Huskies of Honor

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by defaultroute, Dec 6, 2011.

1. defaultroute

defaultroute Popular Poster

It looks like Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon and Caron Butler will be inducted to the Huskies of Honor but it's on hold now. Kyle, @uconnmbbsid, tweeted this a fews mins ago.
  2. Letsgohuskies11

Letsgohuskies11 Popular Poster

nice although im not sure why Rudy Gay would be invited to the Huskies of Honor, maybe for his performance in the NBA but certainly not Uconn, like his interview said , he left with feeling he could have done more
  3. CAHUSKY

CAHUSKY UConn Class of 2013

For his potential to donate money for a new basketball practice facility.
    UConn4ever and fleudslipcon like this.
  4. Waquoit

Waquoit Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky

On hold? WTF? Who the hell is charge up there?
  5. Deadrody

Deadrody Popular Poster

Maybe they are reconsidering why they would include Rudy Gay with Caron and Ben. One of these things is not like the other things.
  6. huskiesNhoos

huskiesNhoos Popular Poster

Do you guys already forget that he was a first team all American? Everyone expected that team to win it all but with that many NBA players on one team Rudy never got to be the superstar we all knew he could be. I have no problem with him being inducted. Congrats to all 3 husky greats!
    uconnfan68 and UConnSwag11 like this.
  7. defaultroute

defaultroute Popular Poster

It looks like it's on hold pending the NBA game schedule
  8. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

its about time... i always thought and felt ben should be up there and I'm glad rudy and caron are on there too
  9. Robertelamin

Robertelamin Popular Poster

Congrats to those 3! Can we get Khalid up there already? Jeez...
  10. Huskies04Life

Huskies04Life Active Member

Looks like they're gonna wait to see the schedule and pick a date when all 3 of them can make it. Too bad training camp opens up the day after they had plans on doing it. Congrats to all 3 of them including Rudy!! Ben Gordon being honored is LONG overdue, better late than never though.
  11. mauconnfan

mauconnfan Popular Poster

Glad for all 3 although I laugh when people say Rudy didn't have a good career......let's see left as a soph. and was a lottery pick? Rudy's problem wasn't all Rudy it was the team he played with as history proved...prototypical big tweener as an SF, not a great handle when he left but got a lot better as many big guys do. Yet he was an excellent all around player while a Husky for 2 years and if he stayed 3 there would have been no doubt!!
  12. Robertelamin

Robertelamin Popular Poster

There are definitely a handful of players that deserve it over Rudy but whatever, good for him.
  13. huskyjawz

huskyjawz Popular Poster

who's saying he didn't have a "good career"? The ring of honor is a little more selective then players with good careers. It is also irrelevant his NBA draft position or what he would have done in his third year. It is for what you accomplished on the court, which for him was very little in terms of consideration for the ring.
  14. huskyjawz

huskyjawz Popular Poster

2nd team.
  15. UCHuskies08

UCHuskies08 Popular Poster

Um no, they're not going to publicly insult Rudy Gay.

There are plenty of programs that would kill to have Rudy Gay as an alumnus.
    zls44 likes this.
  16. zls44

zls44 W.E.B.B. Site 4 Life

The degree to which people bash Rudy Gay's UConn career has always miffed me.
    UConnSwag11 likes this.
  17. HeGotGame

HeGotGame Soft and Heartless

Welcome to the internet message board era..

People bash with little to no perspective. Congrats to all 3.
  18. majikman

majikman New Member

Both Caron and Rudy automatically qualify as All-Americans. Ben meets many qualifications, despite not being an All-American. There is also a five-year waiting period, only waived for Nat'l Player of the Year honors (i.e. Emeka). Kemba was a once in a lifetime opportunity that no one could argue with either. The biggest issue UConn has is finding dates at Gampel that guys can make it back. But, it is definitely a priority to get these done this year. And, no, potential donation has nothing at all to do with it. These are and will be the best of the best at UConn only.
  19. Letsgohuskies11

I agree, I think people have Rudy's NBA career clouded in their minds. Rudy was great at Uconn at making the highlight dunk reel, he was a good player but a Husky of Honor ?? I dont think so. Unless we are going to put Rashad, Dyson, Marcus Williams etc in that category. From what I remember of Rudy, he settled way too much on jump shots and 3 point shooting and didnt take it to the hole enough (maybe a product of not great handles). Like I said hes had a great NBA career so far but I dont know if that warrants a Husky Of Honor title. I dont know, I'd have to look at the numbers again. He also didnt take many big shots, never took over games. He was certainly was drafted high for his potential which he has lived up to.
    Waquoit likes this.
  20. Gurleyman

Gurleyman Popular Poster

Rudy was a first team All-American by the NABC (second-team by the Associated Press) and was one of four finalists for the National Player of the Year as a sophomore. How does that not warrant a spot in a Ring of Honor? He definitely would have fallen short of having his jersey retired (if we retired them), but this is just honoring people who accomplished great things and it doesn't exactly put us out to honor him. I don't know where the magical cutoff line is, but being a first-team All-American should be above that line. Like I said, he would be far more conspicious by his absence than his presence.
  21. zls44

Completely inaccurate.

Guy was a POY finalist and All-American on a team that won the school's last Big East Regular Season title & made the Elite 8. But because of who they lost to, people take shots. In the Mason game, he played 42 minutes, scored 20 points and had 6 rebounds. In the Kentucky game, he scored 19 points. In the Washington game, he drew/baited Brandon Roy into picking up fouls 3 and 4, the only reason they won the game.

He won as many National Championships as Ray Allen and Caron Butler. He went to class. He didn't get arrested. He was good to the media.

But he still has haters. From his supposed fanbase. It's completely insane and exactly what's wrong with UConn fans. Bitching & a false sense of entitlement.
  22. Migs

Migs "Let me get your attention"

Congrats to the trio, all greats.

I'm surprised Boatright hasn't been nominated by some on here.
    Robertelamin, msgordon and zls44 like this.
  23. Letsgohuskies11

He finished his Uconn career with a 13.2 ppg and 6 rbgs a game. He was a solid player but like what has been said before, there are other Uconn players that have had similar careers. When I think of huskies of honor, I think of guys that have carried teams on their back. Took their teams to the next level. Maybe those Uconn teams were too talented for him to get more touches. I admit, I didnt realize his sophmore numbers were as good as they were. He averages 15.2 ppg his sophmore season. I dont know, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Not sure where in my post I deserve to be attacked by thinking I have a sense of entitlement or that he should have average 30 and 10.
  24. zls44

Just because he didn't hit his ceiling at UConn does not mean he was not one of the best players in America when he was here. The arguments are not attached.
    UConnSwag11 likes this.
  25. huskyjawz

huskyjawz Popular Poster

you're all that's wrong with UCONN fans.

I'm the greatest UCONN fan of all time, because Rudy's an NBA star so I idolize him.
  26. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U Popular Poster

Good point...hard to see Khalid not being up there with these three getting the call. I would see Khalid and Ben being the first two, with Caron just below, then Rudy trailing. Caron was only here two years and did not come away with an NC, but he did have an amazing run down the stretch of his soph year. Okay, put him up with Khalid and Ben.
  27. Waquoit

Waquoit Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky

Because someone isn't as big of a Gay guy as you doesn't make them a hater.
    Letsgohuskies11 and EricCantona like this.
  28. Gurleyman

Gurleyman Popular Poster

He was just on a balanced team with four seniors and two juniors, all of whom (other than Ed Nelson) were borderline NBA guys. Had he come back for his junior year, he probably would've had a Caronesque "put the team on your back" sort of season. But he was still considered one of the four best players in the country as a sophomore by the Naismith Committee. Caron was in a different situation, leading a young team. Ben played on a team with two starters who didn't even really try to score (Taliek, Josh) so he was often splitting the offensive load 3 ways (Emeka and Rashad/Denham) instead of 5.

But all three clearly belong up there. There's no finite number of people we can put in the Ring of Honor. If UConn at some point decided that they wanted to honor Ricky Moore and Rashamel Jones together for being the captains of our first national championship team and for putting "team before self", I'd stand and applaud both of them and not even glance at their stats.
    fleudslipcon likes this.
  29. Letsgohuskies11

true, maybe it was just me but I always thought Rudy was too tentative with the ball. I thought he was just a complete mismatch on anyone who was guarding him due to his length and athleticism. I thought guys like him should have had the ball in their hands at the end of the GMason game to take it to the rack (no offense to denham).
  30. Gurleyman

Gurleyman Popular Poster

Rudy would have been a monster offensively as a college four, but it was tougher for him to use his face-up game in college against smaller players. He could shoot over the top easily, but he couldn't take anyone off the dribble because the guy guarding him usually had better foot speed, so having the ball in his hands to create his own offense wasn't a successful recipe. We tried from time to time, but it usually resulted in Rudy forcing a shot over a defender in position.

We ran a lot of stuff for Donyell his junior year as if he was a three-man, and it would have been nice to have the same offense for Rudy, where he could come off a screen and catch and shoot in rhythm. But Donyell had Donny beside him at the other forward who could also go inside or out, and it made them more inter-changable - usually Donyell had a slower power forward on him, while Donny was covered by a wing. Rudy never had that luxury of being guarded by a slower guy, since it was always some combination of Jeff-Hilton-Josh-Ed Nelson being covered by the other team's bigs.
Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex