Hurley / Auriemma | The Boneyard

Hurley / Auriemma

Reaction Score
Serious question - I don't live on the East coast and don't see the program on a day to day basis. But a lot of what I hear about how Coach Hurley runs the Men's program (recruiting certain types of players, runs difficult practices, demands focus 100% of the time, and most importantly gets the players to buy into it all), reminds me of Coach Auriemma and how he has run the Women's program. Even the press conferences where he'll say things to take any heat off of the players. I am curious to hear from any of you who do have more insight if you also see similarities, and what any major differences might be.

Reaction Score
I see Geno's name all over hurley's offense. He even talks about offense the same way Geno does. building sets from rules and principles about where you should be and what you should be doing in a given situation, rather than basic fixed sets. The screening, the cutting, the working for the best shot.

Reaction Score
I’ve felt this way the last two years. Unlike Calhoun (didn’t need to) and Ollie (didn’t think he needed to), it seems like Hurley really picked Geno’s brain about what it takes to be the best.

Reaction Score
Is it Geno or are they Euroleague offensive concepts that Dan incorporated?

I understand both can be true, but it's kind of lazy to say Hurley selectively plucked genius from Geno's brain.

I think it boils down to the advanced analytics the Coaching staff uses. They use their metrics and their findings to install what is working in Basketball at the highest levels. A lot of our sets, including the exciting ones you won't find Women's basketball are all Euroball Actions, such as the Alley Screen. We use them because of their efficacy.

I do think that some of Hurley's 12-15 second Action sets may indeed be inspired by the Women's Team. That level of patience doesn't seem to really exist in Men's College ball among the major Conferences.

However, the complex double drag screens that Geno runs are also run by Ed Cooley. My point is basketball can be extremly complex, even outside of Uconn lol, and inspiration can be taken from anywhere.

Reaction Score
No. Just no. And if you needed it spelled out there was even an article on it.

Reaction Score
I’ve felt this way the last two years. Unlike Calhoun (didn’t need to) and Ollie (didn’t think he needed to), it seems like Hurley really picked Geno’s brain about what it takes to be the best.
I think Luke most influential in evolution of UConn offense. Geno and Jim great resources, But more peripheral

Reaction Score
I’ve always said Hurley is more geno than he is Jim or even Bob Sr. Why wouldn’t he try to be? He has the most rings in history.

Reaction Score
Is it Geno or are they Euroleague offensive concepts that Dan incorporated?

I understand both can be true, but it's kind of lazy to say Hurley selectively plucked genius from Geno's brain.

I think it boils down to the advanced analytics the Coaching staff uses. They use their metrics and their findings to install what is working in Basketball at the highest levels. A lot of our sets, including the exciting ones you won't find Women's basketball are all Euroball Actions, such as the Alley Screen. We use them because of their efficacy.

I do think that some of Hurley's 12-15 second Action sets may indeed be inspired by the Women's Team. That level of patience doesn't seem to really exist in Men's College ball among the major Conferences.

However, the complex double drag screens that Geno runs are also run by Ed Cooley. My point is basketball can be extremly complex, even outside of Uconn lol, and inspiration can be taken from anywhere.
One of the better posts I’ve seen!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom