I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve | The Boneyard

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve

Reaction Score
The quotation is portrayed at the very end of the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora!

It was presented as the opinion of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor , which he planned. In reality, there is no evidence he ever said those words. However, the essence of those words, within context to the reality of today's UCONN Woman's Basketball Team is starting to become a living reality.

For three years, for reasons well beyond this conversation, UCONN has had a sleeping giant. Until, the start of this season, it appeared as if this giant would never awaken.

However, the giant has awakened and its name is Saniya Chong.

Wreck Havoc on them Saniya with a terrible resolve; your time has finally come.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia:

"...Randall Wallace, the screenwriter of the 2001 film Pearl Harbor, readily admitted that he copied the line from Tora! Tora! Tora!The director of Tora! Tora! Tora!, Richard Fleischer, stated that while Yamamoto may never have said those words, the film's producer, Elmo Williams, had found the line written in Yamamoto's diary. Williams, in turn, has stated that Larry Forrester, the screenwriter, found a 1943 letter from Yamamoto to the Admiralty in Tokyo containing the quotation. However, Forrester cannot produce the letter, nor can anyone else, American or Japanese, recall or find it...."

Thanks, XO, for pointing up something about WWII that I thought I knew a bit about, but seemingly did not. For now, we can only say that he -might- have said the quote, or might not have. In light of his studies in the US, and his familiarity with the heavily industrialized Northeast, it isn't inconsistent with history, but that doesn't validate a claim of authenticity.

BTW: We always pull for Saniya to "ring one up" for the team. And when she does, we all yell "Chuh-Chong! Crazy, yes, but the fun of basketball keeps us from dwelling too much on an uncertain future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom