How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll try and clarify, because I think the differences here are extremely narrow

do I want to stay in the AAC? God no
Is B12 better than AAC? God yes
Would I rather watch us win in AAC or lose in B12? The latter
Does B12 make us prettier to BIG? I just don't see it. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, I just think we are on B12's and BIG's radar already and that won't change because we are in the cartel. my concern would be that joining B12 might actually make us less attractive.
in the end, if B12 calls, we have to take it (assuming we first call big Jim and ask him if he'd reconsider), put on a pair of frigging boots, and say yee-haw
Again, just the fact that we'd be in the P5 wouldn't necessarily make us a more attractive add in the B1G.
It's what being in the P5 allows us to do. It lets us continue to improve in other ways that would make us more attractive to the B1G (or ACC).

Reaction Score
I like to keep in mind that only 3 programs have really taken it on the chin, gut, and juevos in going from a BCS conference to a G5: UCONN, Cincy, USF. Whether there are 4 or 5 P conferences, I have a feeling no other P5 program will get left behind. We of course probably feel the pain most because of what we have lost. I guess my angle is that getting in the Big 12 would elevate UCONN and it would be very difficult to envision getting evicted twice. But for CR Rule #1 of course.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing the same tired argument by Big10/Big12 fans against adding UCONN which is that our "football sucks." If UCONN gets into the Big12 and puts together a winning football program we can literally pick our conference later. It might be harder to win in the Big12 but if UCONN has the resources and exposure there is no reason why we can't do it.

UCONN does not even need to win the Big12, only show they can build a competitive program. No conference wants to take on another Rutgers (minus the cable boxes).

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Again, just the fact that we'd be in the P5 wouldn't necessarily make us a more attractive add in the B1G.
It's what being in the P5 allows us to do. It lets us continue to improve in other ways that would make us more attractive to the B1G (or ACC).
It's the extra $25-$30 million. It's the difference in negotiating our apparel contract with Nike while playing against Texas and Oklahoma or Houston and Tulsa. It's the recruiting bump we get playing multiple top 25 schools in both sports. It's the level playing field versus BC, Cuse and Rutgers on the football recruiting trail. Let's be honest, half the guys on the boneyard are going to be looking for winter homes in Texas if and when we get the call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we get this close to THE last life raft, only to see it drift away, where would you rank it?

My rank:

1) Louisville over UConn for last ACC spot. Jurich buys hookers and coke for ACC Presidents while Warde chills by the pool in the Bahamas. The ACC takes a community college over us.

2) Rutgers to Big 10. 50 years from now, there will be threads on message boards asking how the hell Rutgers ended up in the Big 10.

3) Pitt and Syracuse to ACC - How did we lose to these two? This is roughly the equivalent of your wife leaving you to be in a platonic relationship with a gay man.

4) Miami, VTech and BCU 2004 - It hurt at first, but we actually ended up better off without them.

5) TCU to Big 12 - It didn't really impact UConn much, and the only aspect of it that really mattered is that yet another mediocre athletic program got picked by a P5 league instead of UConn.

This one may end up being #1.

If UConn doesn't get in this time, this kick in the nuts is #1 by a mile.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like Flugar but I have no idea how legit his sources at OU are. My main concern is that it's an OU perspective of what Boren wants, and that may not be enough for UConn. Also, there were B12 beat reporters who were reading between the lines after Boren's news conference (before he was publicly muzzled by the other presidents) and they thought he was pro BYU. That would be a huge nut-kick, bigger than the B12 staying at 10 which I would guess is still the most likely outcome -- unless Flugar's source turns out to be correct.

Reaction Score
While not exactly a realignment kicks to the family jewels, it still has an impact, so I would go with UConn's APR suspension versus the penalties levied against UNC to date.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd say its like the Iron Sheik kicking you in the nuts wit his boots.

>

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It would be like getting kicked in the nuts by someone who was removed from his family at an early age and sent to a master to learn how to kick people in the nuts - like a ninja nutkicker.

Reaction Score
If it turns out the firm hired to determine team value for B12 expansion recommended UConn and then the B12 went another direction it would be far and away the worst kick ever.

It would be like a spinning round house kick by Bruce Lee while wearing spurs in between rounds of Mike Tyson working the plums like a speed bag.

The only thing that could make it worse would be if the B12 selected someone else because a UConn fan filed a FOI and the subsequent disclosure caused the B12 to flinch....

Reaction Score
We are 500 miles farther away from their nearest school who is considered an extreme outlier. At first glance adding us is ridicules.
If the only way they get a network is by adding us than they will do it. But we were never more than a necessary evil.
I still believe the ACC or even better the B1G is in our future.
How could rejection by the B12 be a kick unless they opt for Temple over us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are 500 miles farther away from their nearest school who is considered an extreme outlier. At first glance adding us is ridicules.
If the only way they get a network is by adding us than they will do it. But we were never more than a necessary evil.

The Big 10 is not coming, and the ACC does not appear to be coming either. This is like the last helicopter out of Saigon.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is not coming, and the ACC does not appear to be coming either. This is like the last helicopter out of Saigon.
I certainly hope your wrong.
If that's the case than you will get you wish of dropping football.
But we're never going back to the Big East
A10 is more like it.

Sometime things are beyond your control.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I certainly hope your wrong.
If that's the case than you will get you wish of dropping football.
But we're never going back to the Big East
A10 is more like it.

Sometime things are beyond your control.

My wish of dropping football. The $25 million dollar hole in our athletic budget will have nothing to do with it if that happens. It is my fault. Got it.

Reaction Score

The "UConn is too far away argument" is not a legitimate reason for exclusion. Nearly every school in the B12 requires a plane ride and, at 500 miles an hour, distance becomes less of a factor. In fact, UConn would be a much easier transit for B12 schools than WVU. Morgantown, WV is almost a 2 hour ride from the nearest airport...even if the flight is shorter, the bus ride is longer.

I would love to believe an ACC or BIG invite is coming. But logic indicates neither the ACC or BIG will move to try and cut off the Big12 acquiring UConn. Acquiring UConn does not allow the ACC to build a network. FSU/Clemson are the primary expansion deciders in the ACC and they are only concerned with improving their football pedigree and maximizing their immediate revenue. The last ACC addition of Louisville clearly established who is calling the shots and it is FSU/Clemson. UConn will not help the ACC's football pedigree right now and the ACC has already shown it is incapable of thinking beyond the "right now." UConn is a valuable piece for a network but the ACC already screwed that up. If UConn ends up in the ACC it is more likely a result of a current program in the ACC departing.

The BIG may be an option for UConn but the BIG does not need to rush. Regardless of whether UConn is taken by the B12, the BIG will always be the first option. The ACC and B12 may need to battle it out for survival but the BIG and SEC will soon have the luxury of picking the teams they want from the ACC/B12. Unlike the ACC, the BIG is nothing but long term strategic. UConn may be part of the BIG's strategic plan but they are not going to rush their plan to try and stop an inferior conference.

Conclusion: UConn is the best overall program not in the P5 (BYU is excluded for other reasons). If UConn got passed over for a lesser school it would be a colossal kick. It would be worse than before because UConn knows the stakes this time around and has done everything right. Because the B12 is not UConn's dream conference does not minimize the pain. Additionally every time UConn gets passed over it only reinforces a mistaken belief that UConn is not a P5 level program.

UConn's nuts are already bruised and swollen, every kick now hurts more than the one before...

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
My wish of dropping football. The $25 million dollar hole in our athletic budget will have nothing to do with it if that happens. It is my fault. Got it.

So if the Big 10 and ACC aren't coming in 5 years and Big 12 leaves us off, we drop football? I think tax payers would be a bit puzzled by what we are going to do with that structure in East Hartford moving forward. Maybe we can bring in a Hoop Classic of Seton Hall, St. John, and DePaul for a love in to remember the good old days.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate your mind on the present moment."
-Buddah

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If Houston gets in over us I'm done.
I pretty much feel the same. I don't care how much of a "geographic outlier" we might seem to be. Houston makes zero sense in any way, shape, or form. They get in over us and this whole thing is over for me.

Reaction Score
If the B12 does not add UConn then I hope it is Houston the B12 selects.

Houston with only 1 other program would spell the end of the B12...no possibility of a network, no new media markets, and a doubling down on a Texas controlled conference. OU would bolt as soon as soon as the GOR expires (if not sooner) and the B12 would implode.

The worst case for UConn is the B12 expands without us and the B12 is able to built a network and survive. If UConn gets cut out, status quo is our enemy. Houston insures status quo is less likely in the Big12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So if the Big 10 and ACC aren't coming in 5 years and Big 12 leaves us off, we drop football? I think tax payers would be a bit puzzled by what we are going to do with that structure in East Hartford moving forward. Maybe we can bring in a Hoop Classic of Seton Hall, St. John, and DePaul for a love in to remember the good old days.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate your mind on the present moment."
-Buddah

Ever heard of the "sunk cost fallacy"?

Are you going to fill the $25 million hole in the athletic department's budget?

Reaction Score
What do you know? You make yourself look as credible as those WV tweeters.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What do you know? You make yourself look as credible as those WV tweeters.

He's not really wrong....if you modify his statement to read "...the B1G and ACC aren't coming in time...". That's the real problem or at least the fear. No, I don't know anything either. But I am seriously worried that we can't sustain this for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom