Husky Football Team Taking Bus To Phila | The Boneyard

Husky Football Team Taking Bus To Phila

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was told UConn Football team is taking the bus to Phila as a cost cutting move.

"With an overall athletics budget of $71.5 million last year, UConn had the 40th largest sports budget among public universities with Division 1 teams. Asked last week by faculty about the expense of sports programs, UConn Provost Mun Choi said budget officials are working to reduce costs.

"How do you increase revenue? Ticket sales help, a winning football team helps. Realignment of the conference and getting a better TV contract helps. We are thinking about the revenue side very, very carefully. At the same time, reducing the cost of travel helps. So this is something we discuss all the time and you will see more progress in that area," said Choi."

Reaction Score
bdb25229544941.55f847ca19368.jpg
Sharing the hockey team bus. Gotta save that cash.

Reaction Score
I doubt that's the reason...maybe but having travelled to philly a few times I'd say it's a push as to whether driving or flying is quicker. If they were going to Miami that would be one thing but Philly not so much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will thry still have stewardesses walking up and down the aisle serving peanuts?

Throwback. Traveling to a football game by bus. Imagine that. Avoid the bathrooms at the Vince Lombardi rest stop. You can hold it.
One of the perks of the AAC, all the road trip game.

Reaction Score
We're taking the train Friday from Boston for the Temple game so I understand the efficacy of non-air travel, especially when it's not for a business purpose. My comment had to do with past years flights by the team to Phila vs this year's bus being indicative of increased belt tightening. That has less to do with our non P-5 conference affiliation and its diminished allocation as it does with placating faculty and students over student fee subsidies for athletics. This is the new paradigm.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
We're taking the train Friday from Boston for the Temple game so I understand the efficacy of non-air travel, especially when it's not for a business purpose. My comment had to do with past years flights by the team to Phila vs this year's bus being indicative of increased belt tightening. That has less to do with our non P-5 conference affiliation and its diminished allocation as it does with placating faculty and students over student fee subsidies for athletics. This is the new paradigm.

I'm not even sure that's it. Someone just probably said, "You know flying to Philly doesn't make much sense... plus we'll save cash." I'm honestly surprised they ever flew. Did they fly to Rutgers?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

With the additional security + holiday may be reading too much into it.

Reaction Score
Old school baby. Back when UConn played Nova & Delaware annually, buses would leave campus Thursday after an early practice, drive to Meadowlands area and stay overnight in a hotel. Wake up, breakfast, then drive to the stadium for lunch, a walk thru practice, head to the hotel for dinner and team meetings.

Reaction Score
Anyone have connections that can share the route or timing? Fans not going to the game can gather and wave to the buses from some highway overpass.

Reaction Score
It's probably within an hour difference between flying or driving.

You would get on a bus in Storrs ride to Windsor Locks. Load the plane, taxi for 10 to 15 minutes, fly for 35 minutes, taxi for another 15 minutes, unload the plane. Get on buses and ride to the hotel. From Storrs to the hotel is probably a two and a half hours plus.

Or get on the bus in Storrs, drive for about three and a half hours, and get off at the hotel.

Not a huge saving but certainly thousands of bucks.

Reaction Score

You would get on a bus in Storrs ride to Windsor Locks. Load the plane, taxi for 10 to 15 minutes, fly for 35 minutes, taxi for another 15 minutes, unload the plane. Get on buses and ride to the hotel. From Storrs to the hotel is probably a two and a half hours plus.

Or get on the bus in Storrs, drive for about three and a half hours, and get off at the hotel.

Personally , I'd rather take a train from New Haven to Phila. Riding a bus is the pits, particularly with huge football players. Actually taking a train , if done right, can be a team building exercise. I think the Eagles and Giants have done it a few times as have the Bears and the Rams.
In any event, I think your timetable is pretty optimistic. I've done the Bradley-Philadelphia flight many times. I think the only time I've done it in 35 minutes is late at night when they are trying to catch up on the schedule. Also, Philadelphia has become one of the worst airports for delays. This isn't to say there will not be traffic delays in taking a bus or train.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More common than you think. Alabama rides a bus the day of the game when they play Miss St. Auburn/Georgia do the same when they play. Florida/Florida St? Same thing.

Reaction Score
The actual wheels up to touchdown from bdl to phl is around 50 minutes, so add another 15 to my estimate.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

You're probably closer to 4:30 - 5 hours going at bus speeds.

Reaction Score
It's an easy drive. We make the trip to Rentschler for all home games from Delaware - 1/2 hour further south of the Linc. Our fastest time is 3 1/2 hrs, typically an easy 4 to 4:15. That includes the pain in the butt delays on either the GW or Tappan Zee.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I need to find out when on Friday they are leaving. I might just follow them down. "draft" behind the buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom