"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans | Page 6 | The Boneyard

"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you realize who wanted the GOR in the first palce?

They probably have thought this through and figure that they have enough pull to get enough votes to dissolve the conference if needed.

Reaction Score
Interesting comparison but clearly 1 of the schools you mentioned has a pattern of lies and deception that led to the end of a conference already, now they have a new host, and they are only a partial member, again. The other has not done anything like that. If you think that UT is sitting around planning how to leave the Big 12 you dont' know much about the conference. Do you realize who wanted the GOR in the first palce?
You related to buckianeer?

Reaction Score
You related to buckianeer?
Nope. I don't insult people. There is a poster on here who seems to like insulting people. He is most like Bucaineer.

I know what Notre Dame has done recently. Like sitting on the Big East expansion Committee, securing the future of the conference, then deciding to leave for the ACC. Or agreeing to play the teams in the BE in FB, then never keeping the agreement. They are the main reason UConn is stuck in the AAC. Surprises me that you dont' see that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I actually live here and drive on the roads. From my driveway to KU is 45 minutes. I live 10 miles closer to KU than the airport. But you go ahead and trust the computer generated BS.

It's a pointless argument, but having lived in Lawrence for three years of Law School (across the street from Allen Field House), and then in Johnson Cty., ZooCougar is right. It's a solid hour, worse on occasion. It might be 45 minutes from the moment you get on I-70 in Lawrence to the exit for the airport, but it doesn't contemplate travel in town or around the airport.

Reaction Score
No Fishy is anything BUT an elitist!?! Just an eastcoast perception of what happened when you guys were in near collapse.Teams like Kansas,Baylor and K.St were in a panic(tasted possible homelessness) looking to the OBE for a home(at least behind the scenes) and we see the B12 as maybe the least desirable of options of the P5 conferences! I mean really w/o UT/Okla where do some of these schools go? IMO you guys have an inflated sense of yourselves and Fishy always keeps it real!
So from your perspective you still consider the Big 12 weak and on the verge of collapse?

If you think the big 12 has an inflated view of themselves, it didn't' come from me. I am extremely realistic about where we are at. I don't thin OSU is that valuable to a major conference. I dont' think UConn is that valuable to a major conference, if you were worth big money you would have already been snatched up already. Instead schools like Louisville, WVU, Utah, TCU, and Rutgers got in. Obviously there are many reasons for this but value to TV partners is pretty important.

If you want to believe the Big 1 2is the least of the power conferences so be it. I personally think the Big 12 has advantages over the ACC.

Partial membership is an issue, there is a reason no other power conference has partial members.
There is a reason the SEC partnered with the Big 12 and not the ACC with the sugar bowl. The ACC orange bowl deal is not worth the same as the rose or sugar bowl. Clearly the ACC is at a disadvantage. The ACC payout is not as much as the other power conferences, clearly there is a reason for this. The ACC has a lot of dead weight like Wake and BC. They also have a lot of non power conference FB programs who have 20k and 30k fans at games. With FB being the most important factor, that is a huge disadvantage for ACC having multiple mid major type programs to support.

I personally don't see either the Big 12 or ACC dying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, the OSU fans I met in San Antonio were the best group of FF fans I've come across. Sparty was clearly the worst.

Reaction Score
Funny you mention San Francisco. Our long time Coach Eddie Sutton coached there after he left OSU. So we do have that in common with them. Love the insult as well about the championships. I could do the same to you but it does not make me feel better to insult you.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I said. I said you would have the most in common with these schools, I didn't say your AD was just like those schools. They are well respected academic institutions, much like UConn. Tulane is AAU, SMU and Tulsa are also excellent academic schools. It is obvious that you are extremely sensitive about your school, but in this situation it is completely unnecessary. Take the chip off your shoulder.
Let's not kid ourselves that we're in better place because Tulane, SMU and Tulsa have good academics...We're focused on what the athletic profile these schools bring to the table...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny you mention San Francisco. Our long time Coach Eddie Sutton coached there after he left OSU. So we do have that in common with them. Love the insult as well about the championships. I could do the same to you but it does not make me feel better to insult you.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I said. I said you would have the most in common with these schools, I didn't say your AD was just like those schools. They are well respected academic institutions, much like UConn. Tulane is AAU, SMU and Tulsa are also excellent academic schools. It is obvious that you are extremely sensitive about your school, but in this situation it is completely unnecessary. Take the chip off your shoulder.

I really don't get this. I garduated from a Big 12 school and from UConn. Tulane is an urban school in the heart of New Orleans. It has an enrollment of less than 9,000. It's a really good school, but couldn't be less like UConn. Tulsa is semi-urban (if you can call Tulsa urban in any respect) and is smaller still. SMU is small and urban. All are private and UConn is public. If you are using academics and athletics, the school UConn is most like in the Big XII is Texas (#52, and #57 USNEWS). But clearly their 40k enrollment is huge. So the closest overall fit (despite an acadmic gap of #57 to #101) are Kansas and OU. Enrollment is about the same. Yes, UConn is about the same size as KU and OU (and enrollment is growing much faster at UConn). I am counting undergrads.

So perhaps we wouldn't be so sensitive, if you stopped comparing UConn to small private schools. It's obviously what you perceive. But the reality is quite different. It is a land grant university that started with an agricultural focus, just like all the major state universities in the midwest. It's also in a rural setting, not urban. I brought several friends from Kansas back to Connecticut and they were all surprised at what they saw. Yes, along I-95, it is densely populated and looks like the gateway to NYC that it is. But the state is heavily forested, and not all what they imagined, and that certainly includes Storrs.

Reaction Score
Nope. I don't insult people. There is a poster on here who seems to like insulting people. He is most like Bucaineer.

I know what Notre Dame has done recently. Like sitting on the Big East expansion Committee, securing the future of the conference, then deciding to leave for the ACC. Or agreeing to play the teams in the BE in FB, then never keeping the agreement. They are the main reason UConn is stuck in the AAC. Surprises me that you dont' see that.

You deserve the attacks because your posts are utterly patronizing and condescending.

Then you tell us we have a ton in common with the schools you mentioned. It's almost like saying OSU has a ton in common with Emporia State.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I really don't get this. I garduated from a Big 12 school and from UConn. Tulane is an urban school in the heart of New Orleans. It has an enrollment of less than 9,000. It's a really good school, but couldn't be less like UConn. Tulsa is semi-urban (if you can call Tulsa urban in any respect) and is smaller still. SMU is small and urban. All are private and UConn is public. If you are using academics and athletics, the school UConn is most like in the Big XII is Texas (#52, and #57 USNEWS). But clearly their 40k enrollment is huge. So the closest overall fit (despite an acadmic gap of #57 to #101) are Kansas and OU. Enrollment is about the same. Yes, UConn is about the same size as KU and OU (and enrollment is growing much faster at UConn). I am counting undergrads.

So perhaps we wouldn't be so sensitive, if you stopped comparing UConn to small private schools. It's obviously what you perceive. But the reality is quite different. It is a land grant university that started with an agricultural focus, just like all the major state universities in the midwest. It's also in a rural setting, not urban. I brought several friends from Kansas back to Connecticut and they were all surprised at what they saw. Yes, along I-95, it is densely populated and looks like the gateway to NYC that it is. But the state is heavily forested, and not all what they imagined, and that certainly includes Storrs.

I think he insulted that the Big 12 is not our first preference. That or he is a an Ex-CUSA troll who doesn't understand why we are not overjoyed with the AAC.

Reaction Score

I think you are taking this way to seriously.

With a ll due respect I have been insulted by your fans, and my school has been insulted by your fans. I Have not done anything to deserve this. If I treated you like you treat me I would have already been banned. UConn fans seem to like to throw insults around and then play the victim when in realty nobody insulted your school at all. Just stop with the victim act, nobody is buying it.

I never compared UConn to small private schools, clearly there are huge differences. I said you likely have more in common with them than say OSU, which is more of an ag school. Just because OSU and UConn are both public does not make them similar. Just because they have similar enrollment does not make them alike. I think in many senses your fans would have more in common with those schools (Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU) than schools in your conference like UCF, Houston, or ECU. That is not an insult, please dont' take it as such. It's more about the academics, not the AD's. Clearly UConn is not a directional school or commuter college.

Reaction Score
UCONN has over 30K students: http://www.uconn.edu/students.php

Applications to UCONN for undergraduate has jumped significantly this year: http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/01/uconn-sees-jump-in-applications/

Academically, UCONN is on the rise and it is only getting better and better each year. State of CT will continue to invest in UCONN. Recently, state has committed over $2B worth of funding to UCONN.

The school with most similar profile to UCONN in the B12 is Texas minus the football.

That is really impressive. Sounds like taxpayers don't mind paying UConn. Good to have that level of support.

There are a whole lot more differences between UT and UConn than just Football. You statement says a lot about where you think UConn is in the pecking order by comparing yourself to UT. KU is by far the closest comparison IMO.

Reaction Score
I think he insulted that the Big 12 is not our first preference. That or he is a an Ex-CUSA troll who doesn't understand why we are not overjoyed with the AAC.
You really need to stop talking about me and calling me names with every post. It's pathetic to say the least. You are just doing the same thing over and over. Do you not realize how embarrassing it is to act like this?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The reality is that we'd be happy with a Big 12 invite, compared to where we are. What I find annoying is the view that this is some kind of gift, like the Big 12 would be lowering itself somehow. As if our one season in the AAC has somehow lowered us to a CUSA school. We are not a mid major...end of story.

Instead, UConn would be the 2nd best school academically, the second best (overall) basketball program, best WBB program, best soccer program (Big 12 doesn't even play it, one reason it isn't a good fit) and probably wouldn't be the worst football program. Baseball would be a little behind, but we've made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 and nearly went to the CWS last year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That is really impressive. Sounds like taxpayers don't mind paying UConn. Good to have that level of support.

There are a whole lot more differences between UT and UConn than just Football. You statement says a lot about where you think UConn is in the pecking order by comparing yourself to UT. KU is by far the closest comparison IMO.

Aside from size/enrollment, and football (I'll concede baseball as well), please let us know what those differences are. Alumni base is a component of size.

Reaction Score
You really need to stop talking about me and calling me names with every post. It's pathetic to say the least. You are just doing the same thing over and over. Do you not realize how embarrassing it is to act like this?

What is pathetic is your ulterior motive for being here. I mean why does an OSU feel the need to come over here with your condescending tone and educate the unenlightened? I think you are just put off by the fact that the ACC and B1G are far more attractive options.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the OSU fans I met in San Antonio were the best group of FF fans I've come across. Sparty was clearly the worst.

I was in Stillwater and was blinded by the happy smiles and cheery greetings of blonde boys and girls as I was walking with my coffee to a meeting at 7:30 am. "Leave me the hell alone!" I wanted to scream out, but I didn't want to play to the stereotype. I asked them questions about things that perplexed me. "Why do you call it yellow grass?" "Why are kids wearing close with big red dirt splotches on them?" But they just kept smiling and smiling at me like I was an alien.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think you are taking this way to seriously.

With a ll due respect I have been insulted by your fans, and my school has been insulted by your fans. I Have not done anything to deserve this. If I treated you like you treat me I would have already been banned. UConn fans seem to like to throw insults around and then play the victim when in realty nobody insulted your school at all. Just stop with the victim act, nobody is buying it.

I never compared UConn to small private schools, clearly there are huge differences. I said you likely have more in common with them than say OSU, which is more of an ag school. Just because OSU and UConn are both public does not make them similar. Just because they have similar enrollment does not make them alike. I think in many senses your fans would have more in common with those schools (Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU) than schools in your conference like UCF, Houston, or ECU. That is not an insult, please dont' take it as such. It's more about the academics, not the AD's. Clearly UConn is not a directional school or commuter college.

Well I haven't insulted you or OK State. As I said, UConn was an AG school, it still has an Ag school, and there is a big ole bunch of Cows on the left when you drive on campus. All the milk, butter, ice creat etc. consumed in dining halls is produced on campus. The Dairy Barn makes fantastic ice cream. Now does it play a role like at OSU and K-State? No, not anymore. But I don't think UConn has much in common with Tulane and SMU other than incoming SAT scores. Culturally they are nothing alike. But yes, they at least have the SAT scores, unlike ECU, Memphis and Houston.

As a school, it is probably most similar academically, athletically and in size to U Georgia, Clemson, Pitt...maybe Maryland and Washington, though they are a bit bigger. Those are our peer institutions. Culturally, it's in New England, so probably isn't similar to any school in the South. UConn is a ship out of water. It's rapidly growing flagship public school in the northeast, in a non-urban setting, with good academics and a strong following for its sports programs. The only school that is at all similar is Penn State (and it is twice the size).

Reaction Score
Reading that thread on MSU's board made my head hurt. Most of their posters don't seem to know anything about UConn, geography or mass transit in the tri-state area.

Reaction Score
Aside from size/enrollment, and football (I'll concede baseball as well), please let us know what those differences are. Alumni base is a component of size.
It would probably be easier to just state what the similarities are. Comparing yourself to one of the biggest and most valuable schools in the country is a stretch for just about anybody. Don't be surprised if people dont' consider UConn and UT to be similar.

Lets start with AD budget. Pretty big difference there, likely in the neighborhood of double.
CFB attendance. You draw 20k -40k, they draw nearly 100k.
National Championships, 16 to 50.
In state population. 3.5 million to 26.5 million (I didn't realize Oklahoma has more people than Connecticut)
Your AD is 25% funded by taxpayers, theirs is 0%.
They pay about 3x as much for their FB coach.

I can continue but at the end of the day UConn is nowhere near as valuable as UT. That is not a slam, its' being real. No school really compares well to UT as a whole package.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I sense somewhat of an elitist attitude. That fits right in with schools like SMU. They claim their maids went to school at UT.

So you think you are better than the schools in the Big 12 and AAC? Karma is a real beeach. With an attitude like that you probably should be in the B1G or ACC.

Funny how most college sport fans have an inflated view of their school.

Good lord. Try to keep up, Simple Jack.

Tulane and SMU are excellent academic institutions, (far, far better than the one you're carrying water for), but two schools in NOLA and Dallas have zero common ground with a large public in New England. A couple of basketball games or a football game ever other year will never change that.

This guy is a carbon copy of that West Virginia kid we just jettisoned.

Reaction Score
You deserve the attacks because your posts are utterly patronizing and condescending.

Then you tell us we have a ton in common with the schools you mentioned. It's almost like saying OSU has a ton in common with Emporia State.

Emporia State did produce Leon Lett, and Leon's known for his really head strong decision making and thought.. so there is that common tie....oh never mind.

Why are you entertaining this guy? FIshy should be non-stop insulting the guy and everybody liking the posts more times than is possible.

Reaction Score
What is pathetic is your ulterior motive for being here. I mean why does an OSU feel the need to come over here with your condescending tone and educate the unenlightened? I think you are just put off by the fact that the ACC and B1G are far more attractive options.
I have no motive. Just wanted to hear a UConn perspective on things. I 100% understand that the ACC and B1G are top choices for UConn. Rightly so.

I am not condescending at all. You on the other hand. Well your statements speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom