Husky Sports Roundup, September 23 | The Boneyard

Husky Sports Roundup, September 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Note: You can view the original post here. However, my blog roundups have evolved into a more elaborate rant about UConn, and about everything in general. For instance, my lengthy discussion about the Empty Set isn't all too relevant to some people, but I like it. And I view the blog as my pet project. However, this forum is not my pet project. Which is why I will edit the post to remove additional statements that a UConn fan might not care about. (such as the empty comment). However, if you like these kind of things, you're welcome to read the blog itself to find them. For those of you who aren't, here is the simple version. If you want me to be including more or less of the original content, let me know and I will adjust. Clarification: I will NOT adjust the blog. It will be continue to be more rambling with non-specific thoughts. I'll do what I want with that, you can choose to view it or not. I will, however, adjust what I post here based on feedback. If you think I'm leaving too much out, I'll include more in the abbreviated version I post here. If you think I'm including too much, I'll keep it shorter. Your feedback is apprecaited. Now, for the news.

Women’s Soccer: The Huskies continue Big East play with a pair of games this weekend. First, they face the Louisville Cardinals tonight at 7:00 PM. Video will be available on Huskies All-Access, and WHUS will be doing the audio. Next, the Huskies will host the Cincinnati Bearcats on Sunday at 1:00 PM. That game will also be on All-Access. The Cardinals are 1-0-1 in the Big East and 3-4-2 overall, tying them for second in the National Division. Cincy is 1-1-0 and 5-3-2 overall. The Huskies are also 1-1-0 in Big East play, plus 4-4-0 overall. They are one game behind West Virginia and Marquette in the American Division. On next Friday night (the 30th) the Huskies will head to South Bend to face Notre Dame in a matchup televised by ESPNU. That will be big.
Women’s Volleyball: The Huskies are in Cincinnati tonight at 7:30 PM before traveling to Louisville Sunday at 2:00 PM. This is the first two Big East games of the season. The Cincinnati game will be available on the Bearcats’ website for viewing. Ditto for the Louisville game and the Cards’ site.
Men’s Soccer: The Huskies will face their archrival #12 ranked St. John’s Red Storm on Saturday night in front of a predicted sell-out. Only 500 tickets remain so buy soon. And wear white since it’s a White Out. For those unable to attend, tune into WHUS or Huskies All-Access. Update: As I wrote this, I was updated that the St. John’s game is now SOLD OUT. Let’s hope all the season ticket holders actually show up, or if they can’t, give/sell their tickets to a friend. To any season ticket holder who can’t go for whatever reason, please let someone else have your tickets. Give them to a friend, or sell them. But let Morrone Stadium be packed.
Women’s Ice Hockey: The women’s ice hockey team plays their first and only exhibition contest of the season against McGill tonight at 7:00 PM. Next weekend, they have a pair of games against RPI on Friday and Saturday to get the regular season underway.
Football: The Huskies travel to Buffalo, tomorrow at 6 PM. Hopefully the Huskies can get on the right path with a win over the lowly Bulls. But hopefully they should have beaten Vandy and Iowa State and that didn’t happen. So I’m not counting on it. If we had a remotely competent QB, we could be amazing. We don’t. At the same time, I’m not counting this season out yet. Last year, we started 1-2 including a loss at Temple. Everyone said we were done. Then, we started 3-4 after losses to Rutgers and Louisville. Everyone said we were done. Then came a Dave Teggart kick against West Virginia in OT and everything changed. Anything could happen.

Field Hockey: The #4 Huskies will look to bounce back from their first loss of the season as they travel to Rhode Island to face Providence. The Huskies are 1-0 in the Big East and 6-1 overall. The Friars are 3-6 overall and this will be their Big East opener. The Huskies will go on to host UMass on Wednesday at 7:00 PM and Louisville on Saturday the 1st of October at noon.

Reaction Score
Football: The Huskies travel to Buffalo tonight to face the Buffalo Bulls. The Huskies are 1-2 while Buffalo has the same record. The Huskies will look to turn the season around tonight. Kickoff is at 6:00 PM on SNY and Big East Regional Television.
Men's Soccer: WHITE OUT tonight at home vs. St. John's. The game is SOLD OUT. The Red Storm are #12 in the country and we are #2. With the Maryland draw earlier this week, we could be #1 if we win. Huge Goal Patrol meeting at 6 PM. Too bad I'm not on campus now. For the most part I've come to deal with the fact that I'm not at school this semester. It's going to be hard tonight. But at least I can watch it online. Video streaming is available on Huskies All-Access and audio on WHUS.
Women's Volleyball: The Huskies lost to the Cincinnati Bearcats 3-0 in a sweep. The Huskies are 0-1 in the Big East and will take on Louisville on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 PM. Next weekend, the Huskies will be back at home, with a pair of games against Marquette (October 1, 2:00 PM) and Syracuse (October 2, 2:00 PM).
Women's Soccer: The Huskies tied Louiville 2-2 in double overtime. The game was an action-packed contest with the teams totaling 18 shots in the second half alone. The Huskies are 4-4-1 overall and 1-1-1 in the Big East. Next up, the team will face Cincinnati on 1 PM Saturday.
Women's Ice Hockey: The Huskies drew McGill 2-2 in an exhibition thanks to a goal from Maggie Walsh with 18 seconds left in regulation. The Martlets dominated the game, though, outshooting the Huskies 43-19. On a side note, the obvious questionz: what is a martlet? Apparenty it's a stylized drawing of a bird with feathered tufts instead of legs. Huh?
Field Hockey: The Huskies will travel to Providence at 1:00 PM today. We are ranked #4 in the country and are 1-0 in the Big East. This is the Friars' conference opener.
Original post here

UPDATE 3:08 PM EDT; UConn defeated Providence in Field Hockey 4-0. Anne Jeute scored a goal 3:13 into the first half, while Chloe Hunnable recorded three goals of her own as the Huskies rolled to victory. Next up, the Huskies will host the UMass Minutewomen on Wednesday night at 7:30 PM. At that point, I will be in synagogue at Erev Rosh Hashanah services. I will be in Temple for the better part of Wednesday evening to Friday afternoon, though the holiday will end well in time for me to watch the UConn-Notre Dame women’s soccer game on ESPNU Friday night. Whether a Yankees postseason game conflicts it, remains to be seen however. In any case, don’t expect any posts from Wednesday night to Friday evening. Maybe something as I’m watching the UConn-ND game just to catch up. If not, I’ll probably post something later that night, although it depends on the Yankees playoff game too.

In the expanded (or as my critics would say, rambling and incoherent) version of this post, I discuss why "Minitewomen" actually furthers the sexism it seeks to avoid. Go here to read it. The long rant was not included until the 3:08 update, so if you read it before then, you didn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom