If you aren't thrilled with Edsall | The Boneyard

If you aren't thrilled with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why was I expecting a punchline like "you kick puppies for laughs"?

Reaction Score
I guess we got an idiot for AD...I thought he would hire someone better, but as usual, I guess my school is run by moron and clueless people.

Reaction Score
I wasn't thrilled when Edsall was named a candidate, but given the alternative, I think he was the best option. I've come around to the hire and I'm curious to see what the staff will look like. To be honest if 7-5 is the ceiling with Edsall over the next three years and UConn wins a few bowl games, it's better then watching Captain Crimson lose winnable games. I just hope the head coach in waiting, is hired to be part of the staff.

Reaction Score
I wasn't thrilled when Edsall was named a candidate, but given the alternative, I think he was the best option. I've come around to the hire and I'm curious to see what the staff will look like. To be honest if 7-5 is the ceiling with Edsall over the next three years and UConn wins a few bowl games, it's better then watching Captain Crimson lose winnable games. I just hope the head coach in waiting, is hired to be part of the staff.
Even if he isn't...with that kind of record when the job is open again and guys like Moorehead or Orlando..even a Rhett Lashlee are approached Benedict (if he is still here) won't hear dead air on the other end of the line.

Reaction Score
OP is spot on, for those that thought P was the worst thing to happen to UCONN, Diaco was 10 times as bad. P landed some decent players and could run a game day as if it was his 1st game ever every week.

Diaco being gone is good enough. On the road back to competency is good enough for now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Edsall will be really good for Arkeel.

Reaction Score
Nobody likes the way he left. I'm sure he knows that. But he spent 11 years bringing UConn from FCS (or whatever it was called then) to a BCS bowl faster than almost any program in the country. I'm just hoping he can turn this mess around. Starting from nothing and starting from a bad situation are two different things.

As far as his abrupt departure, I think we all have to just get over it.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'm def in the "not thrilled" camp. Mostly because I really thought we had a shot to get a proven guy in here to build on like a Schiano or Golden, or heck, even Miles (maybe a strech, but you get the idea...). What I'm most disappointed in is that this was the best we could do. Like I get why (if its true) that Moorhead and Orlando, if both offered, would have not been interested in the gig. Todd Orlando will have 10x the exposure for bigger P5 jobs in the future if he stays the course and rebuilds Texas w/ Tom Herman. And Moorhead- he's holding out for a stellar 2017 running the Penn State offense in the hopes a big P5 job comes calling. Can't blame either of them really.

I guess seeing a school like FAU get Lane Kiffin for the same amount as we got back Randy Edsall- which feels more like doing him a favor than us, just got my hopes up that UConn was a job guys would want. I know after PP and Diaco this place is more of a rebuild than even I sometimes see it.

On the bright side, we do have a guy who at one time brought us to 5 bowl games, including a NY6 bowl, and helped get 20+ kids to the NFL from little old Connecticut. If I remember Randy Edsall post the Notre Dame win, or after we won at South Florida (via Dave Taggerts leg) it does feel a little more "ok". Also, I like all the positive tweets I've seen from NFL alum and former players- we'll need them all big time in the future for recruiting and building tradition here at UConn- something I think Diaco didn't embrace because of Edsall and the program (and us fans) suffered.

It will be interesting to see what Friday's press conference will be like. That's for sure. I'll miss Diaco's pressers and rediculous swagger. What I won't miss is his game management and losing. I wish Coach Diaco the best- I'm sure he'll be back coaching defense for Brian Kelly at ND in 2017, but I'm glad we can get a fresh start again with a familiar face.

No one knows UConn and how to recruit at a place like this better than Randy. No one. Partially its because he was the architect that built the program. A lot has changed in college football at UConn in the last six years, and Randy will have to prepare himself for that. We haven't had a sell out since 2013 (Michigan) and before that it wasn't since he was coaching here. Conference realignment has screwed over UConn worse than any school in the country, and Randy will have to face recruiting challenges because of that too. Those are the scary parts to me. I think think given all that, and the hire, we'll have season ticket holders back renewing next year and some added wins and excitement breathed back into those steel bleacher at The Rent.

Reaction Score
Gonna wait until the Blue-White game before I re-up on the tix. Might do hockey instead next year. But right now just waiting and seeing. If he brings in Dan-O to coach the QB's and a good staff, I will be fine with it. We will see.

Oh, and I forgot one little item. If he somehow manages to bring back the Block C, I will be even more favorably disposed.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Well when I heard Adams was out I did call my bookie to ask what the max I could get down on Houston was....
Don't go Pete Rose on us.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
One thing nobody seems to get is that it would be really hard to recruit a big name to a non-P5 school.

Reaction Score
Under the circumstances Edsall is a known commodity. He got us there once, he was a good recruter and a decent coach. He left because he didn't get along with the AD. Shortly after he left the AD was fired proving Edsall was right I look forward to see him in charge. I am back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom