I think I complain about this every year, but the Courant is a joke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I think I complain about this every year, but the Courant is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Eh, don't love Dez on the beat. Liked Chip's analysis better - if only the Register would have committed to covering the team. Silver is the best all-around beat writer on FB.

Reaction Score
Dez just put a article up online about the scrimmage, how much more coverage do you want. Everything can be found on the Internet go to yahoo. Etc. I hope everyone throwing stones at the courant puts a husky flag outside every saturday

Reaction Score
I think the state(media included) will jump on the band wagon once the Huskies get a good winning streak going(10 wins might do it), win a major bowl or possibly run the table in a single season. The football program has to do something to create that buzz. And they better start doing it soon cause Boise St and Houston are coming. Once they do have a remarkable season and get ranked up around the top 10 the state will come alive just like they did for men's and women's basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Think about what you are saying. If just the team would run the table people would get on board. Sure, no problem. Just win every game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I ran into a friend tonight who goes to 3-4 games this year. Told him I had an 'extra for the UConn game next week'.

His three questions: What day? Is it a preseason game? Who are they playing?

frustrating isn't it? every year in august during one of my softball teams weekly email threads for the next game i send out a uconn fball email. i kinda take it as my duty to at least make a effort as a fan to spread word when ever i can. most of the guys on my team have been to a game or couple over the years but none of them have really bought into it. i hope others do the same type of stuff. this year it was the most basic questions, they didn't have a clue who was playing etc. 4 of them are going to the ncst game now which is progress.

the exposure down here is brutal. its been better of late with the newspapers but not much overall. if i had the money i would put up a bill board myself off 95 being the die hard i am. or mail a add out to every address in fairfield county on behalf of uconn. i just wish the school would take to the next level.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
hell i think im going to send a huge email to the ad soon. i'm going to apply for a job that doesn't exist there. i'm going to sell them that i can double there fan base size in the next 10 years and explain why just to see what feedback i get.

Reaction Score
Eh, don't love Dez on the beat. Liked Chip's analysis better - if only the Register would have committed to covering the team. Silver is the best all-around beat writer on FB.

Dez does a good job getting the info out as quick as he can and has developed relationships that provide info, he's just a bit more "relaxed" in his messaging. john is good as well and Zach is missed.

The New Haven Register does a decent job... Jim Fuller has moved onto the UConn Football beat since Chip's promotion. Jim Seems to be trying multiple avenues to get the word out. He's started a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/UConnFootball?ref=ts) as well as the Twitter feed. Just posted this tonight...“@NHRJimFuller: #UConn football commit Richard Lagow named QB on National Underclassman Combine first team http://post original url/LOl5qGqp

Unfortunately, print media is becoming increasingly lacking in depth. It's just not UConn sports - it's local news, politics and national news. If you wait for print media it's old news - I used to read 3-4 papes a day, now it's like DVRing a sports event - you end up finding the score before you have a chance to watch it,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
frustrating isn't it? every year in august during one of my softball teams weekly email threads for the next game i send out a uconn fball email. i kinda take it as my duty to at least make a effort as a fan to spread word when ever i can. most of the guys on my team have been to a game or couple over the years but none of them have really bought into it. i hope others do the same type of stuff. this year it was the most basic questions, they didn't have a clue who was playing etc. 4 of them are going to the ncst game now which is progress.

the exposure down here is brutal. its been better of late with the newspapers but not much overall. if i had the money i would put up a bill board myself off 95 being the die hard i am. or mail a add out to every address in fairfield county on behalf of uconn. i just wish the school would take **** to the next level.

It doesn't really bother me. I can get people to go to games. I can not get people to care. I just buy extra season tickets and spread them around. A guy I've been going to games with for 15 years picked a Jimmy Buffett concert over the opener. He's driven to NCSU and Toronto in the past- but still picked a concert over the game. Of the 50 or so people I've taken to games over the years none have progressed to caring who wins. My wife would qualify as the 4th or 5th best fan I know - she at least hates Matt Nuzie and remembers her first game at Memorial which was a 3ot loss to Nova. I work with hundreds of people who are in their 20's and 30's, dozens of whom went to UConn. 2 of them are what would qualify as fans in most parts of the country. They are the only two who could name a single person on the roster.

I've got news for you - billboards and junkmail are not getting anyone to drive from Darien or Westport to East Hartford on a Saturday to see Temple.

People here just aren't fans like they are in other parts of the country. Teams are non-entities if they aren't challenging for a championship. I have not heard a single person mention the Red Sox in months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dez does a good job getting the info out as quick as he can and has developed relationships that provide info, he's just a bit more "relaxed" in his messaging. john is good as well and Zach is missed.

The New Haven Register does a decent job... Jim Fuller has moved onto the UConn Football beat since Chip's promotion. Jim Seems to be trying multiple avenues to get the word out. He's started a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/UConnFootball?ref=ts) as well as the Twitter feed. Just posted this tonight...“@NHRJimFuller: #UConn football commit Richard Lagow named QB on National Underclassman Combine first team http://post original url/LOl5qGqp

Unfortunately, print media is becoming increasingly lacking in depth. It's just not UConn sports - it's local news, politics and national news. If you wait for print media it's old news - I used to read 3-4 papes a day, now it's like DVRing a sports event - you end up finding the score before you have a chance to watch it,

The Register doesn't send their writers to road games. Jim seems fine, but the paper doesn't support covering the team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It doesn't really bother me. I can get people to go to games. I can not get people to care. I just buy extra season tickets and spread them around. A guy I've been going to games with for 15 years picked a Jimmy Buffett concert over the opener. He's driven to NCSU and Toronto in the past- but still picked a concert over the game. Of the 50 or so people I've taken to games over the years none have progressed to caring who wins. I work with hundreds of people who are in their 20's and 30's, dozens of whom went to UConn. 2 of them are what would qualify as fans in most parts of the country. They are the only two who could name a single person on the roster.

I've got news for you - billboards and junkmail are not getting anyone to drive from Darien or Westport to East Hartford on a Saturday to see Temple.

People here just aren't fans like they are in other parts of the country. Teams are non-entities if they aren't challenging for a championship. I have not heard a single person mention the Red Sox in months.

i agree that its a tough sell to this market, but i think at least trying to create buzz and awareness is worth it. people in this area do care when they have some type of connection. one way with that is recruiting, another reason that i'm real excited about noel thomas being a husky commit! a couple years ago i drove down from school to see barnes pitch(before his last year) and met about 30 other people from the area(all fc ppl). the buzz was nothing but him. it was a fun time. as we get fc kids into the fball program, ppl will feel the connection and buy in. admittedly, thats one of the reasons i was real high on boyle this year. if local kids are good enough, i feel there is a added boost for getting them because they get the community's interested. i'm very happy with lagow for the record. he may sell tix and be the real deal as qb and lead a great O for us the next couple years, but a local kid can sell tix with his state ties and then hopefully more and more realize uconn football for what it is and enjoy game-days and become long term fans. we have talked about this before, sorry to rant.

i guess as a die hard surrounded by people who aren't down here, i'm almost desperate to create buzz and will always fight for ways to do so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i agree that its a tough sell to this market, but i think at least trying to create buzz and awareness is worth it. people in this area do care when they have some type of connection. one way with that is recruiting, another reason that i'm real excited about noel thomas being a husky commit! a couple years ago i drove down from school to see barnes pitch(before his last year) and met about 30 other people from the area(all fc ppl). the buzz was nothing but him. it was a fun time. as we get fc kids into the fball program, ppl will feel the connection and buy in. admittedly, thats one of the reasons i was real high on boyle this year. if local kids are good enough, i feel there is a added boost for getting them because they get the community's interested. i'm very happy with lagow for the record. he may sell tix and be the real deal as qb and lead a great O for us the next couple years, but a local kid can sell tix with his state ties and then hopefully more and more realize uconn football for what it is and enjoy game-days and become long term fans. we have talked about this before, sorry to rant.

i guess as a die hard surrounded by people who aren't down here, i'm almost desperate to create buzz and will always fight for ways to do so.

I lived in Fairfield for three years (97-00). I knew one other person who even casually liked UConn.

Fairfield County is huge for the program, but advertising isn't going to make people care. You might be right, maybe a few kids from Staples or Greenwich will change things - and I do think it would help a bit.

This is a market that only likes big winners and for some odd reason is content to sit at home and watch games on TV. UConn came off a national championship and had the top recruit in the country and I went to basketball games this year that barely filled 2/3rds of the XL Center.

Sports are just not as important here as other parts of the country. In some ways that is good, but when it comes to having a passionate college football fanbase it is not.

Reaction Score
It doesn't really bother me. I can get people to go to games. I can not get people to care. I just buy extra season tickets and spread them around. A guy I've been going to games with for 15 years picked a Jimmy Buffett concert over the opener. He's driven to NCSU and Toronto in the past- but still picked a concert over the game. Of the 50 or so people I've taken to games over the years none have progressed to caring who wins. My wife would qualify as the 4th or 5th best fan I know - she at least hates Matt Nuzie and remembers her first game at Memorial which was a 3ot loss to Nova. I work with hundreds of people who are in their 20's and 30's, dozens of whom went to UConn. 2 of them are what would qualify as fans in most parts of the country. They are the only two who could name a single person on the roster.

I have experienced a lot of the same things you have. There is a group of us who went to UConn together (97-02-ish) and I buy season tickets and will take whomever wants to go, sometimes I can't find anyone and make the drive alone. Other times, I am buying up all kinds of single game tickets for friends. I had a caravan driving down to Charlotte. However, walking out of the Rent after USF in 07 is no different than walking out after the WVU loss in 08 for them. It is all about just going to a football game. I sometimes think there is no difference for them going to UConn games or CCSU.

However, this is not just a Connecticut thing. I live north of Boston and work with a number of BCU alums, one of whom is a season ticket holder and she and her husband share this experience too. She can't get any of our BCU co-workers to go to a game unless it is FSU or ND. I know we want to be better than our neighbors to the north but this is more a regional thing than just a UConn issue.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The Courant has a couple nice stories today. Coincidence? I think not.

Reaction Score
After reading some of these posts about our fan base I may have to kill myself.

But not till after the Cincy game at the earliest.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Dez called me last night looking for ideas. Exact quote was, "Gotta get something up there for Jax Husky."

Nice, thanks Jimmy! I really appreciate it. You da man!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is the type off stuff i'm wanting to see. umass gets it.
braintree.jpeg

Reaction Score
are u telling me there are no highway signs about our football team throughout the state??

I drove from New Haven to South Windsor to Hartford and back yesterday and I didn't see a single one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Free Parking? You call yourself big-time?

Reaction Score
I can tell you USF has billboards on I-75 and I -4. Warde. Get on it bro!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I drove from New Haven to South Windsor to Hartford and back yesterday and I didn't see a single one.

I drove 2 seconds on 91 just south of hartford and the fill the rent $15 billboards were out.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
guys i want these in fairfield county, westchester, springfield and right across the street from bc's campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom