How this season's UConn squad looks like 2003 Huskies | The Boneyard

How this season's UConn squad looks like 2003 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. -- With its road win over second-ranked Notre Dame on Wednesday, UConn has opened the 2016-17 season at 8-0 to extend its current winning streak to 83 games.

The 72-61 victory over the Fighting Irish marked the second time this season the Huskies -- ranked third in the AP Top 25 preseason poll -- beat the nation's No. 2 team.

Prior to the Nov. 17 matchup with then-No. 2 Baylor, UConn coach Geno Auriemma said: "I'm somewhat realistic about what my expectation level is. I'm realistic about what we can do, and I think the previous couple of years we would sit here and tell you that we were the favorite to win the national championship. That's not the case this year. I know it, and I think everyone on our team knows it."

But let's be realistic: It's time to talk about the Huskies being the favorites -- again.

We've seen this movie before. When Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams and Asjha Jones graduated after winning the 2002 national championship with a perfect 39-0 record, many thought the Huskies would be down on their luck the next year.

The AP preseason poll ranked the 2003 Huskies fourth; the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll had UConn third. The Huskies weren't supposed to extend a 39-game winning streak to 70. They weren't supposed to go 37-1. They definitely weren't supposed to win their second consecutive NCAA championship.

How this season's UConn squad looks like 2003 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog