How would you rank the kick we will receive soon? | The Boneyard

How would you rank the kick we will receive soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we get this close to THE last life raft, only to see it drift away, where would you rank it?

My rank:

1) Louisville over UConn for last ACC spot. Jurich buys hookers and coke for ACC Presidents while Warde chills by the pool in the Bahamas. The ACC takes a community college over us.

2) Rutgers to Big 10. 50 years from now, there will be threads on message boards asking how the hell Rutgers ended up in the Big 10.

3) Pitt and Syracuse to ACC - How did we lose to these two? This is roughly the equivalent of your wife leaving you to be in a platonic relationship with a gay man.

4) Miami, VTech and BCU 2004 - It hurt at first, but we actually ended up better off without them.

5) TCU to Big 12 - It didn't really impact UConn much, and the only aspect of it that really mattered is that yet another mediocre athletic program got picked by a P5 league instead of UConn.

This one may end up being #1.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
After the first 3. UL to the ACC makes no sense, and Rutgers and Pitt are garbage. We make little sense to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I'd rank it last because, at least at the current moment, I have pretty much no hope that the non-key tweeters have any idea what they're talking about or that we are actually likely to end up in the B12. I've already had the football pulled away too many times to really think I have a shot at actually kicking the ball.

Reaction Score
It would suck the most, but as others have said, in reality we aren't a geographic fit for the Big 12. The ACC and B1G are another ballgame.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Big 12 was always the longshot that you take because the payoff is great rather than something that you think will happen. So though sucky, it wouldn't be horrible. Of course that assumes that no one else from the AAC gets the nod.

Reaction Score
I've never taken UConn to the B12 as anything more than a ploy to get the ACC or the B1G interested.
In so many ways we're improbable, but in CR you never know.

Reaction Score
The kicker will be the Big 12 will take like Cincy and UMass or Buffalo, to gain penetration in the "Northeast Market" they will tell us.

Reaction Score
To me nothing will be worse than Louisville taking that spot in the ACC. The geographical fit. The BE rivalries renewed. The ACC president saying that in the end academics was going to matter.
All the time I've spent reading the CR board since we got screwed has cost my children a father. The repercussions run deep.

Reaction Score
If we lose out this time it will be the all time worst. Here is why...

1. When Miami, Va Tech and BC left there was no sense of panic. They were primarily football schools and UCONN was a basketball school. We still had our big rivals (Syracuse, Pitt) and the Big East was still a top basketball conference. Truth be told, we should have recognize the world was changing and UCONN was a basketball school in shifting football based world but we did not pay heed.

2. When Syracuse and Pitt left for the ACC, UCONN was crushed but there was hope. ACC was not done expanding and we were the natural choice. Our best rivals and partners (Syracuse and Pitt) were in the ACC and surely they would vouch for us. UCONN had the right academics and we'd been given the secret ACC head node. Our exile was only temporary...UCONN would be in the ACC, it was only a matter of time.

3. When Rutgers left, it was no huge deal. We were "all in" for the ACC. The ACC was a basketball league and all our friends were already in it. Sure, the Big10 sounded awesome but we were a lock for the ACC.

4. Louisville was the day the world crashed. Only then did we realize our best partners had betrayed us. Syracuse, Pittsburgh and BC weren't interested in playing UCONN. No, they wanted to kill UCONN and take our place. Like a scene in Revenant UCONN was left to die alone.

Since then UCONN has rebuild. We changed coaches and we've battled to stay relevant. When conference realignment talk started again "UCONN" was met with chuckles and mockery. But UCONN perceivered and through a concerted and unrelenting effort, UCONN has risen to the top of the expansion heap. To come this close and to do everything right only to lose this time would be the most crushing. But if it happens UCONN will still drive on....

I like to think of ACC Commissioner Swofford with a pounding headache this morning while screaming "UCONN???UCONN??? Why won't they just die." Kind of like a scene of out a James Bond movie...

Reaction Score
Welp, a severe kick would be the Big 12 taking two but not UCONN. If there is no action, it's just another flesh wound. Even the Black Knight still had life after losing 4 limbs. UCONN will end up in a power conference but waiting 10 years will suck. I'd put this crack at #3 but I'd move Pitt and cuse to #2. Rutgers wasn't so much a kick in the crotch as it was a miracle. L-ville by far the biggest joke.

Reaction Score
If all of the rhetoric of UConn to the XII turns out to be a smoke screen, it will be Armagedon for the program. Brings to mind that famous picture taken at the end of the Viet Nam War of the last helicoptor filling on top of the U.S. embassy with refugees as the North Vietnamese army was bearing down on the position. UConn doesn't want to be prverbially left on the roof watching that helicoptor fly away.

Reaction Score
If all of the rhetoric of UConn to the XII turns out to be a smoke screen, it will be Armagedon for the program. Brings to mind that famous picture taken at the end of the Viet Nam War of the last helicoptor filling on top of the U.S. embassy with refugees as the North Vietnamese army was bearing down on the position. UConn doesn't want to be prverbially left on the roof watching that helicoptor fly away.
Ever since Pitt/SU bounced the conventional wisdom is "UConn is going to be all right". One of these times were not going to be, and we will start seeing our successful coaches leave for better paying jobs. If the 12 expands, I hope to everything our number is called, and once there we do everything in our power to help ensure that conference becomes part of the P4.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten made clear it's not done expanding and, ironically, the most emo poster here pretends they are done. Can we still aim for the Big East??

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I say we take in Army so that we can claim the Army /Navy game for the AAC .
We got the bright lights and the big cities.
We got Disney and Maudi Gras; Broadway and Elvis; the Seventh Fleet and the ghost of Sam Houston.
We need to add Generals Grant and Patton to our team.
America's league
All those clowns got are cornfields and cornballs.
We just need to win, baby, and the country is ours.
Go AAC.

Reaction Score
Taking timing out of the equation (so, removing the whole "last life boat" as a criteria), for me it would be:
1) SyraPitt to the ACC...what ? Two teams we had been beating in FB and BB on the regular; UConn was fresh off of winning a Men's BB NC, Women's BB had won 2 NC's and reached the FF in the last 3 seasons, and Football had just won the BE and went to a BCS bowl. UConn sports were at their pinnacle. Mind boggling really. More so than every other move that happened there-after... Friggin Hathaway.
2) UL to the ACC... the fact the ACC reversed course on their "like-minded academic institutions" criteria was mind blowing. But, UConn FB was sinking fast under PPGDL and ACC was looking for a FB school (who also was very good in hoops) to appease southern schools. Seeing this was a power play between Tobacco Road and FSU/Clemson... it still sucked, but I was less surprised given the landscape.
3) RU to the B1G. Wasn't too surprised given their proximity to NYC, AAU, and they'd been working on this for a very long time. Still laughable when you factor in every meaningful metric not related to # of cable subscribers and AAU.
4) BC/VT/UM - meh, we were just upgrading FB so not a real shocker here.
5) WVU and TCU to the B12 - good for them.

If we add in the "last life boat" criteria, if the B12 expands and we are not a part of it, then that would be #1!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Big 12 goes to 12 without us, it's number 1.

If Big 12 stays at 10, I still think Louisville to the ACC will hurt the most. Mainly due to the buildup, the feeling of being in and then seeing momentum fade until the late night McMurphy tweet that ended it all.

Reaction Score
Like Fishy said above, it would hurt because it may be the last life boat out of the G5 for a decade.

That said, I still am not sure I really believe that we are a candidate for the Big 12, regardless of what is being written at the moment.

Hopefully I'll be surprised, but I honestly just don't see how Texas and co. let it happen.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this being the last ship out for a decade. Haven't people who actually matter say stuff is going to happen over the next 5 years?

Reaction Score
It will be epic. I’ve already purchased my Conference Realignment CupTM in preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom