OT: - How to get fitted for golf clubs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How to get fitted for golf clubs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I'm just going to work on getting my swing more consistent this year and then get new clubs and get fitted. I probably will get used (Craigslist, Ebay) clubs. Will likely get ones with graphite shaft or the lighter steel shafts. Saw a set that sparked my interest but shaft says Senior Flex- I am 65, but should I worry much about the flex? Would love to get more distance.

One thing a fitting will do is measure your swing speed which helps determines which shafts would work best with you.

And it's more than just swing speed. Smooth swings will generate a different kick point on a shaft than a more aggressive swing which has more acceleration.

Reaction Score
I think I'm just going to work on getting my swing more consistent this year and then get new clubs and get fitted. I probably will get used (Craigslist, Ebay) clubs. Will likely get ones with graphite shaft or the lighter steel shafts. Saw a set that sparked my interest but shaft says Senior Flex- I am 65, but should I worry much about the flex? Would love to get more distance.
Assuming you are going to keep these clubs for a few years, and you're looking for more distance, I'd say the senior flex is right up your alley. May I ask the brand?

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Thanks for the answers. But, I still don’t get it entirely. Is it just with new clubs or can you get fitted with used clubs? For what it’s worth, I’m 5’9. Do they change the length of the club? I was looking to upgrade to nice set of Callaway Apex or Taylormade P790, but they’d be used- is fitting still possible? Oh, and I live near Keene, NH.
Some very helpful suggestions posted. I am pretty sure Apex and P790 are forged clubs. If you were single digit handicap, or approaching single digits, these may be fine. I would strongly recommend that you look hard at more forgiving clubs. I would hope that a good club fitter would lead you in that direction.
If you are adept at moving the ball flight, cut - fade- draw, to take advantage of pin placement, wind, etc, you might consider a forged iron. I am guessing that you feel you have succeeded if you hit anywhere on the green - irons with forgiveness are for you.

Reaction Score
Some very helpful suggestions posted. I am pretty sure Apex and P790 are forged clubs. If you were single digit handicap, or approaching single digits, these may be fine. I would strongly recommend that you look hard at more forgiving clubs. I would hope that a good club fitter would lead you in that direction.
If you are adept at moving the ball flight, cut - fade- draw, to take advantage of pin placement, wind, etc, you might consider a forged iron. I am guessing that you feel you have succeeded if you hit anywhere on the green - irons with forgiveness are for you.
There is nothing inherently more difficult about playing with forged irons, it just is used more frequently in irons designed for lower handicaps for a number of reasons (feel, ability to bend the irons for adjustments, cost, etc.). The P790 for example, are targeted at mid to higher handicaps and are incredibly forgiving and designed for more distance and height at the expense of spin and control that a lower handicap would probably want. P770/Apex Pros are the types of irons that a mid to high handicap is probably better served avoiding.

Reaction Score
Assuming you are going to keep these clubs for a few years, and you're looking for more distance, I'd say the senior flex is right up your alley. May I ask the brand?
Looking at Taylormade clubs- several models- M4, Sim Max, P760, Speedblade- with graphite shaft. Trying to not spend too much but still get decent clubs that have some forgiveness.

Reaction Score
FWIW..If you haven't done so already before you purchase any clubs.. A decent baseline source of information is Golf Digest Hot List and Golf Magazine Club Test.. Out the past month for 2023.. As an example.. Looking at Game Improvement clubs from different manufacturers might give you some background on their approach to that style.

Would suggest that it would not replace the value of a fitter but it might simply help educate you on different categories of club design and who those categories are prioritizing from different manufacturers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom