If Diaco had come in directly after FUCHRE.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Diaco had come in directly after FUCHRE....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think the better comparison is the 2012 defense, which I believe was better than 2010.

It would have been hard to be better than that 2012 defense. That defense was nasty. It's also hard to believe that we lost 4 games that year to teams that we held under 20 points... :(

Reaction Score
God bless all of us if that is true.

McCummings is the opposite of Diaco's kind of QB.

It's not that he's big, slow, and has poor accuracy. He showed up to camp about 40-50 pounds overweight.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
McCummings is the opposite of Diaco's kind of QB.

It's not that he's big, slow, and has poor accuracy. He showed up to camp about 40-50 pounds overweight.

I do hope that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat is an additional reason.

Reaction Score
1. Alternative history can be fun but IIRC Diaco wasn't on anybodies radar in 2010 so does this what if include a scenario where we transition from Edall to Diaco in 2013?
2. Otherwise, even if HCBD is not the guy, we'd be three years closer to finding the guy and would've avoided the ppgdl years, so yes to the question asked in that regard.
3. Thing about RE is that he was great as an underdog but couldn't manage the transition to playing like he had the better team. We could stay close when we sucked but, using the same philosophies, we kept it close when we could've been throat stomping...
4. One thing I've never seen since we made the move and the thing I hope for the most, is a UConn team that plays with swagger; that knows it's going to win and attacks to bury opponents. I'm so tired of the strategy that calls for keeping it close enough for a 4th qtr pick six to give us a chance.
The real downside of Edsall strategy is it never resonatated with the average sports fan in CT. Basketball gave football a huge potential fan base that was never truly exploited due to style.
Danny O junior year ,after huge wins over Navy and Iowas State.,there was a flicker of hope.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The real downside of Edsall strategy is it never resonatated with the average sports fan in CT. Basketball gave football a huge potential fan base that was never truly exploited due to style.
Danny O junior year ,after huge wins over Navy and Iowas State.,there was a flicker of hope.

It resonated ok when we were the team with trailers for offices. Every time we had a chance to turn a corner, we fell flat. You have to transition from spunky underdog to established program. I never felt like we did.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the better comparison is the 2012 defense, which I believe was better than 2010.

Yet in 2012 we couldn't stop Western Michigan when we needed to and Syracuse humiliated us at the dome.

Yes, the 2012 defense for the most part was exceptional but I'm not sure that the personnel would not have performed better with a less 'aggressive' philosophy. It would be a mistake to attribute more of that season's success on defense to the scheme than to the talent.

Reaction Score
Well, the obvious answer is that Diaco didn't have the resume to be a HC at the time Edsall left. I think it was Jimmy that said it, but PGDL was the worst hire at the worst time. I wished Hathaway would have just hired Whipple. While I don't think he was taking us to any great heights, he is an offensive minded coach who develops QBs.

As for the "culture" issues, ok, how long are those going to hold up? Starting next year is year 2, we've had defections and graduations. This time next year, i hope to God we don't have hear about the GD "culture" any longer. Go out there and coach damn it.

Reaction Score
It resonated ok when we were the team with trailers for offices. Every time we had a chance to turn a corner, we fell flat. You have to transition from spunky underdog to established program. I never felt like we did.
I agree even the Fiesta Bowl , team ,although it created some buzz ,was drowned out by ,the poor ticket sales story,an alleged blowout lose,and Edsall's the rapid departure.
(I was there and I know the ticket sales ,vs actually UConn fan attendence weren't even close.) I also know the OU fans in front of us were pretty nevous until that last pick.

So what might have been the greatest PR moment for UConn since 1999 was muted.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So that leaves the QB. That's what it comes down to. So if you believe that Diaco would have done a better job with McEntee and Nebrich than PP, then you can conclude he likely would have had a better record in 2011. If you don't, then you probably can't. The way he handled the QBs this year is not an indication that it would have been better....

Indeed the key, and also correct. The bolded might be the understatement of the year.

Reaction Score
I do hope that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat is an additional reason.

Yes, I left out one word by accident. "It's not ONLY that he's big, slow, and has poor accuracy..."

Reaction Score
Couple of things.

Even if Diaco hadn't won games replacing Edsall - he wouldn't have burned the program to the ground. So to try and measure by win differential is hilarious.

Secondly - Edsall's last recruiting classes may have been fine if Edsall stayed. You may not have noticed this yet - but he was putting together relatively successful teams in a much different fashion than anyone else.

You can't judge an Edsall class when they aren't coached by Edsall.
Edsall milked Donald Brown and Todman. He developed good OL's and relatively good D's. He never developed a QB (Orlovsky not included) and I thought everybody regressed under him. WR's forget it.

With Todman leaving, the QB situation a complete shambles he would have ridden maybe 6 more wins with the D he had. He saw the writing on the wall.

Maybe Diaco squeezes out more wins, but the total program would be ready for takeoff.

Let's see how he recruits. I am impressed that he landed Ron Johnson. Maybe he will find another QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom