If we decide to hire from FCS... | The Boneyard

If we decide to hire from FCS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One name I really like is Beau Baldwin: Head Coach Eastern Washington. Great record, nearly 10 years of Head Coaching experience. I really thought he would of gotten serious consideration for the Oregon Job.

I know he has no ties to the area, but I kind of like that.

Thoughts???

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In the interview process I'd want to hear the FCS coach talk about how excited he is to be able to show his talents with the resources UConn has going for it. For many of the P5 coordinators UConn is a play to try and do more with less.

For an FCS coach, having the max scholarship limit, a full coaching staff, practice and conditioning facilities, academic support, etc are all areas FCS coaches have to do without or in limited quantities. I want to hear the candidate talk about doing more with more.

Reaction Score
One name I really like is Beau Baldwin: Head Coach Eastern Washington. Great record, nearly 10 years of Head Coaching experience. I really thought he would of gotten serious consideration for the Oregon Job.

I know he has no ties to the area, but I kind of like that.

Thoughts???

I thought of him about a month ago. Impressive resume but unfortunately he has no ties to the half of the country.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Geography, while not the end all be all, is a factor in college FB.

In BB you can recruit kids from all over at regional showcases and on AAU circuits.

In FB, the bulk of your roster is going to come from referrals from HD coaches and seeing with your own eyes. It's cheaper and easier to maintain these relationships if they are close to you or easily reachable. Recruiting the west coast consistently would be a hinderence. Having a guy that can pluck a key guy here and there from a non-traditional area while relying on the historic areas is a plus.

The other downside is parents and actually getting the kids to commit. Most parents and recruit's prefer being closer to home so they can go to games. A parent in an AAC market can see their kid play at least 7-8 times without numerous long road trips. A kid in Washington or Oregon, zero.

So it matters some.

Reaction Score
Give me one of these FCS guys with 1) northeast and mid-atlantic ties, 2) at least a few years as HC in a successful program and 3) a big-time focus on scoring points.

Reaction Score
Not bad, less $$ and more $$ for top quality assistants

Give me one of these FCS guys with 1) northeast and mid-atlantic ties, 2) at least a few years as HC in a successful program and 3) a big-time focus on scoring points.

Reaction Score
I thought of him about a month ago. Impressive resume but unfortunately he has no ties to the half of the country.
That's probably his issue with an opportunity in Storrs CT... we'd be better off looking on the East Coast for a FCS coach with a ton of success.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A championship FCS coach with east coast ties might be our best case. I'd be good with that, so long as the guy isn't a one recruiting cycle wonder.

I also don't care how we win. Losing games 45-42 isn't all that much better than losing them 20-13 or even 30-3. The novelty wears off quickly.

My advice to DB is to go find your guy like Lew did with Edsall. I don't need to know who he is, just that he is the right coach for UConn. Be extra critical of guys you already "know" or the hot guy at the moment. Most of those are making it on circumstances they had little to do with.

Reaction Score
KC Keeler fits this perfectly. Was hc at delaware. Currently at Sam Houston State. Great recruiter and puts up ton of points. Runs super uptempo offense.

Reaction Score
Not going to be an fcs guy if Benedict has him already, as the rumor mill claims.

Reaction Score
Also it is really hard to evaluate those guys. Land a couple of 1A backups and suddenly you can do great things. Miss out and you are 3-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom