If the Atlanta Dream make it into the WNBA Finals... | The Boneyard

If the Atlanta Dream make it into the WNBA Finals...

Think there will be viewing records set?

• yes

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • no

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I predict that there will be new records set in numbers of viewers watching.

The Shoni Schimmel Effect...

A full five game series (not sure what it is?) would be even better!

Reaction Score
I agree. She's already got a huge fan base. I'm not totally sold on her as a player but there is no doubt in my mind that she is the most exciting player in the WNBA today.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Beemer said:
I agree. She's already got a huge fan base. I'm not totally sold on her as a player but there is no doubt in my mind that she is the most exciting player in the WNBA today.

Well she is A LOT of fun to watch but not most exciting in my opinion however, she does have a huge fan base and that equals increase in interest and in ticket sales for the WNBA which is nothing but good! Showtime Shimmel - go get'em Shoni!!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Hey now, Hey now! there will be no underselling of Tiff in our house.

Reaction Score
I'm not underselling Tiff. I support our UConn grads! But there is something about Shoni. Some athletes have that charisma and she's got it by the bucketful.

Reaction Score
Huh?

First of all, how are you not sold on her as a player? I think it's a complete mystery how good of a player she will be, but she's definitely starting material in the WNBA. Her rookie, early playoff and WNBA All-Star Game performances all bear out that she belongs.

But the most exciting player in the league? Uh, no.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I know Angel is their star, but I find it difficult to take the ball out of Shoni's hands for a clutch shot. She gave it up to Angel on the last play. I am sure it was a set.

Reaction Score
Jeeze...what a meltdown, collapse...whatever you want to call it.

Players choking on foul shots at the end of the game...taking desperation shots etc, etc.

The WNBA just lost a huge viewing audience last night. Delle Donne's fans may make up part of it but it'll be nothing like it could've been.

Just a thought- they could've used Dumerc's big game experience in this one.

Reaction Score
Huh?

First of all, how are you not sold on her as a player? I think it's a complete mystery how good of a player she will be, but she's definitely starting material in the WNBA. Her rookie, early playoff and WNBA All-Star Game performances all bear out that she belongs.

But the most exciting player in the league? Uh, no.

Her defense is suspect and sometimes her judgment with the ball is questionable but those are things she can fix if she wants to make the effort . As for her being the most exciting player in the W, yes that is my opinion. When I see her check into a game I know something special is about to happen, I just don't know what lol. I don't feel that way about other players.

Reaction Score
And I can't believe I shut the Dream/Sky game off at halftime. I've watched enough sports to know that comebacks are always possible :oops:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Striper69 said:
Jeeze...what a meltdown, collapse...whatever you want to call it.

Players choking on foul shots at the end of the game...taking desperation shots etc, etc.

The WNBA just lost a huge viewing audience last night. Delle Donne's fans may make up part of it but it'll be nothing like it could've been.

Just a thought- they could've used Dumerc's big game experience in this one.

I completely disagree with you I don't think it was a choke at all and I don't think that the game was detrimental to women's basketball by causing them to lose audience.

It started as a blowout - Chicago couldn't hit a barn door, their shots weren't falling, and Atlanta was eating them up in the paint on both ends of the floor. Shoni to her credit, her shots were not dropping but she made some great assists and collected five rebounds. And as the fates would have it, towards the end of rhe game, shots that weren't falling for Chicago in the beginning suddenly were dropping in in the 4th quarter, Elena Delle Donne came alive, and Atlanta's shots they weren't going in. It was an exciting game decided by a single point. I agree that the shots missed at the charity stripe were a disappointment I'm sure for the people that were shooting them and their team because they would have ended up being the deciding shots. And I believe that Shoni should have been kept in at the end of the game because of her ability to get the ball to the person in position to score. Instead they had her on the bench and they got the ball right away to Angel who then had to create her shot and she couldn't because Chicago's defense and the ROOF were collapsing all over her. I understand shon's a defensive liability but this is what I saw.

this game was decided by one point at the very end of the game . And if I recall Angel's final shot took its time about deciding whether or not it was going to go in and sadly it didn't go in. It was exciting and fun to watch and if its available on live access I'm going to watch it again.

Reaction Score
Her defense is suspect and sometimes her judgment with the ball is questionable but those are things she can fix if she wants to make the effort . As for her being the most exciting player in the W, yes that is my opinion. When I see her check into a game I know something special is about to happen, I just don't know what lol. I don't feel that way about other players.
She may be the mos exciting player to you, which is fine. But objectively speaking, it's difficult to call her the league's most exciting player right now.

With that said, I agree wholeheartedly about never knowing what to expect from Shoni. For instance, that behind-the-back pass? That type of flare is few and far between in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I feel badly that Shoni and Tiff won't be going to the next round. However, I would have had a hard time with seeing Angel advance. Just can't get past her attitude at times.

Reaction Score
I like Angel's attitude but she has to learn how to control it (like DT). I had my doubts before this series.

Shoni will just keep getting better and better.

What I meant about losing the audience was that if they played at either Phoenix or Minny they would've had a huge NA/NDN audience. They still probably would've lost because both those teams are at their peak right now.

Hat's off to Elena and the Sky. They didn't give up and that may have been the greatest comeback of the league's history!

I wonder if Shoni would've missed those foul shots...

Reaction Score

Not even close for me. DT and Maya - and nobody is close to those two.

Can't wait for this upcomng series.

Reaction Score
Not even close for me. DT and Maya - and nobody is close to those two.

Can't wait for this upcomng series.

Maybe a better word is "dynamic". She surprises everybody with the things she does. Even though I liked her as a college player I wasn't really expecting her to be able to do the things she did in the first few games of the season and neither were the teams she was playing against.

Reaction Score
Maybe a better word is "dynamic". She surprises everybody with the things she does. Even though I liked her as a college player I wasn't really expecting her to be able to do the things she did in the first few games of the season and neither were the teams she was playing against.

To each his own. Dynamic for me was for example Maya's scoring on a consistent basis then watch how the defense tries to counter it, then she makes fantastic passes in which their simple but beautiful because they are so simple. You get it in doses wth Shoni- not for a game on any consistent level. The beauty of player's like Bird and Dt wasn't their spectacular halfcourt shots they hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom