IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 12 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was the UConn-ND women's game I believe, right? I think it preceded the Pac 12 Championship USC-Stanford football game, so that was part of it.

Still impressive, people didn't have to watch, but there's some context for you.

Aha, didn't realize that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was the UConn-ND women's game I believe, right? I think it preceded the Pac 12 Championship USC-Stanford football game, so that was part of it.

Still impressive, people didn't have to watch, but there's some context for you.
I don't think there was that much of a spillover effect. If our game came after, I would say yes.

Reaction Score
I don't think there was that much of a spillover effect. If our game came after, I would say yes.

You've never tuned into ESPN to watch a game 20-30 minutes early and left the previous contest on?

Reaction Score
You've never tuned into ESPN to watch a game 20-30 minutes early and left the previous contest on?

That's not how ratings work.

Ratings require the user to log what they are watching.

There is no device thingamajigee that tracks your TV usage. When Nielsen requests you to track for them, they send you a $5 bill in the mail and ask that you sign on and keep a log. So you enter what you watch.

Reaction Score

There is no device thingamajigee that tracks your TV usage. When Nielsen requests you to track for them, they send you a $5 bill in the mail and ask that you sign on and keep a log. So you enter what you watch.

Right, my understanding was the logs went by hour. So for instance if I want to watch the Pac 12 Title game at 8 p.m. and I flip over to ESPN at 7 p.m. and catch the end of the UConn-ND game, I have to log that. That one hour then is incorporated into the larger broadcast number.

Reaction Score
Right, my understanding was the logs went by hour. So for instance if I want to watch the Pac 12 Title game at 8 p.m. and I flip over to ESPN at 7 p.m. and catch the end of the UConn-ND game, I have to log that. That one hour then is incorporated into the larger broadcast number.

Yes, if you're being that fussy about it. Since it's on the honesty system, maybe people are. I thought I was being honest too when I logged ONLY what I was watching, NOT what the TV is on. After all, it defeats the purpose of logging it if you're not watching it. What the TV is turned to should be irrelevant. The key question is, what are you watching?

Reaction Score
Yes, if you're being that fussy about it. Since it's on the honesty system, maybe people are. I thought I was being honest too when I logged ONLY what I was watching, NOT what the TV is on. After all, it defeats the purpose of logging it if you're not watching it. What the TV is turned to should be irrelevant. The key question is, what are you watching?

Sorry, wasn't implying that they TV was just on in the background. Just that they turned it on because they knew the game was coming up and that they got hooked on Women's game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
6 months later, here we are. Go time.

The Big 12 wants to expand, and there is some major muscle in the conference behind expansion. The desire for a Big 12 Network is a major driver for expansion, and the last obstacle is Texas' desire to wait for the outcome of the 10 Team Amendment. The Big 12's amendment appears dead on arrival unless Delaney is appeased somehow, which he won't be. There is no way the vote goes against Delaney. He wouldn't have said anything unless he knew he had already blocked it. We don't know if Texas will continue to block expansion regardless of the outcome of the vote.

I agree with others that BYU appears to be out of the picture based on Mendenhall taking a dead-end Virginia job. If he thought there was any realistic chance of BYU getting into a major conference, he would have waited a year. Virginia is where coaches go to finish their careers early.

That leaves us in a face-off with Cincinnati and Houston. Cincinnati seems like a lock, which means Houston vs. UConn, mano y mano. We are not a lock by any means, but I like our odds. It is up to Herbst and Manuel to close the deal.

It also appears that Herbst may be getting a helping hand from the media. There are major sports reporters running with this story, not just basement dwelling, twitter freaks from Appalachia and the northern prairie. Raising UConn's profile with the media helps us out with the Big 12 Presidents, who will feel at least a little pressure to take the best academic school of the options.

More importantly, the open discussion of UConn to the Big 12 must be causing some phones to ring around Tobacco Road. Any hope of an ACC network requires a major NYC presence, and if the Big 12 adds UConn, NYC becomes a 3 conference town. The ACC has a spot for us and we know there is support among many in the league, with our biggest opponents at BCU having retired. The ACC knows it has to add us before the Big 12 does, because the Big 12 offer will most likely be exploding. We will find out real soon if A) there is any real meat behind these rumors and B) whether UConn has enough support in the ACC for an invitation. If either A or B are true, failure is not an option.

The original premise of this thread is still stupid, despite this update.

What it really should read:
A) IF the B12 expands, and if Herbst, WM, or anyone else manages to overcome the massive headwinds (mostly geographical) and get an invite, they should have a statue of them placed next to the Storrs brothers.
B) IF not, we're screwed, but it's not necessarily a dereliction of duty.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Those days are long over.

It's automated now.

How do you think they get overnights? People fax in their logs?

Reaction Score
Maybe when I was younger, and could devote whole blocks of a day to sports. I can't even watch every Pats game on Sundays. Sports once you have kids become appointment TV.
I watch everything on DVR, and yes, sometimes sports too by watching the recording 30 minutes after the game starts. I don't have time to waste watching commercials, which often makes me wonder how effective tv advertising is anymore.

Reaction Score

It's automated now.

This was 2 years ago.

The log I entered stuff into was digital, online.

EDIT: I looked up Nielsen and they now appear to have new metering tech that they didn't have when I did it.

Reaction Score

It's automated now.

We were a Nielsen family a few years ago. It definitely is totally automated now. I would also venture to surmise that with digital boxes, the cable/satellite providers have data on what all subscribers are tuned to at all times. If so, they may keep that data internal, or sell it for someone else to aggregate.

Reaction Score
The original premise of this thread is still stupid, despite this update.

What it really should read:
A) IF the B12 expands, and if Herbst, WM, or anyone else manages to overcome the massive headwinds (mostly geographical) and get an invite, they should have a statue of them placed next to the Storrs brothers.
B) IF not, we're screwed, but it's not necessarily a dereliction of duty.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that aside from the school confirming that Herbst and the K-State Prez did meet in November per his Tweets, the school is saying absolutely nothing right now. (Also even Jacobs said that the school said CR was not discussed.)

Journalists, bloggers, fans and "insiders" are talking loudly about us being a possibility, but the school isn't promising anything right now.

So, if this whole thing doesn't shake out in our favor, let's not pretend that the school was out there leading the charge and place the failure directly on them. They are doing their job in what would appear to be a methodical and behind the scenes way, but unlike in past CR failures, they aren't out there talking about this possibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We were a Nielsen family a few years ago. It definitely is totally automated now. I would also venture to surmise that with digital boxes, the cable/satellite providers have data on what all subscribers are tuned to at all times. If so, they may keep that data internal, or sell it for someone else to aggregate.

I imagine they hold onto that data like grim death.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think it's also important to keep in mind that aside from the school confirming that Herbst and the K-State Prez did meet in November per his Tweets, the school is saying absolutely nothing right now. (Also even Jacobs said that the school said CR was not discussed.)

Journalists, bloggers, fans and "insiders" are talking loudly about us being a possibility, but the school isn't promising anything right now.

So, if this whole thing doesn't shake out in our favor, let's not pretend that the school was out there leading the charge and place the failure directly on them. They are doing their job in what would appear to be a methodical and behind the scenes way, but unlike in past CR failures, they aren't out there talking about this possibility.
argle bargle donuts

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I spoke with a friend of mine who is an associate AD at a D1 school, and he said to 'mark his words' that it would be Cincy and BYU

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I spoke with a friend of mine who is an associate AD at a D1 school, and he said to 'mark his words' that it would be Cincy and BYU
As long as your friend isn't a Manuel or a Big 12 AD, I'm not particularly concerned by his opinion.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
As long as your friend isn't a Manuel or a Big 12 AD, I'm not particularly concerned by his opinion.

Not saying that it's definitive proof of anything happening/not happening, but it's a source that probably hears more than the random twitter 'insiders' do considering he's actually in an AD

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Yeah, but then we went and beat them.
That pretty much was their biggest fear. UConn is basically the sleeping giant that the US was in ww2. They know if we are awoken, we will slaughter BC in short order. Instead of taking a few years to become competitive with BCU, we went ahead and beat them the first time out in hockey. That was an amazing night btw.

Reaction Score
That pretty much was their biggest fear. UConn is basically the sleeping giant that the US was in ww2. They know if we are awoken, we will slaughter BC in short order. Instead of taking a few years to become competitive with BCU, we went ahead and beat them the first time out in hockey. That was an amazing night btw.

WOW. Can we pin this post somewhere? This may be the greatest in CR history.

UConn = Pre World War II USA.

Reaction Score

What you are describing is keeping a "Nielsen Diary." These booklets are/were mass produced and distributed in select markets for use as an additional data point for local affiliates to set ad rates during sweeps periods.

There are however device thingamajigges that are attached to TV's to meter usage. These "people meters", as they're called, are responsible for generating The Nielsen Ratings that everyone likes to reference. One single home's viewership will be considered representative of tens of thousands of homes featuring the same demographics within that area. If anybody here has these devices installed in their home, I suggest watching LOTS of UConn Programming.

Things may have changed a bit technology wise over the last few years, but this is how it was done when I worked for NMR in Eastern PA, Southern NJ, and Upstate NY for many years in the 2000's.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That pretty much was their biggest fear. UConn is basically the sleeping giant that the US was in ww2.

Bob Ryan has said as much several times. And he's a BCU grad.

Reaction Score
Interesting article here:

Each FBS conference designates a representative to the NCAA council that votes on legislation. They are:

• Mitch Barnhart, AD, Kentucky, SEC
  • Tim Day, FAR, Iowa State, Big 12
  • Dan Guerrero, AD, UCLA, Pac-12
  • John Hartwell, AD, Troy, Sun Belt
  • Blake James, AD, Miami, ACC
  • Paul Krebs, AD, New Mexico, MWC
  • Warde Manuel, AD, UConn, American Athletic Conference
  • Jim Phillips, AD, Northwestern, Big Ten
  • Judy Rose, AD, Charlotte, Conference USA
  • Tom Wistrcill, AD, Akron, MAC
Each FBS conference has one vote, but the votes from the Power 5 conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12) count double, meaning there are 15 votes total.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-conference-title-game-byu-houston-cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom