If you are rooting against ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you are rooting against ESPN

Reaction Score
I have Comcast cable and internet...and have Direct TV and cable internet.... two houses (Fla and NC)....with my TV, internet, and Verizon phones...it comes to $550 month.

I would be a guy who unbundles if I could still get what I want.
You should at least get an honorary brick or mouse ears at Disney World.

Reaction Score
So what's the loss rate for the B1G channel, SEC channel and others. They have to be feeling some pain too.

Probably not as much. Most of the cord-cutters were only paying for basic tiers of cable anyhow. Those sports channels, in most places, were on an expanded basic package. So while I'm sure they've lost some subscribers, it's probably not as bad as the channels that were exclusively on basic cable everywhere.

The ESPN thing is a little overblown, not that it isn't hurting the bottom line, but so many people have access to Watch ESPN with their ISP now, and ESPN is being paid by ISPs for that access, so cord-cutters are still watching ESPN if they were watching it to begin with.

Reaction Score

There's more from SBJ/SBD but behind a solid paywall for now:

>>ESPN Critical Of Nielsen After Company Decides Against Adjusting November Data - Published November 7, 2016
Nielsen on Friday said that it will not revise data that showed ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU for November lost more than 600,000 homes from its distribution footprint last month. Nielsen originally released the subscriber numbers late last month, but pulled them last weekend after ESPN complained...<<

Reaction Score
It would be nice if ESPiN and ACC go down together. If there is a way for CT residents to boycott ESPiN due to our current realignment situation, it would be great.

I'm doing as you suggested. I've canceled my ESPN subscriptions. When I called to cancel and they ask why, I told them it was due to us being left out of the current conference realignment, and because of the restrictive College Football Championship format. I said when these change I will come back. If enough of us do this it will make a difference.

Reaction Score

There's more from SBJ/SBD but behind a solid paywall for now:

>>ESPN Critical Of Nielsen After Company Decides Against Adjusting November Data - Published November 7, 2016
Nielsen on Friday said that it will not revise data that showed ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU for November lost more than 600,000 homes from its distribution footprint last month. Nielsen originally released the subscriber numbers late last month, but pulled them last weekend after ESPN complained...<<

Nielsen Reconfirms Dreary Cable Universe Numbers After ESPN Complaint

Reaction Score
ESPN Is Hemorrhaging Subscribers And Pretending It Doesn't Matter

espn.png

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I cancelled DirecTV with ESPN,etc... I have PlayStation Vue now and pay at least $60 less per month and still have ESPN, etc. It wasn't the programming cost specifically, but those are lower, that were annoying me it was the myriad other fees and box rentals that DirecTV and cable companies end up charging. I added Netflix, Husky Access, and I'm still paying less than I was with DirecTV and only lost a little bit of content... and in terms of total content it was a net gain for far less money.

Reaction Score
As ESPN moves to digital streaming and subscription services...it could change the model of how sports content is purchased....limited bundles...conference specific bundles, sports specific bundles...who knows?

"ESPN’s goal with the new service is to convince fans who currently do not have to a cable package to purchase a sports streaming standalone service. This idea reflects those of other streaming services that offer programming you can get on TV, such as HBO Now and Hulu. With this business model, ESPN may effectively make people switch directly from their cable bundle to streaming."

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for live sporting events, I would never even turn the clicker to ESPN, once they were bought up by Disney it was the beginning of the end.... I literally can't stand most of their personalities they have on tv today.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1.9 BILLION for Monday Night Football?!? Just wow.

And 1.47 BILLION for the NBA? Sweet Jesus.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for live sporting events, I would never even turn the clicker to ESPN, once they were bought up by Disney it was the beginning of the end.... I literally can't stand most of their personalities they have on tv today.
Truth. ESPN shows have raised banality and braying to art forms. Moronic, unwatchable stuff.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone tried VUE that can give a review?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
A year ago espn was paying the bills at Disney, fast forward a year and they're a drag on the company stock? This happened mighty fast. Cord cutting is realer, than anyone could have imagined.
I find that article a little deceiving. Iger dismissed the idea (admittedly may be meaningless but it's the only actual news in the article), but a few market analysts are suggesting that a split might sort of be a good idea for the mouse. It's an opinion piece derived from other op-ed's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom