I didn't see a discussion of this brilliant article on recruiting | The Boneyard

I didn't see a discussion of this brilliant article on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's by Jim Fuller of the Register and ran a week ago.

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/02/silly-season-is-upon-us.html

Some excepts...

I find it laughable when people trying to sound smarter than they actually are proclaim that a player fits the UConn recruiting mold of big, strong, fast players. I can't believe UConn is the only program in the country trying to get big, strong, fast players but apparently there are those trying to push the story line that this quest began with the hiring of Bob Diaco. I am sure when Paul Pasqualoni or Randy Edsall were in charge of the recruiting side of things they passed on kids because they were too big, too fast, too athletic......

Five players in 2013 class had rating of 5.2, lowest for any UConn commits. That list includes Folorunso Fatukasi, Cole Ormsby two rising defensive stars at UConn . A total of 13 players in Class of 2006 had 5.2 or lower ratings by rivals including future pros Martin Bedard, Zach Hurd, Scott Lutrus and Lawrence Wilson. Shamar Stephen, who had the third-most tackles of any rookie defensive lineman during the 2014 NFL regular season, was the lowest rated player in UConn's 2009 class.....

Among the former UConn players who had a rating under 5.0 by Rivals were Oakland Raiders Sio Moore, a vital cog on the Oakland defense and Zach Hurd, who also spent some time on the Raiders' roster. Joining Moore as two-star recruits coming out of high school were current NFL players Tyvon Branch, Darius Butler, Ryan Griffin, Danny Lansanah, Robert McClain, Kendall Reyes, Jordan Todman and Blidi Wreh-Wilson....

Really nicely done.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The content of the article was discussed ad naseum. We just didn't realize we were discussing this particular article.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah. Everyone wants big & fast but at UCONN you don't get to pick

Edsall liked fast guys. Lots of recruits with track backgrounds.

Diaco seems to skew more towards big.

There is a difference.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Everyone wants big & fast but at UCONN you don't get to pick

Edsall liked fast guys. Lots of recruits with track backgrounds.

Diaco seems to skew more towards big.

There is a difference.

He's not talking about Diaco, who I agree has pursued size more than his predecessors. His point is many of football pundits and star givers and recruiting experts pass those remarks off as insight.

Reaction Score
This Board doesn't allow "I told you so" moments.

But ... Every single kid discussed there came from a background that didn't lead to evaluation by these services. Quebec & Connecticut & Long Island ... For instance.

But keep blistering our way along.

Reaction Score
It's a great point if you focus on 2 or 3 of the guys mentioned and ignore the fact that the others were from Bama, NC, PA, Mass, MD, NY, FL and other recruiting cul-de-sacs.

Reaction Score
That post has 16 names.

We know - with detail - their stories on how they got to UConn. EACH was overlooked. Often it was the geography as I stated. (Connecticut, LI, Quebec as I stated ... But also NH, MA, Maine, upstate NY). Or they played soccer thru HS. Or they went to a piddly FL school & didn't get noticed at a certain position. Or they blossomed late ... Like Senior year. After the Services had USED all their Stars.

Those 16 are representative of 100. Or more. Some of those fairly deserve 4 Stars. Not 4.9.

Come each of you to your own conclusion. I don't think we will win a Pittsburgh stud often. Or a high flying NJ kid. I'm fine going to battle with kids like those 16 & trying to win 10 games every year. Some opine that it can't be done. (when we have already done it). I think here's the best evidence. But ... I'm OK with yearning to win more 3 stars with P5 offers too.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I thought we put down our swords on this one. You're clearly trying to drum up another fight and then you'll predictably feign outrage when someone gives it to you.

Give this a rest. We get your point.

Reaction Score
Pudge, I thought we put down our swords on this one. You're clearly trying to drum up another fight and then you'll predictably feign outrage when someone gives it to you.

Give this a rest. We get your point.

I guess I just make the same point serially. Our Program didn't win by getting the Stars. I leave it there.

Reaction Score
What impresses me is the TALLrecievers Diaco recruited.
Aaron McLean, Southborough, Mass./St. Mark's, WR, 6-6, 210
Frank Battle, Miami, Fla./Belen Jesuit Prep, WR, 6-5, 190
Hergy Mayala, Montreal/Trinity Pawling (N.Y.), WR, 6-1, 200
Tyraiq Beals, East Orange, N.J./East Orange, WR, 6-0, 180

Chris Lee, Severna Park, Md./Severna Park, TE, 6-7, 255
Zordan Holman, Portland, Maine/Cheverus, TE, 6-6, 235
Ian Campbell, Pompton Plains, N.J./Pequannock, TE, 6-5, 225

I remember going to see Rutgers in 2012 at High Point Solutions Stadium.
Their recievers, all very tall were very intimidating and tough to cover.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443749204578052851145214698

Reaction Score

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443749204578052851145214698[/QUOTE]

Although impressive our tall receivers aren't as talented as Rutgers tall receivers was. Mark Harrison 3*, Tim Wright 3*, Brandon Coleman 4*, DC Jefferson 3*. If our tall receivers doesn't become as impactful as Rutgers tall receivers was (And I'm not saying they won't be) don't be surprised

Last edited:
Reaction Score

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443749204578052851145214698

Am I the only one who believes that at least two of the bottom three will be wearing a number between fifty and seventy-nine when they see the field? Maybe another Beatty. Who knows?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who believes that at least two of the bottom three will be wearing a number between fifty and seventy-nine when they see the field? Maybe another Beatty. Who knows?

No you are not the only one -

Chris Lee yes - if he really is already 255 he is well on his way - there is only one Gronk.
Holman yes.

Reaction Score
Although impressive our tall receivers aren't as talented as Rutgers tall receivers was. Mark Harrison 3*, Tim Wright 3*, Brandon Coleman 4*, DC Jefferson 3*. If our tall receivers doesn't become as impactful as Rutgers tall receivers was (And I'm not saying they won't be) don't be surprised

Diaco recruited them because they will cause match up problems for the opposing Defenses. No one is making predictions yet either way. Other than high school films we have nothing on these guys and there is no basis for your conclusions. They could be great or a bust, too early to tell. I am surprised at your assumptions.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Red Zone scoring is very important and it is something UCONN struggled with this past season and hopefully this size will help alleviate the situation

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Diaco recruited them because they will cause match up problems for the opposing Defenses. No one is making predictions yet either way. Other than high school films we have nothing on these guys and there is no basis for your conclusions. They could be great or a bust, too early to tell. I am surprised at your assumptions.
Correct me if I am wrong - wouldn't a 5'8" kid running a 4.4 cause a matchup problem for most teams as well??

Reaction Score
I remember hearing that one of Bud Wilkinson's recruiting philosophies at oklahoma back in the day was to bring in a lot of tallish quarterbacks. Obviously all were relatively athletic. Those who got beat out at qb bulked up and moved to the offensive line. A big reason these teams were so dominant was because their line was more athletic than their opponents. Im hoping that is what diaco is thinking with all these tight ends.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong - wouldn't a 5'8" kid running a 4.4 cause a matchup problem for most teams as well?

Who can forget the nightmares that WV's Tavon Austin gave us. There aren't too many Tavon's out there. The Taller guys have a better chance of getting those jump balls and really help in the Red Zone. See Texas Tech below.
Texas Tech Signs 6 Receivers to Help in Red-Zone Situations
186675874.jpg

Getty Images
LUBBOCK, TX - NOVEMBER 2: Texas Tech Red Raider head coach Kliff Kingsbury observes game action against the Oklahoma State Cowboys on November 2, 2013 at AT&T Jones Stadium in Lubbock, Texas. Oklahoma State won the game 52-34. (Photo by John Weast/Getty Images)
Kliff Kingsbury didn't get a quarterback this year but the two remaining signal-callers will have taller receivers as targets next season.

The Red Raiders weren't very efficient in the red zone last season, so the height of the six receivers Wednesday in the signing class should help. The group is heavy on Texas players, with 18 of the 20 players hailing from the Lone Star State.

After losing a five-star quarterback late to Baylor Kingsbury said the team should be fine with Patrick Mahomes or Davis Webb, who made starts last season. The pair will compete to become the starter in the spring.

Texas Tech's 2015 receivers below alphabetical order, with position, height, weight and school:

Tony Brown, wr, 6-1, 187, La Mirada (Calif.) High School
Keke Coutee, wr, 5-10, 170, Lufkin (Texas) HS
Jonathan Giles, wr, 5-11, 180, Fort Bend Elkins HS, Missouri City, Texas
Quan Shorts, wr, 6-2, 195, Atascocita HS, Humble, Texas
J.F. Thomas, wr, 6-4, 180, South Oak Cliff HS, Dallas
Donta Thompson, wr, 6-5, 215, Ennis (Texas) HS

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Have to get to the red zone first before worrying about your 6'4" in the red zone being able to catch the football.

Only 2 of those TT receivers are over 6'2". We already have/had 6'2" receivers.

If height is your only competitive advantage you are probably screwed. 6'4'' guys normally can't beat coverage - good news is Boyle over threw a bunch of receivers last year - so there's that, but even a 6'6" guy wasn't catching that overthrow against temple.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not that it is all that important but I don't believe Wright was particularly tall.

To point, yes, we would be better off recruiting more talented players but in this sport, more than most college sports, there is quite a bit of inaccuracy in the star system.

I continue to think back to the 2011 season, the makeup of that roster and what we would have been able to accomplish if we could have just taken two players (Collaros & Binns, both similarly rated to the bulk of our recruits historically) from Cincinnati's then roster.

I like what the staff appears to be doing and while it will very likely take longer than most of us would prefer, I believe that they will build a better version of what RE had going on here during his last few seasons. I'm also guessing that the fullback position will be gone from our offense once Clax graduates (this is based on the volume of TE recruits/incumbents).

Reaction Score

More likely to be busts than great... the only ones that I see maybe making an impact is Battle, Mayala, and Beals

Reaction Score
Have to get to the red zone first before worrying about your 6'4" in the red zone being able to catch the football.

Only 2 of those TT receivers are over 6'2". We already have/had 6'2" receivers.

If height is your only competitive advantage you are probably screwed. 6'4'' guys normally can't beat coverage - good news is Boyle over threw a bunch of receivers last year - so there's that, but even a 6'6" guy wasn't catching that overthrow against temple.

We have a head coach and staff that went after big, tall athletes because they felt it was a competitive advantage. I don't think tall was the only attribute they saw when they offered them scholarships. Sounds like some people out there have a problem with tall people. This discussion is getting tiresome. If they are tall slow and can't catch the football over the middle then they were lousy recruits. Let's see how they do and then comment. Right now, this is a pointless debate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We have a head coach and staff that went after big, tall athletes because they felt it was a competitive advantage. I don't think tall was the only attribute they saw when they offered them scholarships. Sounds like some people out there have a problem with tall people. This discussion is getting tiresome. If they are tall slow and can't catch the football over the middle then they were lousy recruits. Let's see how they do and then comment. Right now, this is a pointless debate.

Nobody has a problem with tall people. Few assume with no evidence that Diaco is Billy Beane who has recognized an inefficiency in college football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We can't compare our tall receivers or players to Texas Tech. TT has three 4* players and one of those players is a WR out of TEXAS, the other WR are all 3*'s. I don't see how you can compare our 2* guys to other tall 3 and 4* WR... Honestly, what your doing is selling other fans hope which only causes fans to be angry. If our 2* players perform like 2* players on the field then the fans get upset cause some people like you try to make some fans believe that our 2* WR's, just because they're tall can be compared to Rutgers 3 and 4* WR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom