How to land ALL the kids on our radar/wish list | The Boneyard

How to land ALL the kids on our radar/wish list

Reaction Score
As the Brits might say, "By jove, I think I've got it!" Given that we seem to be showing interest in a whole lot of possible recruits - more than roster size would allow us to bring in - what about starting a Junior Varsity and/ or a Frosh team? Years back there were such things. Am going way outside the box here, but I know a lot of us want to "get em all." Saying this with some tongue in cheek, just so ya know. But....

By the way, it is a fact that we already have Charli Collier committed for 2018 and checking in at 6'5, correct? That is going to be a mighty tall and mighty mighty roster, with or without the JV and Frosh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The UCONN roster size at the start of the 2017-18 will be 13 players. The UCONN roster size at the start of the 2018-19 could be as few 11 players.
The scholarship limit is 15. UCONN has never been close to the limit recently. There is plenty of room to ad a few quality players (at least 2 a year) to the roster.
Graphically it looks like this:
View attachment 23823

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why did you not add C. Collier to 2019-20 and 2020-2021?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The UCONN roster size at the start of the 2017-18 will be 13 players. The UCONN roster size at the start of the 2018-19 could be as few 11 players.
The scholarship limit is 15. UCONN has never been close to the limit recently. There is plenty of room to ad a few quality players (at least 2 a year) to the roster.
View attachment 23823

Forgot to add C. Collier to 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
upload_2017-7-28_12-37-3.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If the NCAA would resume the "frosh" teams in Division 1 basketball, that would address the problem of not having enough scholarships for all of the recruits a team wants to offer. I'm not so sure that concept would go over as well as it did back in the day. Too many incoming recruits (and their parents) have their sights set on varsity play their freshman year. It would give them a vehicle to learn to play at the college level against other freshman and junior college programs.

I'm not familiar with how that worked. What happened to the freshmen players the next year? Did they have to move up the the varsity, or were they allowed to play on the frosh team as a sophomore? What happens if the 15 scholarships on the varsity are all gone, then what? Where does that leave the players who can't stay on the frosh team, but are not ready to move up? Most teams only have 2-4 seniors on their rosters at a time.

Reaction Score
As the Brits might say, "By jove, I think I've got it!" Given that we seem to be showing interest in a whole lot of possible recruits - more than roster size would allow us to bring in - what about starting a Junior Varsity and/ or a Frosh team? Years back there were such things. Am going way outside the box here, but I know a lot of us want to "get em all." Saying this with some tongue in cheek, just so ya know. But....

By the way, it is a fact that we already have Charli Collier committed for 2018 and checking in at 6'5, correct? That is going to be a mighty tall and mighty mighty roster, with or without the JV and Frosh.

Professor Higgins: Ow wooden it be loverly; by jove, you got it!!
I attended a number of JV games and then the Boy's first team games at the old Field House. That was Loverly!

Reaction Score

FAntastic ---meaning great for fans. Beautiful chart, viewable.

My belief that Geno limits the size of his Roster is two fold (obviously just a guess):
1. He does not feel comfortable or believes XX is a manageable number--the number seems flexible.
2. As this year at 13, the two open slots, allow him an opportunity to pick up some great kids --should that happen.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA would resume the "frosh" teams in Division 1 basketball, that would address the problem of not having enough scholarships for all of the recruits a team wants to offer. I'm not so sure that concept would go over as well as it did back in the day. Too many incoming recruits (and their parents) have their sights set on varsity play their freshman year. It would give them a vehicle to learn to play at the college level against other freshman and junior college programs.

I'm not familiar with how that worked. What happened to the freshmen players the next year? Did they have to move up the the varsity, or were they allowed to play on the frosh team as a sophomore? What happens if the 15 scholarships on the varsity are all gone, then what? Where does that leave the players who can't stay on the frosh team, but are not ready to move up? Most teams only have 2-4 seniors on their rosters at a time.

CARN: You make a good point (as usual) about the kids/parents these days vs. in the day.
In response to your question about how it worked: in our league (perhaps in all or most leagues back then) frosh could only play on the freshmen team, regardless of talent level. You had to be selected for the team though, and those try outs were brutal...lots of high school hot shots going at it in endless scrimmages.
Then, soph year you either made the varsity or you didn't. You could not play on the frosh team as a soph. There was no JV team in our league, though we did have them in high school. We did retain guys on the overall college varsity squad who did not travel to games or suit up for the home games. Think that covers you Q.

Reaction Score
Professor Higgins: Ow wooden it be loverly; by jove, you got it!!
I attended a number of JV games and then the Boy's first team games at the old Field House. That was Loverly!

BROAD: which Field House, pls...thanks...curious

Reaction Score
whay
BROAD: which Field House, pls...thanks...curious[/QUOT'
Way back when the basketballs had laces and some of them were square, near the faculty Cafeteria, forget the street name, not far from the RoTC and the rifle range behind it. It wasn't far from the current gampel
Before Gampel was a glimpse in any brain --was the UConn Field house. At lunch time, often, I would join in the pick up games. If there was another--I didn't know of it.
(while early BB had laces, none in the field house did). Nearly ever place every place I mention no longer exists. UCMiami probably knows of what I write. I'm not really sure --what your question is.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

When the NCAA started allowing freshmen to play varsity, it started the end of the UCLA dynasty. Players started to choose to go to schools where they could play right away and talent started to spread throughout the country.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
CARN: You make a good point (as usual) about the kids/parents these days vs. in the day.
In response to your question about how it worked: in our league (perhaps in all or most leagues back then) frosh could only play on the freshmen team, regardless of talent level. You had to be selected for the team though, and those try outs were brutal...lots of high school hot shots going at it in endless scrimmages.
Then, soph year you either made the varsity or you didn't. You could not play on the frosh team as a soph. There was no JV team in our league, though we did have them in high school. We did retain guys on the overall college varsity squad who did not travel to games or suit up for the home games. Think that covers you Q.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
whay

BROAD: Thanks for the clarification, my friend; I just couldn't recall where you had gone to school, and lots of places have a "Field House." Also, now some of can just imagine what sort of "pick up" a rascal like you might have taken interest in..;)

Reaction Score
BROAD: Thanks for the clarification, my friend; I just couldn't recall where you had gone to school, and lots of places have a "Field House." Also, now some of can just imagine what sort of "pick up" a rascal like you might have taken interest in..;)
MY BAD:
Because this is a Uconn Women's (or all the other Uconn ) sports site--I assumed Uconn was understood--I'll not do that again (at least in the near future--memory.) As Dan Quale (sp) once said--a mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Yea, they as many other Colleges, HS's, did used the JV/first team concept. I liked it. But even then there were outstanding Jv's that were used on both teams. In that old Field house--in our section, only guys--and my preference then as now is girls--pickups, were after those games. But my wife frowned on my attempts. Fun place that Field house--fans were right on top of the players, close tight quarters--fans got the full college treatment in that Field house. The seats were no better than the cheap seats at Gampel however.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks for the great chart.
However, seeing the names Williams and Nurse on there only once makes me very sad.
Sending five high, first-round draft picks to the WNBA over the next two years is bittersweet. While it certainly validates the quality of the program, it always hurts to lose that much talent. That said, just as the resilience of the program was tested with the departure of legends such as Bird, DT, Maya and Stewie, as long as Geno is in Storrs, the Huskies will continue to welcome future generations of transcendent players to campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom