How UConn WBB team has made undersized four-guard lineup work | The Boneyard

How UConn WBB team has made undersized four-guard lineup work

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love hearing Paige referred to as a “Power Forward.” I can’t imagine that there’s any true power forward that isn’t terrified at the prospect of being matched up with Paige. :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I love hearing Paige referred to as a “Power Forward.” I can’t imagine that there’s any true power forward that isn’t terrified at the prospect of being matched up with Paige. :eek:
40E3151A-C102-490E-B8E4-53631D66A771.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I recall, right after Geno said that Paige is the quintessential power forward, he said, "Just ask her!"

Which puts a different spin on his initial statement.
Of course it’s a bit tongue in cheek. But the fact is that Paige is out there battling opposing forwards on defense in the paint, where she’s giving up a few inches and a lot of lbs, and largely holding her own. On the other hand, when she’s on offense, opposing forwards have absolutely no hope of guarding her.

Reaction Score
But the fact is that Paige is out there battling opposing forwards on defense in the paint, where she’s giving up a few inches and a lot of lbs, and largely holding her own. On the other hand, when she’s on offense, opposing forwards have absolutely no hope of guarding her.
So true, and she does it the old-fashioned way, with quick feet rather than trying to out-muscle them.

Plus she is a very quick leaper. In that surprising steal on Jordan King's inbounds pass, she leapt straight up to block it, and then leapt up a second time to grab it before Jordan could snatch it back. Getting off the floor twice in a row like that ain't easy.

Reaction Score
Geno's vast BB I.Q. is all you need to know for him to solve any Uconn problem, if it is solvable.Uconn has the players that can adapt to what ever Geno wants them to do as they don't know that they can't do what Geno wants them to do. Our players are confident, new and old,capable and are like a sponge soaking up the game and all it's ramifications. This team is believing in itself that they are good and will prove it. Size helps a lot, but you can't beat attitude and efficiency as it comes from within and Uconn has plenty of it.The remainder of the BE schedule will not be a problem for Uconn.GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Of course it’s a bit tongue in cheek. But the fact is that Paige is out there battling opposing forwards on defense in the paint, where she’s giving up a few inches and a lot of lbs, and largely holding her own. On the other hand, when she’s on offense, opposing forwards have absolutely no hope of guarding her.
Agreed, and when opponents attempt to post her up the most important defender is the person guarding the passer by applying tremendous ball pressure. The good news is the other players in UConn’s small lineup are more than capable of doing just that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Exceptionally well written article.

Now I know Geno is not a magician like Merlin. But damn, it sure seems like it. His vast reservoir of knowledge of basketball and people allows him to shape this team. He and the staff know how to impart the knowledge needed for the team to succeed.

Let's not forget to give major kudos to the team. In one month they have followed directions, worked the tails off to be at this stage. And they are still learning and growing. Who would have thought to have Paige play the power forward slot? People were worried about Paige and Nika sharing the PG slot. Now he inserts KK and Ash as starters and they start to light it up and haven't stopped. Finally, and I think the best move, is having Aubrey as the 6th man. She comes off the bench and changes the game. Opponents don't have an answer for her.

The defense has evolved into that physical, pressure defense that takes teams out of their comfort zone. Just ask Marquette.

GO UCONN!!!!!!

Reaction Score
UConn has players that are too good when they match up on size. This game is going to be replayed several times when they play conference opponents because they also don't have any size. Paige showed again she is the best player on the floor and can get her points efficiently. AE controlled the inside and the role players did a good job with their roles.

I don't know if Georgetown has any quality guard play but to me they will provide the first test of a team with size for UConn. I am pretty excited to see how UConn does handling it compared to the earlier games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So true, and she does it the old-fashioned way, with quick feet rather than trying to out-muscle them.

Plus she is a very quick leaper. In that surprising steal on Jordan King's inbounds pass, she leapt straight up to block it, and then leapt up a second time to grab it before Jordan could snatch it back. Getting off the floor twice in a row like that ain't easy.

That was vintage Maya/Stewie/Gabby/Phee. They did that regularly. They are longer and quicker than you think.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Georgetown has any quality guard play but to me they will provide the first test of a team with size for UConn. I am pretty excited to see how UConn does handling it compared to the earlier games.
I’ve long admired Kelsey Ransom’s play. If she’s healthy, she makes Georgetown dangerous.

Reaction Score
I'm really not surprised that they are making this work. This is vintage 2008-2010 stuff. Geno, CD, Jamelle, and Tonya are all back together again and can draw on those experiences. You've got Edwards, Paige, and Nika playing the roles of Tina, Maya, and Renee with a bunch of good freshman like Hayes, Doty, and Faris surrounding them aka Shade, Arnold, and Q. What was old is new again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom