down on Missouri and BC next season and I'll be ok with Edsall.

As opposed to losing to Towson, like your buddy PP? Or tepid wins over Villanova and Maine like Diaco?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's not demonstrably false. It screams small time far, far less than keeping a coach who failed as miserably as Diaco (or P before him) would have. Now please go away.

But those aren't the choices we are talking about here. I do not like this hire. But I am positive that Edsall will be better next year than Diaco would have been. Being competent on game day coaching alone would have have won even this year's team 2 more games. I think the players are there for him to win 6-7 games.

I don't believe that this was the best we could do. I don't think he was the best choice to lead this football program. If he was, if literally nobody else who was mentioned was a possibility, then it was the right move. But damn, that's sad as hell, and even more depressing. That said, I want him to prove me wrong and be fantastic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are a tough sale right now for a quality guy. We are a G5 program, in a poor recruiting area, with a smallish stadium a half hour away from campus that hasn't had a winning season in 6 years. We weren't going to hit a home run with this hire. Randy gets a runner on base and winning seasons advance the runner. We are getting his services dirt cheap in a time that we are tight on funds. The more I think about it the more I realize this was a smart hire by Benedict, if not an exciting one. After a few seasons of competent football we can revisit whether we need a upgrade, but job 1 is stopping the bleeding, and Randy does that.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We are a tough sale right now for a quality guy. We are a G5 program, in a poor recruiting area, with a smallish stadium a half hour away from campus that hasn't had a winning season in 6 years. We weren't going to hit a home run with this hire. Randy gets a runner a base and winning seasons advance the runner. We are getting his services dirt cheap in a time that we are tight on funds. The more I think about it the more I realize this was a smart hire by Benedict, if not an exciting one. After a few seasons of competent football we can revisit whether we need a upgrade, but job 1 is stopping the bleeding, and Randy does that.

I'm coming around to this, even if it does nothing to eliminate my disappointment that we couldn't land a bigger fish.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, the admissions standards will be loosened up a bit.
Not sure why there ARE admissions standards for football players. Are they not an anachronism? This is entertainment purely and simply and college ball is simply a farm league for the pros. If they want an education, let them get one for free. If they don't, why even force them to go to class or live on campus?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The former players are thrilled and enough of the current squad seem excited about it. That should be enough for fans to let it go until the games are played.

I care more about UConn winning FB games than I do about rehashing RE's departure or whether he can do as well or better this time. My official position is to worry about the first thing and not think about the rest.

I am willing to fight anyone dissing the Block C though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom