HS Rankings - Late Aug Update | The Boneyard

HS Rankings - Late Aug Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With updates by ASGR and ProspectsNation, lots of new data to feed into the spreadsheet!

Upgraded ratings has nudged Kentucky ahead of Duke for #2. While our ol pal Kim Barnes-Arico has probably the best class in MI history.

2015HS_082514 - top20class.png

Reaction Score
Butler lands a top 50 player and climbs into the top 25!

Highest AAC team after UConn: Tulane at #46.

2015HS_082514 - 21to40class.png

Reaction Score
Compared to the composite rankings from late May, not a lot of movement -- most players moved just 1 spot.

Exceptions:
Boykin fell #10 to #12, Watts #19 to #22, and Robinson #21 to #24
Patberg rose #18 to #16, Mompremier #23 to #19

2015HS_082514 - top25plyr.png

Reaction Score
16/50, 30/100, 53/150 have yet to verbal:

Top players:

#2 Asia Durr (GA) -- ND, Duke, MD, Bay, Lou (8/4/14)
#6 Arike Ogunbowale (WI) -- Lou, ND, OhioSt, UCLA, Wisc (7/13/14)
#8 Kalani Brown (LA) -- Baylor, LSU, TAMU, UConn, Tenn, Lou, UNC, Ga, Fla, Hou (7/17/14)
#14 Teniya Page (IL) -- B10, B12, SEC (May)

#19 Beatrice Mompremier (FL) -- Miami, Bay, Fla, Fla St, GA, Lou, LSU, UNC, ND, OhioSt, SC(7/24/14)
#21 Teaira McCowan (TX) -- TAMU, Baylor, Lou, others
#24 Caliya Robinson (GA)
#27 Destinee Walker (FL) -- ND, UNC, Penn St, SC, GA, FlaSt, Duke (7/18/14)

#30 Crystal Primm (FL) -- Duke, USC, Aub, OhioSt, USF (8/4/14) <-- eclectic list!
#36 Mone' Jones (NC) -- UNC, Va, TAMU, LSU, WV, PnSt
#37 Aliyah Mazyck (NC)
#38 Aliyah Jeune (NJ) -- Rutgers, MD, NC St, others

#40 Tynice Martin (GA)
#46 Jonquanae Cole (VA)
#48 Erin DeGrate (TX) -- Bay, Tenn, TAMU, Lou, KS, TxTch, Wash (8/2/14)
#50 Kaylan Pugh (TN)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With updates by ASGR and ProspectsNation, lots of new data to feed into the spreadsheet!

Upgraded ratings has nudged Kentucky ahead of Duke for #2. While our ol pal Kim Barnes-Arico has probably the best class in MI history.

View attachment 6677
Pleae help me out with this VG. It seems quantity is over-rated comppared to quality. Example: Texas with a 5 and a 9 is rated well below Kentucky with 17, 25, 51 and 125. Seems like the 51 and 125 are having a very great affect. How good can they be or even how accurately can they be ranked? If I were a coach I'd take the 2 and the 5 and go look for a couple bodies if I needed more.

Reaction Score
Pleae help me out with this VG. It seems quantity is over-rated comppared to quality. Example: Texas with a 5 and a 9 is rated well below Kentucky with 17, 25, 51 and 125. Seems like the 51 and 125 are having a very great affect. How good can they be or even how accurately can they be ranked? If I were a coach I'd take the 2 and the 5 and go look for a couple bodies if I needed more.

Ha, yes, I knew I'd get comments about that. Designing a ranking system is not easy, nor can you test out every possible permutation. I did, however, want to reward getting a lot of good players, and not just one great player.

Previously I used to just add the points of each recruit to get the school's total (a pure sum). A year or two ago, I added a diminishing returns feature so that each subsequent player adds less and less. Basically, I combine the average of the ratings (thus high quality is rewarded) and a sum of the ratings (since 1 player can't do it all).

I don't generally make tweaks during the year, and certainly not this late in the season, so that I'm not biasing my results to favor UConn or any other team I like. I will certainly, however, think in the offseason if further methodological changes could improve things.

Reaction Score
I will also point out that ONLY at UConn is a recruit in the second 50 not considered very good. Many schools have done well, indeed very well, with players ranked "so" lowly.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
TN is recruiting Brown, Mompremier, Feuhring, & DeGrate

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ha, yes, I knew I'd get comments about that. Designing a ranking system is not easy, nor can you test out every possible permutation. I did, however, want to reward getting a lot of good players, and not just one great player.

Previously I used to just add the points of each recruit to get the school's total (a pure sum). A year or two ago, I added a diminishing returns feature so that each subsequent player adds less and less. Basically, I combine the average of the ratings (thus high quality is rewarded) and a sum of the ratings (since 1 player can't do it all).

I don't generally make tweaks during the year, and certainly not this late in the season, so that I'm not biasing my results to favor UConn or any other team I like. I will certainly, however, think in the offseason if further methodological changes could improve things.
I'm all for any changes you deem appropriate. You're light years ahead when it comes to thinking about this topic. I just appreciate having this fantastic resource.

That said, questioning is good too. Particularly when done (Like Sonny) in a respectful way.

What I see on the horizon from our stat minded members like vowelguy is a "Fantasy Woman's Div 1 Basketball System/League". Then we'll really see how people feel about some of the more controversial players.

Reaction Score
Ohio St:
#19 Mompremier, #30 Primm, #50 Pugh, and? #6 Ogunbowale

Reaction Score
I have it on very good authority that Mompremier (6''4'-5' in the mold of bigs that Summit & Warlick love) is heavy lean to Tn. I have seen her play each H.S. year & she has really progressed under strong, disciplined coaching by Boozer Baumgarten. At this same stage, she is light years ahead of Aneika Henry, who played in Miami before moving in college from JC to UFlorida and now the Atlanta Dream. Currently, Beatrice has to be pushed hard in practice because the state of Florida is not a hotbed of competition and it all comes easily for her; however, her upside potential is enormous. God only knows what Geno could do with her but he expressed little interest.

Reaction Score
Do you also consider how much the class adds to and fulfills a teams needs. Having an over abundance at one position is not as desirable as having balance. A team that gets a bunch of two's and three's in a class would not help their team much if the didn't have any quality points or posts. These considerations would certainly make the rankings harder but practically much more effective.

Reaction Score
Do you also consider how much the class adds to and fulfills a teams needs.

No.
Way too subjective for my tastes. Besides, I am not an evaluator of talent; I leave that to others. My contribution is synthesizing the data coming from disparate sources.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We can agree that VG's efforts provide a remarkable resource to Boneyarders and we appreciate it.

Inevitably, reasonable questions or suggestions arise (as they have, often).

All I can say about that is that participants in such discussions (or, perish the thought, arguments) where statistical data is relied upon (by both sides):

Beware! Statistics are like lampposts -- they provide more support than light on the subject.

Reaction Score
We can agree that VG's efforts provide a remarkable resource to Boneyarders and we appreciate it.

Inevitably, reasonable questions or suggestions arise (as they have, often).

All I can say about that is that participants in such discussions (or, perish the thought, arguments) where statistical data is relied upon (by both sides):

Beware! Statistics are like lampposts -- they provide more support than light on the subject.

But without them we would be laying on the ground in the dark !

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How good is Mompremier? I do think Tennessee will need another post player.

Reaction Score
No.
Way too subjective for my tastes. Besides, I am not an evaluator of talent; I leave that to others. My contribution is synthesizing the data coming from disparate sources.
Totally correct VG. How could you possibly guess who will get them and what they need?
Keep up the great work.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
#36 Mone' Jones has committed to Joanne Boyle and UVA.

G

genosguy

I will also point out that ONLY at UConn is a recruit in the second 50 not considered very good. Many schools have done well, indeed very well, with players ranked "so" lowly.
Interesting comment. Geno and staff cannot think the number 50'th recruit is mush --but a great teammate, and can be taught the UConn system.
What this chart does not say, and I usually like charts, is the EFFECT of the coaching team. Butler some think isn't so great--yet Geno and Bruno are high on her (me too). The Coaching team of UConn has with some mediocre recruiting seasons (not the Johnson, Engiln, Walker)
have made gold out of common cotton (oops I forgot the gold of Hartley/Dolson). That is the X factor , UConn coaching, not addressed in this multiple, un labeled columns--an undefined column is useless to everyone except the builder--oops there goes the teacher in me. I remember creating tables with no heading and the information was only understood by those in my club--we were all spy's and that was 4th grade.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment. Geno and staff cannot think the number 50'th recruit is mush --but a great teammate, and can be taught the UConn system.
What this chart does not say, and I usually like charts, is the EFFECT of the coaching team. Butler some think isn't so great--yet Geno and Bruno are high on her (me too). The Coaching team of UConn has with some mediocre recruiting seasons (not the Johnson, Engiln, Walker)
have made gold out of common cotton (oops I forgot the gold of Hartley/Dolson). That is the X factor , UConn coaching, not addressed in this multiple, un labeled columns--an undefined column is useless to everyone except the builder--oops there goes the teacher in me. I remember creating tables with no heading and the information was only understood by those in my club--we were all spy's and that was 4th grade.

First, I was referring to the uconn fanbase, not the coaches, typically being unimpressed with recruits not in the top 30.

Second, if you don't understand the table, then I would think a teacher would know how to ask nicely, rather than giving snide comments. I've been doing this for so long that I forget what is/isn't easily understood. The last time I posted, someone asked for clarification, and not only did I apologize and respond, I did add some headings since last time.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
genosguy said:

Teacher I have a question: how would a chart such as this based on the rankings of the recruits who have not yet been matriculated into UConn or have any exposure to coaching demonstrate the effect of the UConn coaches?

Thank you for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34