I’m thinking JC is going to call it a career next month (long) | The Boneyard

I’m thinking JC is going to call it a career next month (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Based on the last few months, I find myself coming to the conclusion that we’ve seen the Jim Calhoun coach his last game. I hadn’t felt this way until recently. My reasoning is:

1. Health – No doubt he’s a tough guy, but two major surgeries take a toll. No one would blame him if he retired now.

2. Successor – JC has completely won the PR battle with Manuel. There will be no better time for JC to get his way than now. If he calls it a career, it’s Ollie’s job. All the pieces have been put in place: the great press he’s getting out on the recruiting trail, the testimonies from Allen and other former players, the respect given to him by recruits. Manuel wouldn’t dare to hire anyone else. Ollie’s a no risk hire for him. If Ollie fails, it’s not on him. If Manuel’s guy doesn’t make it, he could be out the door with him.

3. Recruiting – The uncertainty is hurting recruiting. The sooner we make the switch, the better chance we can keep the good players coming in. Keeping the players coming is vital for the next point.

4. Legacy – Not just JC’s, UConn’s. The legacy for both going forward would be for Ollie to be a success. UConn would show that they are a true program, not just the beneficiary of an all-time great coach. There would be no better time for KO to step-up to HC than this year. A year that doesn’t count, a year where mistakes would be learning opportunities, not potential season killers. It would put Ollie in the best position for him to succeed. One of Calhoun’s strengths was turning negatives into positives. This would be another example.

Next season is going to suck, no doubt. Does JC really need the aggravation and BS it will bring, especially on the road? A new coach would give this season a bit of juice. It could be a great transition year for the fans – Honoring the great HOF coach while rooting for one of his most beloved players taking the reins. All the while giving the NCAA the middle finger.

Reaction Score
Great post. I agree with all your points for reasons he could step down now. Calhoun will not want to end his career on a season like we are about to have (no NCAA or BE tournament). I think the only way Calhoun would continue is if he knew he could make it 2 more years to finish his contract and coach this team in the NCAA again.

caw

Reaction Score
I always had the feeling this would be his last year, then the bike accident happened. Now I wouldn't be surprised at all if he hung them up.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think the time has come for JC to retire and hand over the keys to someone else, presumably Ollie. I think recruiting will continue to be hurt until the uncertainty about JC's future is resolved. Of course, he has earned the right to make his own decision in his own good time. For all I know, he will return and win two more national championships just to prove me wrong! But I can't shake the feeling that it's time for JC to step aside and allow a new coach to build on his incredible legacy. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Based on the last few months, I find myself coming to the conclusion that we’ve seen the Jim Calhoun coach his last game. I hadn’t felt this way until recently. My reasoning is:

1. Health – No doubt he’s a tough guy, but two major surgeries take a toll. No one would blame him if he retired now.

2. Successor – JC has completely won the PR battle with Manuel. There will be no better time for JC to get his way than now. If he calls it a career, it’s Ollie’s job. All the pieces have been put in place: the great press he’s getting out on the recruiting trail, the testimonies from Allen and other former players, the respect given to him by recruits. Manuel wouldn’t dare to hire anyone else. Ollie’s a no risk hire for him. If Ollie fails, it’s not on him. If Manuel’s guy doesn’t make it, he could be out the door with him.

3. Recruiting – The uncertainty is hurting recruiting. The sooner we make the switch, the better chance we can keep the good players coming in. Keeping the players coming is vital for the next point.

4. Legacy – Not just JC’s, UConn’s. The legacy for both going forward would be for Ollie to be a success. UConn would show that they are a true program, not just the beneficiary of an all-time great coach. There would be no better time for KO to step-up to HC than this year. A year that doesn’t count, a year where mistakes would be learning opportunities, not potential season killers. It would put Ollie in the best position for him to succeed. One of Calhoun’s strengths was turning negatives into positives. This would be another example.

Next season is going to suck, no doubt. Does JC really need the aggravation and BS it will bring, especially on the road? A new coach would give this season a bit of juice. It could be a great transition year for the fans – Honoring the great HOF coach while rooting for one of his most beloved players taking the reins. All the while giving the NCAA the middle finger.

You call this post long ???? Why it's shorter than a quick blurb from Dogmania :)

But, seriously all good points especially the timing. The question though is does JC feel the same ?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
jc can not and will not hand over the keys until after the ncaa stuff is done. u can't let ko start off with a cloud over his head. can not! just get us to next summer jc. doesn't matter if ko/db coach every game and jc is not on the bench. its perception and jc needs to finish it. this year i think we have a good team that will surprise some. but lets be real we also have the potential to not be so good and with the ncaa stuff this would not be the way to start off under ko. if jc hung them up 2moro, warde can put in ko as a interm and get a guy next year post ncaa stuff. jc wont let that happen. hes coaching until after the ncaa is gone and the pf is built.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I don't see him letting someone else take the NCAA punishment for him unless medical conditions force the issue.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of those points; I've been thinking the same since the recent bike accident. But every time I'm about to reach the same conclusion, two things make me question it:

(1) He is one of the most stubborn SOBs on the planet, so all bets are off on the potential effect of the health concerns. I don't think he gives a crap about whether anyone could blame him if he retired now; I think the thing he needs to resolve is whether he would blame himself, and that is still a big open question in my mind. In short, I think there's a big part of JC that would haunt him for going out in a way that he would consider less than a strong finish.

(2) I think 900 wins means something to him. And, being the stubborn SOB that he is, I think there's still a strong motivation to get there, because he knows he can. Another NC within his tenure is getting less likely by the day (although I'm sure he still thinks it's right around the corner, and it could be), but he can get to 900 easily in two seasons; possibly in one. Another NC would obviously be the ultimate icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
It is annoying the way JC has handled his retirement accouncement/non announcement over the past 2 seasons. He deserves to do it his way, but the program suffers with his silence.
Having said that, unless his health stands in the way, I don't see JC retiring until the NCAA & APR penalties are resolved, and the practice facility is at least half way done.
Regarding his successor, if it's Ollie, in 2 years the timing might be right to appoint Kevin as JC's successor.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
while i don't disagree with the whole jc being stubborn thing with health and retire/don't retire thing, how much has it really hurt our program???

-we had a tough year on the court yet still had 2 top draft picks
-we won it all 2 years ago
-best player in nyc recruit wise came to us
-we already have 1 top kid for 13
-the pf is on its way

seems to me like he could make us forfeit a game and things would still be ok.

caw

Reaction Score
while i don't disagree with the whole jc being stubborn thing with health and retire/don't retire thing, how much has it really hurt our program???

-we had a tough year on the court yet still had 2 top draft picks
-we won it all 2 years ago
-best player in nyc recruit wise came to us
-we already have 1 top kid for 13
-the pf is on its way

seems to me like he could make us forfeit a game and things would still be ok.

You could argue a few additional kids would be here/committed if JC were 100% going to be here. Aside from that, it really hasn't.

Reaction Score
No way.

I think he wants 900 wins. That means he coaches in 2013-14.

I think he wants to go out on a high note. That means back in the NCAA. That means he coaches in 2013-14.

Geez, the guy won't even give up riding a bike. Think about it.

Reaction Score
I think it will be highly dependent on his health. If he is able he'll come back. If not he'll step away. I actually think it is neither in his interest nor Ollie's for him to leave now. Regardless of the truth, if he walks away now and Ollie gets the job, i twill appear to everyone outside of Connecticut that it was a stunt to get Ollie a job he wasn't getting otherwise...not of course that he intentionally had the bike accident, but the timing of his decision. In the real world, I think the Penn State situation has actually made Ollie a less likely candidate despite what you read. No AD, and no university President is going to let a coach choose his own successor. If nothing else, it just looks bad. And begs the question "what part of the Penn State situation did you not understand?"

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of those points; I've been thinking the same since the recent bike accident. But every time I'm about to reach the same conclusion, two things make me question it:

(1) He is one of the most stubborn SOBs on the planet, so all bets are off on the potential effect of the health concerns. I don't think he gives a crap about whether anyone could blame him if he retired now; I think the thing he needs to resolve is whether he would blame himself, and that is still a big open question in my mind. In short, I think there's a big part of JC that would haunt him for going out in a way that he would consider less than a strong finish.

(2) I think 900 wins means something to him. And, being the stubborn SOB that he is, I think there's still a strong motivation to get there, because he knows he can. Another NC within his tenure is getting less likely by the day (although I'm sure he still thinks it's right around the corner, and it could be), but he can get to 900 easily in two seasons; possibly in one. Another NC would obviously be the ultimate icing on the cake.
"He is one of the most stubborn SOBs on the plane"
This is the only reason I believe he'll be back. What makes sense to others doesn't apply to that thick headed Irishman.

Reaction Score
i think he's hangin' in until Warde gives in regarding Ollie, or his contract is up, whichever comes first.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It he retires now, Ollie is named interim coach at best and a full search is held after the season. JC needs to get us back to the tourny then hand it off. This year is for Ollie to make his case to be named successor next season (JC's last).

It's how I'd do it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
VG points and if it wasn't JC I would agree. I think he may name KO as coach in waiting, but don't hold your breath. I truly believe he wants one last shot at the NCAA's, so hold on tight, jimmy is going to ride that pony one more time.

Reaction Score
I personally believe Coach will retire after the Practice Facility is completed. That may happen within the last year of his contract (2013-2014?). But if the NCAA reverses the post-season ban (it may happen if UCONN wins the regular season title and the 2012 grades are "forcefully" reconsidered in recalculating the APR), allowing Coach the chance to lead the Huskies to the post-season. He could retire at the end of the upcoming season, which may still include the very likely event of the facility being completed. I cling closer, though, to the view that he will finish out his contract. Also, recruiting has not really suffered compared to the last 4 years. UCONN is still attracting a lot of 4 stars who have always been her bread and butter for the longest history. There will always be smart high school kids who will take other kids' skepticism as their gateway into UCONN's unfading glory. And it is looking more and more that Ollie will be the successor.

Reaction Score
I actually think the only reason Calhoun would retire now is if he is just physically unable to do the job. I don't know how much this latest injury took out of him, and whether being laid up will cause additional problems for the spinal stenosis (being unable to exercise can contribute to that problem).

Reactions: caw

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No way.
I think he wants 900 wins. That means he coaches in 2013-14.
I think he wants to go out on a high note. That means back in the NCAA. That means he coaches in 2013-14.
Geez, the guy won't even give up riding a bike. Think about it.

That's a good point. I'm just afraid the moment has passed, the high note was April of last year.

Reaction Score
Anybody looking to push JC out the door right now is foolish. If the man wants to return, it's because he believes he still has enough left into the tank to lead UConn on another tournament run, and there is nobody else in the country I'd rather have on the sidelines than a healthy, and inspired Jim Calhoun. If I recall, you folks were making the same arguments in 2010, and the following year we won a National Championship. The overall pesimestic mood surrounding this program right now is a bit puzzling to me. Now I understand why outsiders would be skeptical, but boneyarders? I don't get it - when is the last time a Jim Calhoun team has had back to back disappointing seasons? I'm not acting like this team is going to roll people next year, but let's be real, Calhoun has enough talented and committed players to win a good amount of games next year, and in 2013, the continuity will be that much better, and they'll make a run at a Final Four.

WHEN HAS JIM CALHOUN EVER LET US DOWN?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I would respect him retiring now if only for the reason that he can then snub his nose at the NCAA for never getting to keep him out of the tournament.

Reaction Score
He is not going out this year with the program on any kind of probation. He will coach them through it if his health allows. Name a coach in waiting for the 2014 year, finish his contract, finish the facility, finish the season in the ncaa's.
Aloha and Thank You and enjoy a well deserved retirement HOF Coach Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Great post. I agree with all your points for reasons he could step down now. Calhoun will not want to end his career on a season like we are about to have (no NCAA or BE tournament). I think the only way Calhoun would continue is if he knew he could make it 2 more years to finish his contract and coach this team in the NCAA again.

I believe the opposite ..... his stubborn self will want to take a team noone believes to be a real challenge and give the BE some hell this year.........this year is a challenge to him and he loves that!! And then he will finish out his contract, if his health is fine, and hand over the reigns to KO who will be plenty ready at that point!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom