Husky Offense This Season | The Boneyard

Husky Offense This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As the summer heat dissipates, and we turn to fall, a young man's fancy turns to WCBB.

This site has been full of interest in next year's recruits and the clear expectation that our next NC is just around the corner (2018). Some have started to speculate on the purported strength of this year's team, particularly on the defensive end. The outlook there is good. We have athletic and ferocious rebounders and defenders in Napheesa, Gabby, and Kia. Lou will add some D, too, and I expect Kyla to be a big help. But what about the offense?

Last season the Big 3+Kia contributed around 55 points/game. When Lou started hitting her shots, the five starters became unbeatable—by wide margins. Whatever others chipped in was welcome but not decisive. So where are the points coming from this year? No one knows for sure.

Most of the offensive production should come from Lou. Can she approach Bre's average of almost 20 points/game? Yes—IF she shoots more often closer to the rim where the high percentage shots come. Lou must drive to the basket, take short jumpers, put in some defensive rebounds, AND score from the perimeter. Kia will give the team a reliable 10 for a total of 30 points. Collier and Gabby contributed seven and nine respectively last year; this year we'll hope to get more like 10 from each (total of 50 points from 4 starters). Depending on her health, Saniya might also score 10 per, and let's assume that Crystal gets about the same (last year the guards scored about 20+ per); total is up to 70. I'm going to pencil in 10 from Kyla, too, so we're up to 80. Except for Butler, who got almost 6 last season, that's it.

Best case scenario: 80 points/game. (This assumes health and few fouls because the bench is non-existent—and no Polly at the Buzzer.) With the predictably stingy defense, UConn should do very well. Only Lou will feel the weight of scoring expectations in my scenario, the others just need to get a consistent handful of points to get to 80.

Couple strong D with steady O and you get DO; the Huskies may do it again. I feel better already.

Reaction Score
I think scoring is going to be a year long struggle for this team. KLS is really the only "true scorer" they have, and she is going to face opposing teams best defenders this year. I think this UConn team will struggle to score 70.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I see higher points from Collier & Gabby as starters, maybe in the 13/14 realm.
Given our opponents weaknesses, I can see Butler's height, and the ability of others to get her the ball
in the right place, realizing 10 or more easy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Butler is to my mind the key player in how the offense runs this coming year. Ideally we see more of a Stef type of offense from four years ago with Butler switching between high and low post, and the offense cutting off of her in the high post, and feeding her in the low post. If she stays healthy and contributes with Kyla as her sub in a similar role it will be a very different type of offense from what we had the last couple of years. If she doesn't blossom, then it will become a small ball offense and defense, and will be more of a struggle.

I doubt Lou approaches 20/game 15-17 is much more likely, but I could see a team with 5 players averaging double digit scoring, and a few more in the 7-9 range which would be very good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think scoring is going to be a year long struggle for this team. KLS is really the only "true scorer" they have, and she is going to face opposing teams best defenders this year. I think this UConn team will struggle to score 70.
You have to go back to 2004-5 for a Uconn team that struggled to score 70, they ended the year at 70.6/game. 2002-3 after the TASS graduated they scored 74.8, and 03-4 scored 75.5. The years after 04-5 were as follows: 72.8, 77.2, 81.2, 83.9, 81.1, 76.6, 76.4, 82.5, 82.1, 89.3, 88.1

My guess is that the floor will be around 75 points and if the season goes well 80 points. More than half of their regular season games will be conference games and the American is not as strong as the BE of the mid 2000s. And half of their post season games will not be against stellar competition.

(red is championship seasons, blue is semifinal losses - damn ND! :))

Reaction Score
Kia is also a good score player.

Reaction Score
I see higher points from Collier & Gabby as starters, maybe in the 13/14 realm.
Given our opponents weaknesses, I can see Butler's height, and the ability of others to get her the ball
in the right place, realizing 10 or more easy.

So you think you will get the same production out of Collier and Williams as you got out of 2 All Americans(Tuck and Jefferson) last year?

Reaction Score
Kia is also a good score player.

When I say "true scorer" I am referring to player that can create their own shot, score in different ways, and make clutch shots.

Reaction Score
KLS is really the only "true scorer" they have, and she is going to face opposing teams best defenders this year.
I'm more optimistic about Lou's scoring this year. Not only has she got a great 3-point shot, but 1. she has a nice mid-range jumper off the dribble and 2. was fearless in driving to the hoop, often drawing contact and the foul. With the big 3 around last year, she didn't get the picks and screens that will be set for her this year. She's got the killer instinct, and I suspect we'll see new moves and shots developed over the summer. As well, she showed herself to be a superb passer with great court vision. After her being double-teamed and dumping it off quickly to Napheesa or Gabby for an easy shot, defenses will have to play her more straight-up.

What everyone's thinking about UConn's offensive limitations is what the coaching staff has spent the summer working to overcome, oh ye of little faith. :)

Reaction Score
So you think you will get the same production out of Collier and Williams as you got out of 2 All Americans(Tuck and Jefferson) last year?
I do...IMO Gabby and Collier will average more than Tuck and Mo...that doesn't mean they will be more effective overall ...in fact, Lou , Gabby and Collier will all be strong offensively and rack up a lot of offensive rebounds....what they won't be able to do this year is replace Stewies defensive presence, Mo's floor generalship and the collective and individual leadership of our beloved, departed Big 3

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As the summer heat dissipates, and we turn to fall, a young man's fancy turns to WCBB.

This site has been full of interest in next year's recruits and the clear expectation that our next NC is just around the corner (2018). Some have started to speculate on the purported strength of this year's team, particularly on the defensive end. The outlook there is good. We have athletic and ferocious rebounders and defenders in Napheesa, Gabby, and Kia. Lou will add some D, too, and I expect Kyla to be a big help. But what about the offense?

Last season the Big 3+Kia contributed around 55 points/game. When Lou started hitting her shots, the five starters became unbeatable—by wide margins. Whatever others chipped in was welcome but not decisive. So where are the points coming from this year? No one knows for sure.

Most of the offensive production should come from Lou. Can she approach Bre's average of almost 20 points/game? Yes—IF she shoots more often closer to the rim where the high percentage shots come. Lou must drive to the basket, take short jumpers, put in some defensive rebounds, AND score from the perimeter. Kia will give the team a reliable 10 for a total of 30 points. Collier and Gabby contributed seven and nine respectively last year; this year we'll hope to get more like 10 from each (total of 50 points from 4 starters). Depending on her health, Saniya might also score 10 per, and let's assume that Crystal gets about the same (last year the guards scored about 20+ per); total is up to 70. I'm going to pencil in 10 from Kyla, too, so we're up to 80. Except for Butler, who got almost 6 last season, that's it.

Best case scenario: 80 points/game. (This assumes health and few fouls because the bench is non-existent—and no Polly at the Buzzer.) With the predictably stingy defense, UConn should do very well. Only Lou will feel the weight of scoring expectations in my scenario, the others just need to get a consistent handful of points to get to 80.

Couple strong D with steady O and you get DO; the Huskies may do it again. I feel better already.
If she puts in DEFENSIVE rebounds she will be scoring for the other team!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do...IMO Gabby and Collier will average more than Tuck and Mo...that doesn't mean they will be more effective overall ...in fact, Lou , Gabby and Collier will all be strong offensively and rack up a lot of offensive rebounds....what they won't be able to do this year is replace Stewies defensive presence, Mo's floor generalship and the collective and individual leadership of our beloved, departed Big 3
I have great hope that Crystal will fill the game manager role and be more of an offensive weapon than Moriah was as a Freshmen or Sophmore. What gives me great hope is the field generalship she displayed with A'ja Wilson, Napheesa Collier, Azura... and the USA basketball U19 team in 2015.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If she puts in DEFENSIVE rebounds she will be scoring for the other team!!!
Following in the tradition of a Uconn legend - one Swin Cash. Not a bad player to emulate, just as long as she doesn't make a habit of it! :cool:

Reaction Score
I have great hope that Crystal will fill the game manager role and be more of an offensive weapon than Moriah was as a Freshmen or Sophmore. What gives me great hope is the field generalship she displayed with A'ja Wilson, Napheesa Collier, Azura... and the USA basketball U19 team in 2015.

3 UConners, Napheesa, Azura and Crystal were in the first Q.
Azura was super good why Geno didn't recruit her ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
3 UConners, Napheesa, Azura and Crystal were in the first Q.
Azura was super good why Geno didn't recruit her ?
I have expressed disagreement with UCONN's recruiting strategy during that time but not specifically with Azura. UCONN seemed to be focused exclusively on Turner and Wilson in that class and in the next class exclusively on Cox and Brown to a lesser extent. In the process some very post players slipped by. Three of them are in this game (Azura Stevens , Chatric White,& Kristine Anigwe) . To be fair I have no Idea if or what consideration the UCONN staff gave to these players, and Stevens was a Parade All-American and was ranked in 30ish. I damn glad we have her now.

Reaction Score
I have expressed disagreement with UCONN's recruiting strategy during that time but not specifically with Azura. UCONN seemed to be focused exclusively on Turner and Wilson in that class and in the next class exclusively on Cox and Brown to a lesser extent. In the process some very post players slipped by. Three of them are in this game (Azura Stevens , Chatric White,& Kristine Anigwe) . To be fair I have no Idea if or what consideration the UCONN staff gave to these players, and Stevens was a Parade All-American and was ranked in 30ish. I damn glad we have her now.
So glad We finally have Azura. Her 3 can be almost as good as Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
When you take a vacation half the fun is reading up on the places you will see and the things you will do. Sometimes they will exceed your expectations - other times not so much. Speculation about the up coming season also is fun - will the team fulfill our expectations - time will tell. All I know is last season the huskies had us booked on the Queen Mary and a glorious time was had by all. This season they booked us on a raft and are going to take us white water rafting. I for one have my life jacket ready for this wild ride. But oh - its going to be so much fun.

Reaction Score

Love your positive beliefs--This year Uconn needs more positive fans and less detractors..

In KLS's last 6 or 8 games she proved she could ( and did) attack/drive to the basket. She took accurate shots from inside the top of the key. Don't worry about her--20 plus points are in her bag of tricks!! Think Chong may get 10 point per game is a super WISH--she had the potential, no doubt but you only saw that potential against Stanford. Actually, that proves she could do it then--but now?
I think you miss expect points from Collier and possible from Gabby--she double figured last year. A healthy Collier, not in anyone's shadow, can and shall score above 10 points in most games. Kia--she could be a scoring leader --if the mood strikes her.
Kayla and Crystal --in the future will be 10 points or above scorers--but early this year?? Got to see how they perform in the Div 1 atmosphere.\
The focus, initially , of defenses shall be Katie Lou and Kia. But I think Geno will compensate for that by using an open Gabby or Collier for more points. Even with heavy focus Katie Lou will get 20 or more the kid can score..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I won't even think about predicting individual ppg, mpg, etc. I'll stick my neck out just far enough to project 80+ ppg as a team and that most opponents will struggle to get 50+. About 4 of them may pass 6o, even 70, and maybe even 80.

Team defense will be dominant. I like our chances.:)

Reaction Score
Team defense will be dominant. I like our chances.:)
Agreed. Folks who have some concerns about offensive production may well have a point. If those concerns prove valid, there may well be a diminished value in MOV per game, but most opposing teams will still struggle to break 50...a number with which it's pretty tough to win.

Reaction Score

Recruiting isn't always about who YOU want--some kids are immediate turnoff--some make it plain any place but Uconn or develop that mentality after hearing some coaches diss Uconn--so the choice isn't as easy as we'd like to think--us Uconn fan think every great player want to play at Uconn for Geno--shocking--some don't.
I too am happy with the Transfers (all 3) and some of the new pickups (a bit of a wait and see --but I like Crystal's play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom